The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smart Flex L-Plate

ondebanks

I can't load that page because
" Threat Reason: Domain reported and verified as serving malware. "

But based on the pics that Guy and Sunchai posted here, it looks like a clever solution. The game changer, if I'm reading the pics correctly, is that the L part is not in a fixed position along the side of the body...there is fore-aft movement allowed for the body foot plate, with respect to the L.

This means that the concern that Ken flagged ("Only stickler on L-plates for the Phase camera body is making sure there is enough clearance to use the electromagnetic release cable") can be bypassed. Slide the camera a little backwards to give space for the e-release.

It also means that even the older AF and AFD bodies, whose very desirable mechanical mirror-up levers on the side foul the existing L plates for the AFDII and later, should now be usable with an L-plate unit. That would be nice for my AFD, should I ever upgrade from my square format DB (you don't need an L plate when you shoot square! :thumbup:)

Ray

ondebanks

I am sure that the following image may help.

Sunchai.
Thanks, it certainly does help! It confirms what I was hoping for.

About the only thing I would improve about this design is the very bottom of the unit: that should also be machined with Arca-plate grooves, so that it could slot straight into the Arca-type clamping tripod heads that nearly everyone uses these days.

Otherwise, we would have to screw a separate Arca-type plate onto the base of the unit, and that introduces a risk of twisting flexure. It would also become an even more complicated stack of components! -

Tripod legs - head with Arca-clamp - Arca plate - L-plate base with clamp for L-unit - L-unit with Arca clamp - Arca plate for Camera - Camera!

Ray

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My ordered HASSELBLAD V-SYSTEM Version is on its way to me .
It is in the customs clearence process in Cologne .
I am impatiently waiting . :bugeyes:

kdphotography

Ray, you beat me to it! The arca swiss standard for quick release is most popular----would be much more convenient/efficient and most importantly more stable---if the as quick release plate were cnc machined part of the base unit.

When buying equipment at this level in Dante's Inferno, attention to details (both small and large) mean everything. When I buy something, I want to be able to use it as soon as it gets off the white or big brown truck that has just screeched to a stop at my doorstep. That means not having to buy or scrounge around looking in the photo junk drawer for a separate quick release plate to attach or a reducing bushing. (My understanding is the Flex L-Plate takes a 1/4 screw and needs the reducer bushing for the Phase DF 3/8----I prefer 3/8 all around as being stronger and more stable btw). I note that RRS packages the small bits and even an allan wrench with their products.

Nice flexibility though as Ray points out again (as long as Phase doesn't change the bottom body configuration in the future), the Flex L-Plate has backwards and forward compatibility on all Phase/Mamiya AF/AFD/DF bodies. :thumbup:

Ken

Sunchai

Thanks, it certainly does help! It confirms what I was hoping for.

About the only thing I would improve about this design is the very bottom of the unit: that should also be machined with Arca-plate grooves, so that it could slot straight into the Arca-type clamping tripod heads that nearly everyone uses these days.

Otherwise, we would have to screw a separate Arca-type plate onto the base of the unit, and that introduces a risk of twisting flexure. It would also become an even more complicated stack of components! -

Tripod legs - head with Arca-clamp - Arca plate - L-plate base with clamp for L-unit - L-unit with Arca clamp - Arca plate for Camera - Camera!

Ray
Ray, I think many will be agree to have the arca plate buit in to the bottom of the base
May I share, to built in the ready to go for arca will have to increase the thickness
Of the bottom base for at least 5 mm. this will be effect to the weight and size
Of the unit. I am agree that the one who have the arca systems will more like it.
But they still have many also, who never use and no willing to use the arca systems.
Should not enjoy to carry more extra thickness and extra weight.
The other topic is the safety. To have the arca plate ready at the bottle the most concerning should be the safety. How to prevent the Smart Flex with camera slip off from the arca clamp. As there are too many arca clamp system available in the market each one have their own designed and security system.
I think may be it will be good also to have the arca clamp which matching and safety to the arca ready on the Smart Flex.
Tripod legs - head with Arca- Clamp(special designed)- arca ready on Smart Flex- Arca plate for camera- Camera?

Sunchai

I have found the following table which showed the load of screw which may be useful:
The table at the (Grade S)showed
the Load of ¼ inch screw is 2192 Lb.
the load of 3/8 inch screw is 5354 Lb.
weight of Phase One or Mamiya body is (1030g.or2.266 Lb.)
weight of the most heavy lens is75-150mm = (1800g. or 3.96 Lb.)
weight of the digital is difference belong to what digital back is mounting on,
the weight given with in 2000g. or 4.4 Lb.
total weight = body+digitalback+lens (2.266+3.96+4.4)= 10.626 Lb.or 4,830g.
Sunchai.

Attachments

ondebanks

I have found the following table which showed the load of screw which may be useful:
The table at the (Grade S)showed
the Load of ¼ inch screw is 2192 Lb.
the load of 3/8 inch screw is 5354 Lb.
weight of Phase One or Mamiya body is (1030g.or2.266 Lb.)
weight of the most heavy lens is75-150mm = (1800g. or 3.96 Lb.)
weight of the digital is difference belong to what digital back is mounting on,
the weight given with in 2000g. or 4.4 Lb.
total weight = body+digitalback+lens (2.266+3.96+4.4)= 10.626 Lb.or 4,830g.
Sunchai.
It isn't the load weight which is the issue for cameras and heads; it's the lever moment, the propensity to twist around the axis of the screw. The 645 body plate has 2 pins to prevent this, but there is not a similar dedicated anti-rotation fitting on the base of the Flex unit, so any plate or head (Arca or not) you attach it to would not keep it as rigid as if the unit itself were machined with Arca QR grooves.

I speak from long and often frustrating experience when it comes to trying to keep cameras, longer/heavier lenses, or telescopes from twisting on their tripod screws. Even tightening things to breaking point was sometimes not enough.

You really need the design to be "anti-rotation" at every interface in the chain...and the best anti-rotation interface of all is one where there is actually no interface, just a one-piece machined unit.

"How to prevent the Smart Flex with camera slip off from the arca clamp" - I think you are worrying unnecessarily about this. There is no slippage when an Arca-style clamp is sufficiently tight. Most of my Arca-plate devices came with no 'security screw', and I took the screws off those which had them, as they are an unnecessary nuisance. Anyway, letting your camera slip off the clamp falls into the realm of "user error"; Flex can't concern themselves with what a clumsy user might do. They should just focus on the designing it for best performance.

Ray

edouard

great!
So we should contact/order via ksc.co.th?
They just show an email (no web e-store)!
How did you pay (bank to bank transfer)? Has somebody actually received to real product?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
great!
So we should contact/order via ksc.co.th?
They just show an email (no web e-store)!
How did you pay (bank to bank transfer)? Has somebody actually received to real product?

Contact the following address: [email protected] (refer to the getdpi forum)
Mine will be delivered tomorrow afternoon .
Ask for payment method . I will pay by PAYPAL . That is the easiest way .

Sunchai

It isn't the load weight which is the issue for cameras and heads; it's the lever moment, the propensity to twist around the axis of the screw. The 645 body plate has 2 pins to prevent this, but there is not a similar dedicated anti-rotation fitting on the base of the Flex unit, so any plate or head (Arca or not) you attach it to would not keep it as rigid as if the unit itself were machined with Arca QR grooves.

I speak from long and often frustrating experience when it comes to trying to keep cameras, longer/heavier lenses, or telescopes from twisting on their tripod screws. Even tightening things to breaking point was sometimes not enough.

You really need the design to be "anti-rotation" at every interface in the chain...and the best anti-rotation interface of all is one where there is actually no interface, just a one-piece machined unit.

"How to prevent the Smart Flex with camera slip off from the arca clamp" - I think you are worrying unnecessarily about this. There is no slippage when an Arca-style clamp is sufficiently tight. Most of my Arca-plate devices came with no 'security screw', and I took the screws off those which had them, as they are an unnecessary nuisance. Anyway, letting your camera slip off the clamp falls into the realm of "user error"; Flex can't concern themselves with what a clumsy user might do. They should just focus on the designing it for best performance.

Ray
Ray,
in the case of the protection from slip off is not necessary may be the attachment image arca style
may be help some. The 2 bars have built in for anti-rotation.
this anti-rotation arca plate size is 50mm.wide 52mm.deep from the front and 10mm thick but only increase the total high of 8mm when mounted to the smart Flex.

gazwas

Ray,
in the case of the protection from slip off is not necessary may be the attachment image arca style
this anti-rotation arca plate size is 50mm.wide 52mm.deep from the front and 10mm thick but only increase the total high of 8mm when mounted to the smart Flex.
Do you have an Arca part number for that plate as it looks like it solves the potential twist problem?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Do you have an Arca part number for that plate as it looks like it solves the potential twist problem?
As far as I can see , there is no such part in the ARCA camera plate program . I have some ARCA and NOVOFLEX plates here and will see if I can make them fit the L-PLATE . Using a milling machine of course .

ondebanks

Ray,
Ah - that's more like it. OK, it's an extra piece to attach, but it does avoid the rotation problem. Is this another SmartFlex component?

Ray

gazwas

As far as I can see , there is no such part in the ARCA camera plate program.
That's what I thought. :(

Rules me out then.

I'm about to buy a buy a Cube because of the Arca mount rigidity but the lack of a built in Arca mount or inclusion of a anti twist Arca adapter puts me off. A shame because it looks excellent!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Gareth

Don't throw the towel .
My L-PLATE should arrive this afternoon . Wait for my update to see what can be machined . I think the only trouble I see in the moment is , that a reworked anodized part can not be anodized again , so that the reworked surface would have to stay blank .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The Smart Flex L-Plate arrived . Its is very well made .
There are some ARCA plates , which can be reworked . I will figure that out later . The base plate must have at least 50x55 mm and the hole should be in the center . Rework will not take long and is possible .

dizzyg44

poo, can't view the video.....

This page has been blocked based on website reputation

This web site ( Smart Flex L-Plate | KSE.co.th ) has been blocked because it has been determined by Web Reputation Filters to be a security threat to your computer or the corporate network. This web site has been associated with malware/spyware.
Reputation Score for Smart Flex L-Plate | KSE.co.th -7.4

Reputation scores can range from -10 (worst) through 10 (best).

Feel free to find more details using the reputation lookup tool: http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/rep_lookup

Threat Type: othermalware
Threat Reason: Domain reported and verified as serving malware.

Sunchai

Ah - that's more like it. OK, it's an extra piece to attach, but it does avoid the rotation problem. Is this another SmartFlex component?

Ray
This plate have designed and made for friend in Phase One.
it will increase the weight from 400 g.(smart Flex alone) to 460 g.
It was no intension, including this plate as the Smart Flex component.
But If the plate is useful it may available for the one who want it.