The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smart Flex L-Plate

Sunchai

Dear Ray,

Thank you so much for your comments, it is useful and effected to the improvement.

Best Regards,

Sunchai.

Steve Hendrix

Also, we had a request for whether there is room for the tether cable to clear the SmartFlex Bracket for the Leica S Camera, and there is. See attached images (thanks Sunchai).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Sunchai

If it is the question so the image is clear.

The room of the flange distance is clear when setting up with the Smart Flex L-Plate.
This will allow the Rodenstock HR Digaron-W32mm/f4 to be use with the Sony A7r.

Sunchai.

Sunchai

the stand alone Swing and Tilt unit have +13/-13 degree of movement and it self-locking.
The red line showing the center of the tilting movement.
The red arrow showing the direction of the movement when turning the tilt knob.
And the same also applied to the Swing.

Sunchai.:)

Sunchai

Here is the question from Phase One friend Germany:

What is the shortest lens that is possible use with and without DF body and Copal Shutter?

3 family of lenes can be use.

With the DF body (the picture showing setting at infinity focus)

Lens from the copal family, the 90mm should be the shortest one.
(in the image is SK Apo digitar 4.5/90mm)
From the Hasselblad family at the infinity focusing, it's still have small room to play with,
From the RZ,RB family is no question, it have lot of space to play with.

Without the DF body the picture is clear that the edge of the lens can come very close to the image plane. Then all lens should be add in.

Sunchai

The question is:

Can phase one camera body go with Hasselblad lens? still have rise and fall plus swing...

Also any chance can your smart carrier go rise and fall 3.5cm each way?

Thanks,so much for your interesting

With the Has. Lens and DF body it is only small room to play at infinity focus.
+10/-10mm. shifting should be ok or swing and tilt for 5 degree.
However it will be more room to play with when doing the close up.

The rise and fall on the rear standard of the carrier is limit to +14/-14mm.
if it may help…. the rise and fall on front standard will plus more of
the vertical shifting distance.
However,It will not help if the stitching on the rear standard is the case.

Only with P1 body and Sony A7r (for now) the horizontal shift can be
increase to +28/-28 mm.as the L bracket of Smart Flex able to do +14/-14mm.
and the Smart Flex base able to slide on the Smart Carrier for+14/-14mm.

Thanks, Sunchai.

Jamgolf

Can this Smartflex L Plate be used with a Cambo WRS 1200?
Can someone share a picture of it attached to a Cambo?
I am just curious if its possible to use it and whether WRS-145 plate is still needed for it to be used with a Arca Swiss type tripod head.

kdphotography

I know what you're doing---you've got a Cambo WRS 1600 on your mind... :D

I don't think you need to use the WRS-145 plate. On my previous Cambo I used a RRS plate instead, attached to the Cube. I think here the question is as long as you can securely attach the Cambo to the Smartflex with a "generic plate" as a specific camera plate probably is not available as it is with mainstream camera bodies.

Here I think the issue is more a matter of width----how wide is the Smartflex L Plate attachment to allow attaching to your Cambo, clearing the wood handles---so when orientation is shifted, the lens remains centered. CI carries the Smartflex---I'd call and ask them to see if they can affix the SmartFlex to the Cambo. It's not an inexpensive option, so definitely worth the call. https://www.digitalback.com/product/smart-flex-l-plate/ I tried to do something similar with a generic L bracket, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html ---it somewhat worked but the bracket was not quite long enough to keep the lens centered over the tripod.

It might just might be easier to sell/trade in your Cambo 1200 and get the new Cambo WRS 1600 that you really want. :D Assuming it fits, the Smartflex is still about a $700 add-on, and adds quite a bit of bulk and weight. Of course, Sunchai might just be able to come up with something that works for you. :)

Seamless horizontal-vertical switching aside, I like the Cambo WRS 1600 better---it has a nicer svelte profile which I like, without the standard large wood handles that sometimes get in the way.

Ken

Jamgolf

I know what you're doing---you've got a Cambo WRS 1600 on your mind... :D

It might just might be easier to sell/trade in your Cambo 1200 and get the new Cambo WRS 1600 that you really want. :D
Ken
:ROTFL: Yes you got me there, Ken.
I was just hoping that I could get away on the cheap.
But ain't nothing cheap in the inferno.
Probably best to do it right and just take the 1600 plunge :)

bab

So I bought the smart flex for Hasselblad H it's a good idea but it's not a finished solution. It could have been really simple it made correctly to sell world wide with ease.

Why didn't the H adapter plate have the exact fitting for the base of camera?
Why is the vertical position base to short to not allow H camera to center over tripod whe rotated?
And finally why is the Arca Swiss compatible grooves missing?

I have it and I use it and every time I say to myself WHY couldn't it be made right from the beginning and why is there still not an upgradable product or solution?

Bab

Don Libby

So I bought the smart flex for Hasselblad H it's a good idea but it's not a finished solution. It could have been really simple it made correctly to sell world wide with ease.

Why didn't the H adapter plate have the exact fitting for the base of camera?
Why is the vertical position base to short to not allow H camera to center over tripod whe rotated?
And finally why is the Arca Swiss compatible grooves missing?

I have it and I use it and every time I say to myself WHY couldn't it be made right from the beginning and why is there still not an upgradable product or solution?

Bab

I was sent one shortly after it was released to try and found I personally didn't like it and returned it. Very typical as I see it with any photo gear; you either love something or don't, it either works for you or it doesn't. If it works keep using it; if it doesn't return it.

don

etrump

You actually STILL use cables with the XF? ;)

Very interesting. Only stickler on L-plates for the Phase camera body is making sure there is enough clearance to use the electromagnetic release cable. It was hard to see on the video, but looks like you can still use the cable, or at least without much interference.

I'd like to know more!

ken

Steve Hendrix

:ROTFL: Yes you got me there, Ken.
I was just hoping that I could get away on the cheap.
But ain't nothing cheap in the inferno.
Probably best to do it right and just take the 1600 plunge :)

I had a play with several different camera bodies, release plates, etc. (see attached)

I think it's telling (damning?) that on this forum,a nearly $700 L Bracket is spoken of as an inexpensive option!

Jawad, I think you're on the right track here, and you're better off with the WRS 1600 of course! To consider any other course of action just wouldn't be holding with the spirit of Dante.

On the other hand, you could consider yourself a rebel and opt for the carefully removing my IQ3 100 and carefully rotating/reseating it plan of action. As long as you perform each procedure perfectly, your cost is nothing.

Steve Hendrix/CI

IMG_8739.jpg

kdphotography

You actually STILL use cables with the XF? ;)
I'm actually having a hard time using a cable release on the XF body. Using a cable release is one of those *tricks* to use when you get a "blinker" in portraiture. I don't know exactly why this works, but when I get a subject that is a "blinker" (uncanny sense and ability to blink when you press the shutter)---I shift to a cable release and *presto* the number of keepers without eyes closed goes up dramatically.

I think it is the RRS L-bracket that I have that makes it impossible for me to use the cable release when the camera is in portrait orientation on the camera stand/tripod. The cable entry port is blocked by the tripod/stand release plate when in portrait orientation. I have a spacer block, but that is a total pita to use.

Not a fan of the new Hahnel release cable, but I don't think the new BOB will help either. But yes---still use a release on occasion. :p:D

Don Libby

I'm actually having a hard time using a cable release on the XF body. Using a cable release is one of those *tricks* to use when you get a "blinker" in portraiture. I don't know exactly why this works, but when I get a subject that is a "blinker" (uncanny sense and ability to blink when you press the shutter)---I shift to a cable release and *presto* the number of keepers without eyes closed goes up dramatically.

I think it is the RRS L-bracket that I have that makes it impossible for me to use the cable release when the camera is in portrait orientation on the camera stand/tripod. The cable entry port is blocked by the tripod/stand release plate when in portrait orientation. I have a spacer block, but that is a total pita to use.

Not a fan of the new Hahnel release cable, but I don't think the new BOB will help either. But yes---still use a release on occasion. :p:D

Don't forget the duck tape as well :bugeyes:

Jamgolf

I had a play with several different camera bodies, release plates, etc. (see attached)

I think it's telling (damning?) that on this forum,a nearly $700 L Bracket is spoken of as an inexpensive option!

Jawad, I think you're on the right track here, and you're better off with the WRS 1600 of course! To consider any other course of action just wouldn't be holding with the spirit of Dante.

On the other hand, you could consider yourself a rebel and opt for the carefully removing my IQ3 100 and carefully rotating/reseating it plan of action. As long as you perform each procedure perfectly, your cost is nothing.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks for the picture Steve. Smartflex bracket does not appear to be a very good option for Cambo WRS.
Yes, it is indeed telling/damning that a $700 bracket gave me the illusion of an attempt to save some money.
Truth be told I mostly shoot in landscape orientation, as it feels more natural to me, but it is for the 5-10% of times when ease of switching to portrait orientation, without fear or risk of damaging a very expensive digital back, would be quite nice to have.

I think I'll be sending my WRS 1200 over to you as trade in, some time soon :)