The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo SK Digitar 120 N or 150 N

Pemihan

I'm looking to expand my Cambo system and add a longer lens which I miss.
I have the SK35XL and the SK47XL already and am contemplating either the SK Digitar 120 N or 150 N - both as short barrel versions for stitching purpose.
I almost exclusively shoot landscapes... Take a look here

Any up- or downside to either you would want to share?
Or maybe just your experience with either?

Thanks
Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Peter,

I have the 150 APO Digitar N, albeit on an Alpa mount. I find it to be an exceptionally sharp optic that does exactly what it says it'll do on the tin. I don't really need to use LCCs with this lens for most situations and the image circle is enormous so I can use the full shifts on my camera without concern. The only challenge really with this length of optic is narrow DoF and focus accuracy when using a tech camera & laser or hunting rangefinder - live view helps somewhat. For most landscape situations with this lens you probably won't be worrying too much about near/far compositions - if you do then you'll either need to focus stack or tilt. I mostly use this at or near infinity when I want to isolate elements in a big landscape although obviously you can use it for pretty much anything.

47 -> 150 is a big jump but that said you can stitch a couple of 150 frames to fill the intermediate range.

danlindberg

I have the SK 120 N and agree with Graham on all accounts. As I understand it, both the 120 N and the 150 N are identical in lens formula and performs exactly the same. So, it is only the preferred length that determines the choice.

I am impressed also how it performs wide open. Razor sharp. Love mine and got it back from conversion to a short Alpa 34 barrel yesterday. This evening was the first tryout and it focuses spot on.....

Pemihan

Thank you Graham & Dan, Glad to hear your are both very satisfied with respectively the 150 and 120.

I agree that the jump from 47mm to 120 or 150 is rather big, but with my Canon 1DsIII I have mostly used my 24mm Tilt Shift and a 70-300 zoom, so for me it makes sense to have the big jump. I might jump on a SK 72 L or 90 N at a later time should I miss something in between the 47Xl and the 120 or 150.

Still torn between which one of the two to get though :)

Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It would be nice to have HPF rings for the 150mm - the spacing between focus distances is pretty wide as you move back from infinity and so if you're picking out a particular element at a known distance it can be a little bit of a challenge even stopped down to f/8 or f/11 - the precision of the measuring device is greater than my precision in estimating between distance marks on the lens - at least for the first shot. It's easy to iterate to get perfect focus though. Once it's nailed it's extremely sharp.

torger

There is a new version of the 120 N, the "Apo-Digitar N ASPHERIC 5.6/120mm", "Aspheric" being the new thing. It's a little bit more expensive than the old (which seems to be still available too) but not too much. From the Schneider web site:

This is a completely redesigned 120mm f/5.6 Digitar lens in a Copal #0 Shutter. It will stand up to the performance demands of today's high resolution digital backs, allowing you to bring the swings and tilts of traditional large format photography into the digital arena. The implementation of Aspherical Lens technology makes this lens extremely versatile with an incredible 150mm image circle.

This lens has a front accessory thread allowing it to utilize 46mm screw-in filters.
There's no aspheric version of the 150mm, so perhaps the 120mm aspheric is the way to go? I have the old 120 N, still very pleased with its performance, I only have 33 megapixels though and rarely use more than about 90mm of the image circle. If it's going to be used for stitching to the outer edges maybe the edge quality is better in this new version? I haven't looked at MTF charts so I don't know how it looks.

Pemihan

Torger, that could certainly be the decisive factor...
Where on the Schneider web did you find that quote?

Peter

danlindberg

Peter, the older versions are divided in two models: the N (normal = optimised for infinity) and the M (macro = optimised for closeup).
The new one is supposed to have the highest resolution ever made by Schneider and is excellent at both closeup and infinity.

I am sure this is all true, but I can honestly say that my (old) 120 N is still bitingly sharp.

gazwas

I used to own the Schneider 120N and can confirm it is a super sharp lens and would recommend it to anyone, however I always felt it was quite a bit softer close up. With this in mind, if you shoot lots of table top stuff the aspheric version might be a better option. If your subjects are generally over 3m then save the money and get the N.

torger

Actually I found this
I just don't know how to interpret it...
Peter
Thanks. Compared it against the MTF charts of 120N and 120M. It's a bit hard to compare due to diagrams showing different image circle sizes and spatial frequencies. From what I can see 120N-asph seems to be a little bit sharper than the 120N, but only very little, and a little bit less sharp than the 120M for closeup. The MTF charts do not cover really close distances for the 120N and 120N-asph so can't see how it performs there, but as others said its likely to be a bit better than the 120N there, but still probably not as good as the 120M.

f8orbust

For pixel peeping the aspherical shows increased sharpness. In print, with appropriate sharpening, there's negligible difference. For the aspherical version there's a trade-off in illumination and distortion. Bottom line, they're both stellar lenses. Because you're using a Cambo, I'd get the 120 (N or Asph.) in short barrel T/S mount. Don't think the 150 is available in T/S?

Pemihan

I would be tempted to get the new 120 in T/S mount if possible. If nothing else for the huge image circle..

PeterL

I have the Alpa 5.6/120 Apo-Helvetar ASPH, which is the same lens as the 120 Digitar ASPH with stock Schneider label. It's an incredible lens, probably the sharpest I've ever owned. With live-view on the IQ back, it just "pops" when focus is spot on.

Example, full view and 100% crop of center flower.

Cheers, -Peter

cly

Peter, could you perhaps post another crop showing a bit of the area next to the sharp selection? It's interesting to get an idea of the character of the transition - I'm inclined to believe that this is an area where MF lenses really shine ...

Chris

gazwas

PeterL, to my eyes this is pretty much the identical results you'd get from the 120N and IMO a bit soft when shooting close up. By no means terrible, there is a noticeable loss of sharpness on those flowers that for example, a macro lens wouldn't have.

OP, having looked at these examples, unless the 120ASP is noticably sharper at infinity (which I doubt) I'd say the 120N will be fine and save your money.