The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

110mm LS edges

I'm trying to find out if the 110mm LS I got is acting normally. It seems lovely sharp wide open even at the corners at close/medium distance, but at infinity I'm puzzled. The center is sharp, but the edges not so much, even at f8 (though edge sharpness correction works well in C1). Its not bad, but I'm used to the 80LS which is uniformly crisp even at infinity. Is this normal and part of the lens design? Here are center/left/right crops from a test (without lens corrections and low sharpening) to illustrate whats going on better: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ek8490m774d37hb/6F9YuyAmpB. Using a 33mp DB.

Might be not calibrated correctly for infinity. Or the distance between the sensor and the lens could be off, making it impossible to have a focus at infinity. Are you manual focusing or autofocusing?

Either way this is not normal as the 110 should be sharper than the 80LS.

This is why Alpa has back shimming kits ;)

Yup I would expect it to be about as good as the 80, it seems so up close but infinity is clearly different... I took a few photos using manual with slight differences in focus then looked at the best one.