The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Graphics Card for Laptop

Hi,

I’m contemplating getting a new laptop for my Phocus and Photoshop CS6 work, on files coming from my H4D-50. I currently have a Dell Precisiion 4600 with a an ATI FirePro M5950 graphics card with 1GB of RAM.

Unfortunately this card seems unable sometimes to handle the large files I use. If I have a few of the 300 megabyte Tiff files open at the same time then Photoshop starts functioning very slowly and jerkily, and I sometimes have to restart Photoshop or even restart the computer.

Otherwise it’s a very good computer (2.2Ghz quad core processor, 32 GB of RAM, SSD for the system, and separate 750 GB 7200rpm drive for storage) Other than the problems mentioned above it hasn’t crashed in about 6 months (!!!!)

So I’m wondering which of the following graphics cards might be recommended:

AMD FirePro M4000 Mobility Pro with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated memory
NVIDIA Quadro K1000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory
NVIDIA Quadro K2000M with 2GB GDDR3 dedicated memory

These are available in South Africa for the Dell Precision 4700, which I’m considering getting.

Then other variants for other laptops include:

NVidia GeForce GTX 680M with 4GBC RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 675MX with 2GB RAM
NVidia Quadro K3000M with 2GB RAM

I wonder what is the difference in capability of Quadro and non-Quadro graphics cards?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

All the best.

Richard Naismith

drevil

Staff member
definetely choose a geforce card, the quadros are optimized for 3d and architecture presentation