The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smart Flex L-Plate

kdphotography

Not sure why, but the new WRS 1600 has a lower MSRP list price than the 1250 and 5000. Just thought I'd add that in there so you don't feel guilty about indulging yourself a little. ;) Nice larger adjustment knobs and smooth adjustments. I shoot/shot mostly in landscape too with my old Cambo, but I can't help but think that my hesitation about detaching the MFDB to shift it into portrait mode while in the field made me less likely to want to shoot in portrait orientation too. No regrets getting the WRS 1600. I much prefer the process with the technical camera over using the XF.

ken

Paul2660

On the XF the Smart L bracket allows you enough clearance to go vertical and still use the remote release. But you do want to check when you first put the camera in the bracket.

Paul Caldwell

bab

I was sent one shortly after it was released to try and found I personally didn't like it and returned it. Very typical as I see it with any photo gear; you either love something or don't, it either works for you or it doesn't. If it works keep using it; if it doesn't return it.

don
Well it's not that easy
I have the RSS Arca Swiss adapter plate for the hasse it works but it's not a L bracket
Ok so then I bought the RSS L bracket for the Hasse ? They made it different as for how it attaches to the camera but worse when you go vertical -portrait it vibrates badly, especially when the extender for the HTS is mounted. Wrote RRS and got the standard reply "we know it's F up but we're not going to do anything about it"
Contacted H in USA asked for a solution they recommended RRS...clueless
Then I bought a bracket from custom brackets for a small flash and asked him if he could make or retrofit a bracket for me , nope
Then I did some more research and found this Smart L bracket with the adapter plate bought it from a sponsor on this channel. Wow can't somebody make a reversible L bracket for a Hasselblad and that centers the camera in either orientation ? Surprisingly every H3 4 5 6 camera has the same bottom you would think one could sell enough to make a profit?

Anyway the idea is shoot landscape three shot stiched image with the HTS flip that bad boy over and shoot a three shot vertical, then move to the next shot.

Maybe after Hasselblad's newest source of money stops the bleeding they themselves might come up with some of the many requests I have asked for.

Any sujestions as to a company who would make me a custom solution would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Paul2660

Back to the Smart L bracket, it's interesting to note that Cambo used the same tech in their latest tech camera, which is an excellent design as I tend to due a lot of vertical work in panning. It's just a great added amount of security in that you don't have to totally release your camera to rotate it, just like with the Smart L bracket.

The only issue I have with the Smart L bracket is that the foot is really only designed to use with the 80mm lens, (standard lens) on the XF, and that should be re-examined by Cambo ( I don't believe Cambo makes the Smart L but instead it's made for them). I asked CI to ask about a custom foot plate that would allow the use of at least the 55mm LS or 150LS (both close in overall size) even the 35mm LS but the company felt that the added weight would be too much for the plate to support. My take is just the opposite, just make the plate stronger, that is an easy task. Sure it might add weight and cost, but it could be done.

One other note, on the XF, the default position of the plate makes it hard to remove the back from the XF since the plate runs under the back and you need to remove the 90 degree finder to get the back off or remove the foot. Many times I reverse the plate so that the foot is towards the front of the camera. I do with with the 55LS and 45D and you can get nodal solutions with both. Can't quite get there with the 35LS, but still much closer than the default position. I realize I am placing more strain on the foot, but so far no problems.

So far I have been able to adapt the smart L to both Fuji X-T2, and X-Pro2 and Pentax K1 (although no battery grip can be used on the Pentax).

Paul Caldwell

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Paul

The SMART L-BRACKET is made by CAMBO . Its also printed on the bracket .
I was one of the first customers who got the L-BRACKET . Type 1 .
I use it with my HASSELBLAD V-SYSTEM and am very satisfied with it .

algrove

Thank you, Paul. I need to rethink my L-bracket and maybe consider the Smart Flex L-Plate for the Phase XF....

ken
Had the Smart Flex L plate and bracket for my V Hasselblad when I got the XF and just got the XF plate which has two pins that protrude into the XF keeping it from twisting when in portrait position. Makes life easy and rapid for the vertical/horizontal switch. Arca/Swiss base also important to have.

Paul2660

Paul

My understanding is different.

It is sold by Cambo but not made by them. The manufacturing not in Europe but somewhere else. It made by another company somewhere in China or other county. Small company like Cambo. It was that company that CI spoke to when I asked about a longer plate for the XF not Cambo.
Long lead times for extra plates parts etc.
At least that is how it was explained to me. It may be that the mounting plates/brackets and sliding foot are the parts not made by Cambo. I agree the L bracket states Cambo.

Paul Caldwell

kdphotography

Paul---Can the Smartflex be used with "all lenses," including the larger fashionable blue ring lenses with the Phase XF? Are the limitations you mentioned above with regard to the foot plate directed toward nodal point positioning on larger lenses?

A stronger foot plate would add some weight, but I doubt that "lightweight" was much of a consideration when the Phase XF was designed :ROTFL: so don't think a couple ounces more will cause complaints.

I'm really more interested in being able to use the cable release port without interference when moving the camera from horizontal to vertical orientation on the tripod.... If the SmartFlex can accomplish that task, it just became one of the most expensive accessories to use the BOB, EM, and Hahnel release.... egads. :shocked: It ain't an Alpa :rolleyes:

ken

algrove

For a frame of reference, I use mine with all BR S-K lenses from 35 to the 240(55, 80, 110 & 150). I have no zooms nor the new 150/2.8. I do not use my cable release so cannot answer that.

Paul2660

Hi Ken:

Yes, I agree with Algrove all current lenses. A bit more:

35LS, 45D, 55LS, 150LS F3.5, 80mm LS, Mamiya 75-150 all work with the plate reversed thus you can get closer to a nodal solution albeit, you may cover up the remote port with the position of the camera. (IMO P1 put the port in a terrible spot)

75-150LS NON BL, 40-80 BL 250LS non BL all work great with the L bracket, but here the plate needs to be over the back due to extra weight of the glass forward and the fact that the larger zoom rings on these lenses will not allow a forward position.

Mounted in the field all seem rock solid. Currently use a D4 geared head or BH-55.

Paul Caldwell

Steve Hendrix

Paul

Regarding the SmartFlex product:

* Designed by Sunchai

* Manufactured by Cambo in the Netherlands for Sunchai

* Distributed by Sunchai

* Some exceptions (as there always are with global products): If you see SmartFlex without the Cambo logo, then it was not manufactured by Cambo

Well done Cambo and Sunchai!

Steve Hendrix/CI

kdphotography

Steve----can you please verify if the Smart Flex L Plate will work with all the new rather hefty Schneider LS BR lenses---and allow full access to the cable release port on the side of the camera?

Is the camera plate strong enough (stable) to handle the XF and the new big lenses? Perhaps a new custom plate needs to be designed by Sunchai? Where is that guy Sunchai, btw? ;)

Ken

Chipcarterdc

Not Steve, but I can confirm that it works with all of my BR lenses: 80mm, 110mm, 40-80mm zoom, 240mm, and 150mm 2.8 (the last three of which are gigantic).

By "works," I mean it's rigid and stable with all of them with the standard provided plate. But perhaps you had a different question in mind.

(I use the smartphone app rather than a cable release in situations where a remote release is called for, so I can't comment on that aspect).

Steve----can you please verify if the Smart Flex L Plate will work with all the new rather hefty Schneider LS BR lenses---and allow full access to the cable release port on the side of the camera?

Is the camera plate strong enough (stable) to handle the XF and the new big lenses? Perhaps a new custom plate needs to be designed by Sunchai? Where is that guy Sunchai, btw? ;)

Ken

kdphotography

Eh, I should clarify my difficulties with using the XF cable release port are with the AS Cube only---it's a tight fit if I insert the cable release into the port first and then slide the RRS L plate into the top clamp, BUT it is still slightly off center in the clamp to avoid kinking the cable. Not worth the trouble or worry. For those very few times that I need a cable release when I get a "blinker" as a subject (tip: hold the release behind your back) the KPS T5 works great without issue with the cable release on the XF.

Sunchai

can you please verify if the Smart Flex L Plate will work with all the new rather hefty Schneider LS BR lenses---and allow full access to the cable release port on the side of the camera?

Ken[/QUOTE]

Dear Ken
Thanks and please found the attached image , it may help some.
As lacking of the XF cable release, only can show the DF cable release on the DF
(XF and DF have the same position of the cable port)
The image is showing the smart Flex mounting on the Manfrotto 410 tripod head and it show the clearance when rotate.
The standard XF camera plate is strong enough for every lenses and this plate also allow to do the nodal point for 80mm.

However when the nodal point for the longs lens is the need. The extra plate is need.
Thanks
Sunchai.:D

Christopher

Is there a longer plate available? One with extra spacing ? As I think a normal "longer" one won't work with the 35/150/240 ? Thx

Sunchai

Is there a longer plate available? One with extra spacing ? As I think a normal "longer" one won't work with the
35/150/240 ? Thx
Dear Christopher,

There is only one plate for XF, DF, body.
But there have 2 ways to put the plate in.
1. Normal position, all Phase one lens can be use with no conflict.
2. Extension position, this allow the nodal point of the 80mm lens to be set.
However, the extension will be conflict to the bigger diameter lens such as
35mm,240mm and etc. in this case if the nodal point is need the extra plate need to be add.

Thanks
Sunchai.

bab

Sunchi,
I have you Smart Flex but this entire post is confusing to most including me.

Can you list and show with a picture what additional bracket I need to have to mount the H6D and the HTS adapter base extension foot using the HTS 1.5 and say a 28mm HC lens to have nodal accuracy in portrait orientation?

Thanks

Sunchai

Sunchi,
I have you Smart Flex but this entire post is confusing to most including me.

Can you list and show with a picture what additional bracket I need to have to mount the H6D and the HTS adapter base extension foot using the HTS 1.5 and say a 28mm HC lens to have nodal accuracy in portrait orientation?

Thanks

Thanks for working with Smart Flex.
There are many of the extension bracket available in the market.
But the one in this picture is Novaflex (called Focusing Racks)mounted on top of the panorama head.

So sorry that can not show with the HTS adapter, however the distance (space) of this 2 part is 44mm.
Hope its help.
Thanks and best Regards,
Sunchai.;)