The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC & stitching tips please?

jagsiva

On the issue of WB, after you create the LCC, auto white balance it before applying to each file you are going to stitch. This has helped me quite a bit, and also gives a very accurate WB.

narikin

I have the exact same issue with my Aptus II 7, I use daylight wb while shooting, but no matter what I have to manually adjust one image before stitching.

Did you ever find a solution?
No, I never found a solution or answer.

My best guess is that an LCC fixes the color cast within an image - the Red-Green shifts from one side to the other - but does not do that to a common reference point. So a right hand stitch will have the color casts within it smoothed out as required, and the left hand one within it, but not to the same neutral point relative to each other. So... they still need manually aligning.

Luckily Photomerge in Photoshop smooths out the color anomalies to a decent degree, if you can get it in the ballpark to begin with.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
No, I never found a solution or answer.

My best guess is that an LCC fixes the color cast within an image - the Red-Green shifts from one side to the other - but does not do that to a common reference point. So a right hand stitch will have the color casts within it smoothed out as required, and the left hand one within it, but not to the same neutral point relative to each other. So... they still need manually aligning.
This is how I've always felt as well. As far as the software is concerned each LCC adjustment is relative only to the image it's being applied to and so density corrections are made only to even out the image, not push it to a standard density.

Photoshop CS6/CC does a pretty good job blending these differences out, but issues like this is why I pretty much moved to a pano head and quit trying to make stitches moving the back around.

Pemihan

Thanks, I will give it a try..

Peter

On the issue of WB, after you create the LCC, auto white balance it before applying to each file you are going to stitch. This has helped me quite a bit, and also gives a very accurate WB.

jagsiva

Thanks, I will give it a try..

Peter
Peter, have you had a chance to give this a shot? Would like to hear your thoughts on how it is working. I think it gives a more neutral WB, but just want to make sure it is not simply in my placebo brain :)

Pemihan

I haven't tried it out yet, but will let you know my findings.
One thing though, as a Leaf user I prefer to use Leaf Capture to apply LCC which as far as I can see doesn't have an auto white balance thing. I think Leaf Capture does a way better job than Capture One regarding removal of centerfold and dust..

Peter

Peter, have you had a chance to give this a shot? Would like to hear your thoughts on how it is working. I think it gives a more neutral WB, but just want to make sure it is not simply in my placebo brain :)

narikin

I have tried this and it does not make any difference if you WB before or after creating LCC. Basically the LCC just applies a correction unique to each image, not a common WB, or a white balance chosen from within the LCC reference frame.

So, to take a simple example: a 2 way stitch, right and left. The right half is pink, by varying degrees across the frame, from neutral-y pink to near red as you get increasing angularity from the lens; the left hand panel is green shifted from neutral-green to quite green across it - the same but opposite issue. The right panel has that pink to red cast neutralized by LCC, but *not* to an established WB point. The Left panel is likewise treated to eliminate the green, but not to a common neutral point either. It remains different from the other side, even after LCC, so they need manually balancing, and/or use the Photoshop 'auto blend layers' command, which is pretty good in resolving things, if you are at least in the ballpark.

We must remember that LCCs were originally designed for single images showing casts (green:red across a single image for example) to neutralize that. You are still then expected to WB that image, the LCC does not fix or provide that WB point.

Perhaps we should stop guessing though and post on the C1's own forums!