The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Slippery Slope - Hasselblad V digital back options

Godfrey

So in recent weeks, a rather nice condition Hasselblad 500CM system (body, back, two finders, 80 and 150mm lenses, tripod mount, filters, etc etc) has appeared on my doorstep—and for not a lot of money, thankfully. Adding it to the SWC kit I acquired last year, I have just about everything I'd need for 6x6 film shooting.

But it begs the question of a digital back. I cannot afford one at the moment, but I'm curious. Should I consider a Hasselblad CFV-16, CFV-39? What others (in a "reasonable" price range) would be interesting to look at? What do I need to know before getting involved with this level of Hasselmadness?

I should probably just grab a Polaroid 100 back, a few packs of Fuji instant film, and be happy with that. Hasselblad up front, and instant prints at the back ... yeah. ;-)

Godfrey

Shashin

Phase p25+ in a V mount is a nice back. If you what square, the CFV-16 (II) and the corresponding Phase One back would be the about the only choices. Both Phase and Leaf made backs with a V mount.

Everything in MFD has a reasonable price. Sometimes it is reasonable for the buyer, and sometimes reasonable for the seller.

Mammy645

The only thing that bugs me with the digital option on the V-series is that the back doesn't rotate, and the square sensors are kinda smallish.

Mammy645

You can mount the p25+ back horizontally or vertically.
Sure, that's doable if you are shooting mostly stationary, not really an option for more dynamic photography. I wish there was an option for a rotating sensor, like the Hy6. Or even better, a 6x6 sensor ;)

jlm

Workshop Member
long story...i hated the rectangular format with the blad CV39 (was too stingy to just crop sq, but in retrospect, that is the way to go), loved the CV16, but hated the crop and loss of wide angle, which really impacts the swc.

ended up going another route for MF digital and will shoot film and scan using the 503 and SWC

Mammy645

long story...i hated the rectangular format with the blad CV39 (was too stingy to just crop sq, but in retrospect, that is the way to go), loved the CV16, but hated the crop and loss of wide angle, which really impacts the swc.

ended up going another route for MF digital and will shoot film and scan using the 503 and SWC
Honestly, with the quality of today's films like the new Portra that's hardly a concession. In fact, when I see the results I sometimes wonder why I'd want to shoot digital at all.

Godfrey

Thanks for the pointers.

Yes, I'd prefer a square sensor, and no, I'm not ready to spend what I see as prices at present. I'll shoot film and scan for the foreseeable future. :)

Godfrey

robertwright

just to put a fly in the ointment hasselblad has a deal on their X1 scanner till end of May for 10k, a few thousand off retail.

shoot film and scan...

Godfrey

just to put a fly in the ointment hasselblad has a deal on their X1 scanner till end of May for 10k, a few thousand off retail.

shoot film and scan...
LOL! If I could afford that, I could afford one of several available digital backs.

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED now. It will have to do. ;-)

G

Shashin

Just one other thought while you save your pennies, I believe the Phase and Leaf backs require a wake-up cable where the Hasselblad backs do not. It is something to check at any rate.

Geoff

Another fly in the ointment - digital backs require more precise focusing, and also are very sensitive to shake. So that handheld wide open shot at 1/30 becomes more difficult. If you work off a tripod and are willing to shoot with DOF, its less of an issue. But it is one of the reasons that the migration from handheld MF shooting (say with 'blad) to the digital era was more difficult than first considered.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The only thing that bugs me with the digital option on the V-series is that the back doesn't rotate, and the square sensors are kinda smallish.
The Leaf Aptus II 10R and Leaf Aptus II 12R are available in a V mount with internally rotating sensor.

Bit out of the OP's price range, but thought I'd point you that way since you mentioned it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So in recent weeks, a rather nice condition Hasselblad 500CM system (body, back, two finders, 80 and 150mm lenses, tripod mount, filters, etc etc) has appeared on my doorstep—and for not a lot of money, thankfully. Adding it to the SWC kit I acquired last year, I have just about everything I'd need for 6x6 film shooting.

But it begs the question of a digital back. I cannot afford one at the moment, but I'm curious. Should I consider a Hasselblad CFV-16, CFV-39? What others (in a "reasonable" price range) would be interesting to look at? What do I need to know before getting involved with this level of Hasselmadness?

I should probably just grab a Polaroid 100 back, a few packs of Fuji instant film, and be happy with that. Hasselblad up front, and instant prints at the back ... yeah. ;-)

Godfrey
Some backs that might be in your price range:
P25, P25+, Aptus II 5, P45, P45+

All can rotate to vertical or horizontal, are near full frame (1.1 crop) and have full software/firmware/hardware support.

We only have one pre-owned P45+V right now. But inventory changes by the day, especially around the time of major product launches (like the IQ2 shipping here in a month or two).

A good strategy is to contact a dealer or two and let them know what you're looking for, and ask them to contact you if/when they have something coming in that might suit you.

Jeffg53

I've been thinking of going the same way. I would love to get back to squares. Apart from availability I wonder about the longevity of the old backs, and repair costs.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A good strategy is to contact a dealer or two and let them know what you're looking for, and ask them to contact you if/when they have something coming in that might suit you.
:thumbs:

I can personally vouch for this. Whist DT haven't managed to sell me anything, yet, this strategy has worked for me with my other two dealers. You'll be amazed at what they find or get on trade ... (in my case TWO basically as-new P25+'s).

Godfrey

Another fly in the ointment - digital backs require more precise focusing, and also are very sensitive to shake. So that handheld wide open shot at 1/30 becomes more difficult. If you work off a tripod and are willing to shoot with DOF, its less of an issue. But it is one of the reasons that the migration from handheld MF shooting (say with 'blad) to the digital era was more difficult than first considered.
Don't know why this is a "fly in the ointment." This is the third time I've owned a Hasselblad system.

I've always considered shooting with Hasselblads, particularly the SLRs but including the SWC, a tripod effort with time spent in critical focus adjustment and careful setting of DoF. Only rarely shoot with them hand-held, and when doing so usually keep the exposure times short (1/60 s minimum with an 80mm lens). That's why one of the very first accessories I ordered for both the SWC and the 500CM was the appropriate camera plate for my tripod QR clamp. I fit it and never remove it. ;-)

For handheld medium format work, a classic folder or a Rolleiflex TLR are far better choices than a Hassy 500, IME.

G

Godfrey

Some backs that might be in your price range:
P25, P25+, Aptus II 5, P45, P45+

All can rotate to vertical or horizontal, are near full frame (1.1 crop) and have full software/firmware/hardware support.

We only have one pre-owned P45+V right now. But inventory changes by the day, especially around the time of major product launches (like the IQ2 shipping here in a month or two).

Thanks, Doug.

Have to say that I'm not really in the market for a digital back yet at all, the prices for nearly any of them are way more than I'm interested in spending at the moment. I might want to rent one if a particular project comes up for which it will be the right thing. :)

G

Mammy645

Don't know why this is a "fly in the ointment." This is the third time I've owned a Hasselblad system.

I've always considered shooting with Hasselblads, particularly the SLRs but including the SWC, a tripod effort with time spent in critical focus adjustment and careful setting of DoF. Only rarely shoot with them hand-held, and when doing so usually keep the exposure times short (1/60 s minimum with an 80mm lens). That's why one of the very first accessories I ordered for both the SWC and the 500CM was the appropriate camera plate for my tripod QR clamp. I fit it and never remove it. ;-)

For handheld medium format work, a classic folder or a Rolleiflex TLR are far better choices than a Hassy 500, IME.

G
That's funny, I use mine almost exclusively handheld for documentary/street photography. Flickr: Hassy501CM's Photostream

Godfrey

That's funny, I use mine almost exclusively handheld for documentary/street photography. Flickr: Hassy501CM's Photostream
Nice set!

I'll do some handheld work with mine too, but what I'm usually after with Hasselblad is photos which exploit the resolving power of the lenses and format, which for me requires a tripod. I tend to want something smaller, quieter, maybe faster for this kind of street work most of the time.

(Hmm. The 500CM would be a lot faster with one of the rapid wind cranks on it. I just have the standard wind knob for this one right now...)