The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Shooting Experience

Finally had a weekend off work and got a chance to get some initial shots with the FPS. It was a completely different shooting experience than any other system I've ever used. Really something you can not explain. It was more of a feeling. Every shot taken handheld, by "feeling" the focus and being in the moment.

I am learning a whole new way to shoot candid photos. No composing, no thinking, Just shooting.

Alpa FPS
50HR Alpagon wide open
FPS tilt adapter

The soon to be Mommy and our dog Mado.

A closeup of the focal plane. This is surely a focal plane I could have never thought of using before. I never even thought it possible to get the eyes in focus, mouth & whiskers, but not his snout...

Some photos of the girls my very soon to be wife used to look after.

And something different - Only edits were highlights brought down 2 notches in Capture one.

coulombic

The latter images have significant data corruption. From my experience, this is directly related to CF cards -- San Disk Extreme Pros are pretty much necessary on any Leaf back (not sure what back you're running).

jagsiva

Eric, I had the purple bands shooting an Aptus II 80 on DF in pretty cold weather. Turned out to be some obscure syncing issue.

Good luck with the new arrival, exciting times ahead..Jag

Just wondering - How did you focus, tilt and frame the shots shooting handheld? If you have some extra mutant hands, we would like to know!

With the FPS it all seems just natural. I made the tilt about 2 degrees, kept my focus from 1.5-3 meters (knowing that I can easily focus between these distances, and knowing where the focal plane will move) then just shoot. Every shot, if I moved a little closer or wanted to have a focal plane slightly lower/higher, I would adjust my focus "by feeling" and then shoot. Obviously there are some shots that were missed. But the availability to shoot a technical camera with an electronic shutter provides a whole new shooting experience.

Just wondering - How did you focus, tilt and frame the shots shooting handheld? If you have some extra mutant hands, we would like to know!

I can reassure everyone that this is not a syncing issue. A syncing issue would lack information, rather this is putting information on top of information that was previously there.

Eric, I had the purple bands shooting an Aptus II 80 on DF in pretty cold weather. Turned out to be some obscure syncing issue.

Good luck with the new arrival, exciting times ahead..Jag

I can reassure everyone that this is not a syncing issue. A syncing issue would lack information, rather this is putting information on top of information that was previously there.
You're right! At first I thought that the centre shutter blades on your FPS were sticking a bit but now it looks like a problem with the card :loco:

David,

It is mostly my fault as I wasn't very clear on how the last two photos were created. But I can assure everyone that it is not a CF card issue nor a syncing issue as I can replicate the look and control the look (slightly).

Sorry -- foot in mouth yet again. I do enjoy all of your postings and your obvious skill!