The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus 65 vs Leaf Aptus ii 5

kbialous

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone with experience can help me compare these two backs interns of overall IQ. I know the Aptus 65 is higher res and that the Aptus ii 5 is newer and larger sensor but if image quality and lower noise at 200 and 400 were most important, which would you choose?

Thanks,
Kamil

shlomi

Aptus 5 ISO 200-400 is not usable IMO.
Aptus 65 - barely.

I wasn't happy with Aptus 22mp noise even at ISO 100.

If you really need ISO 400, then you need Aptus II 8 and up.

JonMo

Wow.
When did 400 ISO become "unusable" on the Aptus 65?

And yes I saw the IMO. :)

I still use a 65s and an IQ back. I must be not picky enough as I use the 65s hand held on a Cambo wrs at 200 and 400 knowing the will be some grain. There are some images shot for composision and mood where I like grain.:thumbup:

I guess Kamil, I will differ in my opinion and highly recommend the older Aptus back. I did not find enough enhancements with the II series to make a jump to it at the time. Up to ISO 400 when processed in Capture one clean up remarkably well. Certainly not up to the standards of an IQ or Credo but not bad.

I don't do a lot of Pixel Peeping, just print and view to assess the shot.

Maybe Dan L can pitch in, he has a Credo and an Aptus II 5 and can further enlighten.

danlindberg

Aptus II 5 is marvelous at base iso 25 and also excellent at iso 50. At iso 100 noise is evident, especially in direct comparison to a iso 50 image side-by-side. Iso 100 is absolutely usable but that is as far as I go with that back.