The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD: how to remove the filter? Which tools do I need?

weinlamm

I have a Mamiya ZD (camera). And the sensor has much, much dust. But I have a problem: the dust is not only in the camera, it's behind the filter.

But there's the next problem. I can't remove the filter, because I didn't get a filter removing tool with the camera.

The user manual didn't explain exactly, how to remove the filter. There are two thing, which I didn't get with the camera:
- IR Cut filter case
- Filter replacement guide

What do I need to remove the filter? Both or only the filter replacement guide?

And has anyone an idea where to get the needed things? I asked Mamiya germany. The wanted to ask "in Japan", but never heared anything from them again... :(

Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If it's the ZD camera then I would expect that you'll need to send it to Mamiya/Leaf support to have any dust behind the IR filter removed. If it was the ZD back then it would be a simple case of just using the requisite screwdriver to remove it - something that is pretty easy to do with the removable back.

weinlamm

If it's the ZD camera then I would expect that you'll need to send it to Mamiya/Leaf support to have any dust behind the IR filter removed.
It's the camera. But why do I need to send it to Mamiya...? There must be a way to remove the filter by myself...?

In principle it wouldn't be a problem to send it to Mamiya - but I had a service with remove the dust only 7 month ago! And now the sensor is full of (and behind the filter...!) again!

And the second point is, that Mamiya germany wants to have nearly 300 Euro for this service! :eek: And this is not a price I'm willing to pay every half year!
There it would be nearly cheaper to buy a 'new' camera every year... :banghead:
And every other firm, which offers sensor cleaning for different systems, told me, that they can't make it theirselfs, because they didn't have the tools.

So now I'm looking for this tools. But Mamiya germany didn't sell me this - I think they prefer to sell the service... :bugeyes:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I wouldn't want to be digging in to the mirror box myself to remove an IR filter but hey, it's your choice.

weinlamm

I think, if you are careful, there should be no big risk. I had have a Sigma sd14 in the past - there was a similar system to clean the sensor; But the filter was more in the front of the camera, so it wasn't a problem to *klick* it out (only the system to pull it out, was a little bit different).

But on the ZD I didn't find a way (without any tools) to remove the filter. And I didn'nt want to use violence.

JohnW.

With the ZD camera the filter case is also the removing tool. It connects to the slot on the bottom of the camera and allows you to withdraw the filter into the case.

I'm not sure if/how you can remove the filter without the case/tool.

These are all the instructions that came with the camera. Took a bit of trial and error to find out how it works.