The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Cube Help

RodK

Wow. Your manual says it's adjustable, but it isn't. Now you're blaming the customer?
Why does your manual and advertisements say it's adjustable (and is 1mm too large to consider an adjustment)? Why won't the nut turn? Is that my fault for trying to do something your manual says you can do?
Weird response...
It should have been moveable(adjustable). But 1 mm wider is an adjustment.
As said above, the head was adjusted for our plates. It should be easily adjustable after squeezing the sides of the clamp together. See the video on my site rodklukas.com.
I appologize if it appears to be stuck. Not our usual delivery.
I will say, that the 8501003.1 with the knob is best for those with mixed manufacturers plates. Please contact me or Precision Camera Works for follow up. I am available most times or will get back quickly if not.
Best regards,
Rod

Dustbak

Since there are some Arca people here anyway,how about making the bottom 75mm round so the Cube can be fitted directly into the hole/legs of most tripods, replacing the base plate? RRS and Gitzo tripods take 75mm bases. I am not sure whether the RRS base plates like one or more bolts in the side to secure the plate.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I hate to be the dissenting voice, but my Cube and its clamp has worked perfectly since Day One. Just try to pry it out of my cold, dead hands!
Bill

rga

It should have been moveable(adjustable). But 1 mm wider is an adjustment.
As said above, the head was adjusted for our plates. It should be easily adjustable after squeezing the sides of the clamp together. See the video on my site rodklukas.com.
I appologize if it appears to be stuck. Not our usual delivery.
I will say, that the 8501003.1 with the knob is best for those with mixed manufacturers plates. Please contact me or Precision Camera Works for follow up. I am available most times or will get back quickly if not.
Best regards,
Rod
Thanks Rod. I appreciate your concern very much.
The wheel really doesn't move; I have a bloody index finger and chewed up wooden spoon as evidence! :eek:

The clamp, at half closed, is snug enough to hold the camera bracket without slippage. The clamp also closes completely without applying force. If this is OK and won't cause an "explosion" (what does that mean, specifically: will the cube fall apart? The clamp? Is there something I should do or not do to avoid this?) then I am fine with it.

My concern is now I'm out of town and have only this new piece of equipment to use on the tripod. Is it going to unexpectedly fail and cause an equipment free fall?

Thanks for any assistance. I bought this from B&H so I don't know how precision camera ties in.
Best,
Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, I hate to be the dissenting voice, but my Cube and its clamp has worked perfectly since Day One. Just try to pry it out of my cold, dead hands!
Bill
Ditto. Once I tensioned up my clamp properly it has been perfect. (as Wayne mentioned though, don't have the clamp too loose because you will eventually have the camera sneak its way out - expensively!)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The clamp, at half closed, is snug enough to hold the camera bracket without slippage. The clamp also closes completely without applying force. If this is OK and won't cause an "explosion" (what does that mean, specifically: will the cube fall apart? The clamp? Is there something I should do or not do to avoid this?) then I am fine with it.
Bob,

The 'explosion' occurs when you loosen the adjuster and the spring pops all of the washers off - normally when you least want it to! It can also happen if you leave the clamp undone when transporting the tripod/head in the trunk. It hasn't happened to me but I know of others who have had it happen. Just remember to close it when you put the tripod in the car.

Also, consider maybe also getting something like an Optech wide/medium snoot boot - perfect cover for the cube.

Last edited:

rga

Thanks Graham, Ken and Bill. I'm keeping a plate clamped in while transporting. Also, as the wheel is unturnable, perhaps there is a silver cloud in that the tension won't change.
Thanks all for your very kind assistance,
Bob

RodK

Thanks Rod. I appreciate your concern very much.
The wheel really doesn't move; I have a bloody index finger and chewed up wooden spoon as evidence! :eek:

My concern is now I'm out of town and have only this new piece of equipment to use on the tripod. Is it going to unexpectedly fail and cause an equipment free fall?

Thanks for any assistance. I bought this from B&H so I don't know how precision camera ties in.
Best,
Bob
Bob,
An explosion means if the clamp is over loosened, the springs which push the jaws open, could expand when the knurled ring loses thread and make the clamp come apart and having small parts adrift. It is important to make small adjustments when adjusting, such as 1/4 turn at a time.
Otherwise should be good for now.
Precision Camera Works is the North American Repair and Warranty station for Arca-Swiss.
They are located in Niles, IL. They have a website with instructions and contact info.
Again, very sorry for this problem.
Rod

Last edited:

rga

Thank you Rod. I really appreciate you stepping in here and providing guidance and alternatives. I will contact you off list if I need further help.
Again many thanks,
Bob

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Bill
+1. I put the RRS clamp on it for a couple of days, and put the arca back on. I like the double feature, I'm used to it and I don't like how long the RRS one is.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Bill
I can only confirm Bills statement .
I have the CUBE , first version , and never had any trouble since .
The same is valid for the clamp with my D4 .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you Rod for the illustration .

I do love the ARCA Fliplock and don't want to miss it .
I never had any trouble with it . I find the handling easy and safe .

Have nice Easterdays with hopefully better weather than we have here .

rga

Thanks Rod. Unfortunately the wheel still doesn't turn. However, since I don't need to slide the camera using the half opened feature, I think I'm OK. As I said before when it's half open the camera doesn't slide.

My only question, if the clamp is that tight half open, will there be a problem with the clamp being even tighter when fully clamped.

Again, many thanks,
Bob