The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which level to trust?

narikin

When leveling a shot I have 3 built in options to check for everything being straight and true - the tripod head levels, the camera built in levels (Alpa) and the digital level built into the IQ series backs.

They all give me slightly different readings. Wondered what other people are following.

kdphotography

I find it easiest to work with the level in the IQ180; a few twists of the knobs on the Cube and I'm done.

:) ken

Shashin

What is this for? If you are doing artwork and you want the axis perpendicular to the work, then a mirror is a better solution. If it is architecture, then way is giving you the best result? Use that one.

stephengilbert

"I find it easiest to work with the level in the IQ180?"

Maybe Ken was absent when Graham brought his Phase back in to the RRS facility so he could adjust the level on their marble level tables. :)

Our visit to RRS makes me trust their levels, but they are a bit small.

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Maybe Ken was absent when Graham brought his Phase back in to the RRS facility so he could adjust the level on their marble level tables. :)

Steve

And which level do you trust if you don't have an IQ180 :poke:

I don't trust digital levels at all. They may have come a long way, but I'm totally old school when it comes to that. There are two levels on my Cube, but there are too many things in between those levels and the digital back to get perfectly accurate. I keep one of these in each camera case. I place them either alongside the digital back or against the sliding back, as those are the points closest to the sensor and most likely to achieve accurate level/plumb.

CB

Don Libby

I've always found the levels on my WRS to be as near level as I can get. Just find one and work with it. I completely disregard the levels on the Cube when using the WRS.

Hope that made sense...

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

I now know that my Alpa levels were 100% accurate already (not surprised although it was great to verify). I also reset my IQ to the guaranteed level base too. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the sensor matches but given all of the above I can now trust my IQ and Alpa to match and so that's TWO sets of levels that match at least which is one more than most people can rely on.

Regarding which level to trust - basically just pick ONE and stick with it. Trying anything else is an exercise in frustration.

The levels I don't trust are the ones on my expensive CUBE. Great head but after seeing how much care RRS put in to keeping their levels, err level, I don't have confidence that Arca applied the same care with the head.