The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Datasheet for P30 (not plus)

IBICO

I am trying to find datasheet for the P30, so I could compare it to the P30+

Seems I can`t have it both ways. So I must choose between a "portrait" back or a back where I could use it on my view camera. If I choose P40 or other backs I would need to do lot of moire work after a portrait shoot.

I have already encountered this with my P20 back where I got lot of moire in a kid`s shirt.

The reason for a P30 or P30+ would be to get closer to the fullframe of 645 so I get a similar angle of view from when I shoot analog/film. (have the Mamiya 645 AFDIII)

So anyone got the pdf with datasheet of the non plus series? or is better to google then me and find a P30 vs P30+ datasheet page.

kdphotography

Quite frankly, I think the differences between the P30 and the P30+ are rather nominal. I had the P30 and when compared to the P30+ did not find any differences in image quality---not surprising as both use the same Kodak sensor. The P30+ screen *might* be better, but again, nominal improvement---it's not like that small screen was something spectacular in the first place. Both have microlenses, so yes use on a camera with large movements is not a good choice. In short, simply use the P30+ datasheet if that's all you can find. You won't find any huge differences between the two MFDBs.

The P30 was a great MFDB for me. Easy to get great images right out of the box. Definitely a sweet spot MFDB.

Given the choice of the P40+, I'd go for the P40+. It's basically an upgraded P30 and the better back. I don't think moire really would be an issue here any more than the P30 MFDB. I think Guy can give you a better idea here....

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I am trying to find datasheet for the P30, so I could compare it to the P30+

Seems I can`t have it both ways. So I must choose between a "portrait" back or a back where I could use it on my view camera. If I choose P40 or other backs I would need to do lot of moire work after a portrait shoot.

I have already encountered this with my P20 back where I got lot of moire in a kid`s shirt.

The reason for a P30 or P30+ would be to get closer to the fullframe of 645 so I get a similar angle of view from when I shoot analog/film. (have the Mamiya 645 AFDIII)

So anyone got the pdf with datasheet of the non plus series? or is better to google then me and find a P30 vs P30+ datasheet page.
This is simply not the case. The P40 will moire with very similar rarity to a P30/+ and a P65 would moire significantly less. Who told you otherwise??

Both the P40 and P65 make wonderful portrait cameras - most of my portraiture has been with the P65 or P40 (or their sensor reincarnations the IQ140 and IQ160). They are fast, have great (Dalsa) skintones, and moire very infrequently, especially in Capture One v7.

P30 vs P30+ specification differences:
P30 does long exposures less well (corrected from "30 seconds" while I go check my history books)
P30 is limited to ISO800
P30 CF card read/write is considerably slower, so if you shoot fast the camera can buffer (the P30+ can shoot continuously nearly indefinitely when using a fast card).
P30 LCD is a bit brighter in daylite, but considerably darker in a studio setting

Based on your abbreviated description of what you have and what you want a 65+ sounds like the best fit by far. It would give you a larger sensor, fast shooting, high ISO, and great skintones, and works great on a tech camera or view camera.

Last edited:

ondebanks

IBICO,

I have the P30 datasheet and I've put it in my Dropbox for you, here.

P30 is limited to 30 seconds of exposure
Doug, the datasheet that I linked above says "several minutes". Maybe you mean 30 seconds at high quality while the datasheet means several minutes at acceptable quality?

But what about this remarkable Release Note from Phase One that I also Dropboxed?
"P 45 and P 30 and P 21 firmware version 2.3.6 released...
All versions after 2.2.4 have drastically improved when using long exposures.
Although long exposures has never been a problem with any Phase One back, the three new backs proves to be extreme in their ability to handle long exposures without affecting the Image quality at all.
In studio tests at Phase One, 30 minutes exposure are now done with really outstanding results."

Now that's for the P30, not the P30+.

So is it the case that P-non-plus backs, with the right (late) firmware, can do long exposures that are just as low-noise as their P+ equivalents?

Ray

kdphotography

I recall 30 mins for the P30 for long exposure as well. Never tried it---but that is my recollection from what was represented from Phase.

ken

IBICO

This is simply not the case. The P40 will moire with very similar rarity to a P30/+ and a P65 would moire significantly less. Who told you otherwise??
I just read what PhaseOne say about the different backs. P30 is leaned toward the fashion shooter and improved moire control and fast shooting.

Would off course love to have the P40+ or P65+ that have Sensor+ so I could shoot with higher iso. Although I am not sure how image quality would be when shooting high iso. In those situations I would probably rather have my X-pro1, since a controlled environment when shooting with my Mamiya would be with flash and shoot base iso anyway. It`s not like I would lug around with my 300mm 4.5 and Mamiya to a socker game with my oldest kid.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I just read what PhaseOne say about the different backs. P30 is leaned toward the fashion shooter and improved moire control and fast shooting.
P30 marketing was done when the P30 was released. At that point the options were P20/P25 (higher chance of moire) and P45 (slower shooting). At that point the P30 was the best system in the line for fashion.

Would off course love to have the P40+ or P65+ that have Sensor+ so I could shoot with higher iso. Although I am not sure how image quality would be when shooting high iso. In those situations I would probably rather have my X-pro1, since a controlled environment when shooting with my Mamiya would be with flash and shoot base iso anyway. It`s not like I would lug around with my 300mm 4.5 and Mamiya to a socker game with my oldest kid.
I can send you wedding shots at ISO1600 and ISO3200 with the P65+/P40+

IBICO

P30 marketing was done when the P30 was released. At that point the options were P20/P25 (higher chance of moire) and P45 (slower shooting). At that point the P30 was the best system in the line for fashion.

I can send you wedding shots at ISO1600 and ISO3200 with the P65+/P40+
That would be great :thumbup:.. Do the file size decrease when you go higher iso within the given iso range? Would a iso50 file be larger then iso 400

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
IBICO,
Doug, the datasheet that I linked above says "several minutes". Maybe you mean 30 seconds at high quality while the datasheet means several minutes at acceptable quality?

But what about this remarkable Release Note from Phase One that I also Dropboxed?
"P 45 and P 30 and P 21 firmware version 2.3.6 released...
All versions after 2.2.4 have drastically improved when using long exposures.
Although long exposures has never been a problem with any Phase One back, the three new backs proves to be extreme in their ability to handle long exposures without affecting the Image quality at all.
In studio tests at Phase One, 30 minutes exposure are now done with really outstanding results."

Now that's for the P30, not the P30+.

So is it the case that P-non-plus backs, with the right (late) firmware, can do long exposures that are just as low-noise as their P+ equivalents?

Ray
I cited the stats off the top of my head (always dangerous, though usually spot on)...

However, no it is not the case that a P non plus can do long exposures like the P+ equivalents.
P45: several minutes
P20/P25: 30 seconds

Let me go double check the P30...

ondebanks

I cited the stats off the top of my head (always dangerous, though usually spot on)...

However, no it is not the case that a P non plus can do long exposures like the P+ equivalents.
P45: several minutes
P20/P25: 30 seconds

Let me go double check the P30...
Could it be that the Phase One Release Note made an error - referring to P backs when it should have referred to P+ backs? It is dated August 2006...is that around the time when the P+ line emerged?

Ray