The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tip of the day - bags!

danlindberg

The never ending quest for the perfect bag. Well, it does ofcourse not exist. We need different bags for the amount of gear we need, how we travel and if we are hiking long distances or not.

I have been struggling with needing a carry-on size for air travel and at destination having an ergonmic, comfortable backpack for 6 hour walks. On top I wanted a dustproof bag in the often very dry mountains in southern Spain.

I am sharing this idea, because I have not seen anybody else doing this.

I use the frame only of an expedition backpack intended for a heavy load. Sturdy and comfortable, not comparable to standard photobackpack. Then I strap on a suitable size Pelicase depending on mission. This one is small enough to have as a carry-on, unstrap it and check-in the frame or put it in my suitcase with my clothes.

If you do not need to fly, and also need more stuff, then you can turn the case 90 degrees and strap on two of them. You can see there's lots of space left both on top and at the bottom. Or, you strap on a soft bag with picnic and other must-haves....

Very modular for size, excellent to carry with expedition grade frame and water/dust/chock proof at the same time.

Works splendid for me. :thumbup:

dan, where did you get the frame?

the problem with the b&w system seems, that the case has to be unstraped before you can access your gear.

I prefer Dan's design in comparison to the B&W system. The design is raw, simple, but quite technical at the same time. Fits the technical camera atmosphere much better ;)
Don't do much hiking myself, but hope to do some in the future and will definitely look back at this thread.

danlindberg

I prefer Dan's design in comparison to the B&W system. The design is raw, simple, but quite technical at the same time. Fits the technical camera atmosphere much better ;)
Don't do much hiking myself, but hope to do some in the future and will definitely look back at this thread.
Even if I hadn't seen the real/modern/new version I agree with you :) ;)

WildRover

Dan, I used a similar set-up for years when I was shooting with a 4x5 field outfit. I used a nice Tenba shoulder bag. It worked great because it had big pockets for the film holders. I had it strapped on in the horizontal position and then had another shoulder bag on top of that, that had my 35mm kit. I'd run around finding shots, taking some with the 35mm, then set up the 4x5 for when the light got nice. After retiring the 35mm gear, I got another of the same big Tenba bag to replace the 35mm bag and then started carrying around a Pentax 6x7 kit and and did the same thing. Find the shots with the Pentax, then commit with the 4x5. Then take dupes with the 6x7 and whatever I might find after the light went away. A real glutton for punishment. That was years ago when I had a stronger back and weak mind. Still got the mind problem. Hope that works well for you.

The "real" version is a point of view. I consider yours the real version as I saw it first, it is more practical, and it is better looking.

Considering their design was made before yours, that would make yours the modern and new version as well ;)

Silly companies just can't keep up!

WildRover

This is similar to what I used - just a bit fancier. Mine had the bottom load bars like this one that helped keep the strapped on Tenba bag supported. The bottom shoulder bag helped to slightly support the top bag. The Tenba bags had strong military grade D rings that were used to strap them to the frame. I was real happy with the set-up although it was quite large. The advantage to using a regular backpack was that my gear was packed away in very well padded and constructed camera bags. When I took the pack off and lied it on the ground, the shoulder bags would open normally and it was easy to work out of. Also, the camera bags weren't in contact with the moist ground because of the frame barrier.

Kelty Cache Hauler Frame, 90344 | External Backpacks | Packs | GEAR | items from Campmor.

Shashin

Dan, I hope you don't mind me joining your thread, but I am not the only one that prefers actual hiking gear to the photo offerings. I just updated my bag to an Osprey Farpoint 40 internal frame pack. It is airline compatible and the straps and waist belt can be zipped away.

The suspension system is one of the best I have had on a pack. It also has plenty of space for other "luxuries" like food and a coat, etc. I really hate the padded divider system in photo bags as well as the infinite number of pockets designed for all kinds of small stuff I never carry--they add too much weight and volume to a bag without making it better.

My lenses are stored in the Tink tank belt system in the bottom of the bag (35mm, 120mm, and 300mm lenses plus an empty pouch for the 55mm on the camera and a pouch for small stuff like batteries and filters). The lens pouches are the padding and I can wear the belt when working. The cameras, a Pentax 645D and RX1, are in the padded insert at the top (I also have a Mountainsmith Tour lumbar pack the same size which I can substitute if I know I am going to a place where I will want a smaller bag and not carry this). There is a small pocket at the top front panel and the panel opens up to carry a bunch of other stuff--I organize in my own bags. Two outside mesh pockets and compression straps are also on the front panel. A should strap can also be attached and it has two carrying handles--one on the top and one on the side.

For water protection, it is as simple as a rain cover on the outside and a garbage bag on the inside. Unlike many modern back packs which are tear-drop shaped or rounded, this bag is fairly rectangular and so camera gear packs in very well.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Excellent thread. I've been struggling with the TT Airport Addicted, the only bag I know of that rooms the GX680 and a few lenses, film backs etc. It's perfect as carry-on on airplanes, but carrying it as a backpack is a nightmare due to its boxy shape and crude carry system. It gets even worse when riding a motorbike on bumpy roads. The Kelty Cache Hauler Frame seems to fit my bill nicely. Cheap too, at least when I put my photographer's glasses on :ROTFL:

Shashin

I have the Kelty hauler, but under a different name. It is big (not going to go on a airplane) and not that comfortable for long hikes, especially if need to move through brush or do some scrambling. Dan's frame looks smaller. The Kelty is really heavy too--it is twice the weight of the Farpoint 40 and you don't even have a bag on it.

WildRover

Jorgen,

I posted my comments because Dan's set-up was somewhat similar to what I had done. I was packing quite the assortment of gear at the time. Today I'm using a couple of LowePro camera packs. I have a LowePro Photo Pro that is set up with all my normal shooting gear. Then I bring along another that stays back in the truck that I use as storage - different lenses and such that I might switch out depending on my particular hike. Not saying those are the best packs, just what I happen to be currently using. Shashin is right about being cautious about getting something so large and stout as the Kelty. It might be an interesting choice if you wanted to have something that you could strap on your normal camera pack, and then bring along some basic camping gear to do an overnight bivy. I can't imagine using something so large with a motorcycle. It would seem to be much too big and ungainly for that.

alajuela

Hi - Perfect bag? I have a bag for every day of the month (wife thinks year). At least it is cheaper than buying lenses, although much more noticeable in the apt.
:ROTFL: As a matter of fact,just today got some pouches for a Think Tank bag that goes on the waist (NOT a FANNY PACK!!) - figured it would help as a third arm when changing lenses on the tech ..... anyway -- I am reading this post with interest. :chug:
Good luck

Phil

PS. I also wished Jason good luck with golden fleece.