The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Replacing the grips on a Cambo WRS?

2jbourret

I'm planning on making zebrawood grips for my WRS, if I can figure out how to remove and replace the black grips that came on the body. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? There don't seem to be any obvious screws, etc. on either the body or grips.

Thanks!

kdphotography

Actually, you should just make the trip out to Tucson and make Don put the grips on for you. Better yet, Don will be out in Carmel next week and he can install them there for you at my studio. Don't forget to bring an extra set of zebra wood grips... :D

2jbourret

Ken, both having Don do the install, and being in Carmel sound great. Alas, tis not to be. Besides I have work to do. The zebrawood is still just a rough block. Justin, Don, the posting was perfect, thank you.

Don Libby

You turn your back for a couple minutes and miss several posts...

I included a photo of my workspace while changing the grips. I used just about every single thing there including the power drill and small hand drills. There's 6-screws total (3-on each side) and 3- of them were so damn tight I striped the heads and had to drill them out. Not for the faint of heart.

Many thanks to Justin for pointing out the write-up. Many thanks to Steve for his high opinion.;) And thanks to Ken for volunteering our services.:cool:

Jamie - be prepared for the worse and have your drill batteries fully charged. If you run into a problem contact me and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

One last thought - as much as I love the new grips there is no way in hell that knowing what I went through would I ever do it again. What should have been a very simple (many and hour) chore to do last many hours. Too many hours.

Don

2jbourret

Don,
Having peeled back the sticky-back felt and found the screws, I see that the screws have very little 'meat' around them where they screw into the grips. This is fine in the aluminum grip, but I am concerned that there will not be adequate strength so near the edge of a wood grip, especially given the torque on a larger grip. Do the factory wood grips account for this in some way? Is there a metal strip inset into the wood that is drilled to receive the screws, or some other means to strengthen the wood at that critical point? I would certainly use longer (wood) screws, but it still doesn't look like there will be much strength there.

Thanks,

Jamie

kdphotography

Don's en route to Carmel. Where are you and my new zebra wood grips? :D

I'll make sure Don responds to you Jamie when he gets in. :)

Don Libby

Jamie - Here I am! Just had the trip from hell going through Los Angeles; the "normal" 6 hrs turned into closer to 10 after spending the night in Barstow. Oh well.

My brain is fried at the moment. I believe I remember the new grips coming with new (slightly longer?) screws and I also seem to remember they might be an insert in the wood for the screws. Please don't take my work for it! I didn't bring the WRS with me on this trip as I wanted to give my new Sony NEX-7 Infrared camera a shot.

My immediate suggestion is to call Capture Integration and pick their brain-power, I not too certain if Ken will be willing to let me tear his WRS apart. Baring all this I'll be home early next week.

Don

2jbourret

Hi Don, Ken. You have other things on your minds, I know. California coast, Big Sur, Garrapata.... Yeah, I'm jealous. Have a beer at Nepenthe for me.
Talk to you when you come back to reality.

Jamie

Don Libby

Having 8-hrs of sleep I'm much better than I was last night. I do remember the wood grips coming with a complete set of new screws. What I don't actually remember is if there's an insert in the wood to hold them - part of me says yes. That means you'll have to find screws small enough yet long enough to fit through the body then inserts to fit the wood. While I've no doubt the zebrawood is going to look good - I'd opt to get a regular set of wood grips and have that mush more time to shoot. Just saying.....

Don

2jbourret

Gotta admit, I'm wondering if I want to go thru with it, if it means in-setting a block of steel in each grip. Especially 'cause it now means doing it x4, since Ken is holding out for his pair. ;)