The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Too many gear to choose from but DON"T WANT TO SELL

mmbma

I reached a point where I have way too much gear in five separate systems that I have a hard time deciding which one to use. Yet somehow I convince myself that each of these systems serve a different purpose: street, sport, medium format landscape, technical, and Sigma DPM (in its own awesome category), that I don't want to sell any of them!

I'm sure i'm not alone in this. What do you do?

Shashin

Street, sport, and landscape are types of photographs and you can have one system that does all that. If you enjoy collecting and using different types of cameras, that is fine--you do not need to justify it. Rationalization is just another word for trying to con yourself into feeling better.

Personally, I like to simplify. I have a Pentax 645D and a few lenses and an RX1. they take care of what I need. But I know other that would feel deprived if they could fit everything into one bag, or even ten bags and a truck.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I reached a point where I have way too much gear in five separate systems that I have a hard time deciding which one to use. Yet somehow I convince myself that each of these systems serve a different purpose: street, sport, medium format landscape, technical, and Sigma DPM (in its own awesome category), that I don't want to sell any of them!

I'm sure i'm not alone in this. What do you do?

Ooooh , I can understand that very well .
I was never good in selling gear , but always good in buying .:D
At least , I have reduced my gear to three systems now .
PANASONIC LUMIX G for easy use as a kind of digital pola .
A very extensive HASSELBLAD V-SYSTEM and my most beloved ALPA System .
Sold with big loss of money my BRONICA RF645 , FUJI GW690III and HORSEMAN SW612P , but I don't regret that . I felt a kind of relief , as they were never used since a long time . puuuh .

Charles Wood

One can never have too much gear. Remember the old saying: He who dies with the most toys, wins.

The only justification excuse you need is to your significant other.

My current collection: Pentax 645d, various lenses, Pentax K5, various lenses, Pentax K01, SONY a850 and a couple of lenses, Graflex 4x5, couple of lenses, Baby Graphic 6x9, custom 4x5 point and shoot system, Olympus XZ1, Canon M41, Canon HDV20.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
My recommendation .
Get a big illuminated glass cabinet and you can see all your gear all day long . :) I have one . No . . sorry , two .

mmbma

This thread is really making me feel better. Not only I realized that I don't have a problem, it seems that I don't have nearly enough :)

darr

I do like Shashin, I have a little camera (NEX-7) a big camera (Alpa Max), and a studio rail (AS ML2)
But, I still have an Ebony 4x5", Pentax 6x7, RZ67IID and Nikon D700 to sell!

PS: I was proud of myself when I sold my Canon G9 to a colleague for $100 in January.

jlm

Workshop Member
some cameras are just meant to be owned:
rollei TLR, blad 503, blad SWC, leica monochrome come to mind

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Leica M9, six lenses.
Sony a99, a900, three lenses.
Phase DF, IQ180, six lenses.

I don't feel even remotely troubled - except I'm still vacillating about a tech cam.

Purge your conscience, not your equipment closet!

Bill

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Seriously, this has become worse (or should that be better...) with digital. With film, I could just buy another kind of film to change the whole system. Now, if I want to try another sensor, I have to buy a completely new body, or in the worst... sorry, best case, a completely new system. And the cost? It's cheaper to have several camera systems than several wives, or so friends keep telling me, those who have tried both... :rolleyes:

robertwright

Leica m6 and three lenses
hassy 503 and three lenses
mamiya rZ and four lenses
mamiya 7 and two lenses
canon 5DMKii and 5 lenses...

and what do I search for on ebay....8X10...
what a mess...