The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H3d ... 39 vs. 31

J

JackieS

can I ask... is the 39 as good at iso400 as the 31mp ? Or as well as the extra stop that you get, its the 31 better with noise overall at higher iso ?

is there any other advantages or disadvantages of the 39mp camera over the 31 ?

i would appreciate any feedback. I was set on a 31mp (the resolution will be enough for me) but have actually been offered a very good deal on a 39 which will actually work out slightly cheaper. BUt then when you look at image sizes it does seem as if the 39 files are that much bigger than the 31 files ? IM slighthly confused. :cry:

many thanks

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well the 39 mpx you can use on a tech camera and the 31 will be much harder because of the micro lenses. Also there is a crop factor involved with the 31 mpx. Now i don't know about noise since i don't own one but I would tend to think like the Phase one with micro lenses the 31 would be better at noise levels.

Paratom

I have only a 22MPback but its the same size as the 39 MP.
While I liked to have a sensor without microlenses with the option to use it also on a camera with movements - I have to say that so far I have had quite some situations where 1 step better ISO would have been a big plus.
So - if you do not plan to use a camera with movements, and if the crop is ok for you and 31 MP enough I would probably rather take the 31MP back if I were in your situation.
However I only have a few weeks of MF experience.

woodyspedden

Be aware that Hasselblad has promised a firmware update for the H3DII-39 which will increase the ISO from the current 400 max to 800 max. That will be a definite positive for handheld shooting.

Woody

mark1958

The H3D-31 will go to 1600. I have seen some side by sides and the 31 is much better for noise at the higher isos. THere is a tradeoff because less able to use with a camera with movements. Marc Williams has both cameras but i did do some comparisons before getting the 31 and there is clearly a noise advantage

J

JackieS

ok thanks

i dont really need 39mp so looks as if i should go for the extra stop