The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Leica reinvented MFD...or not

Shashin

Some of the Pentax lenses are great, some were considered great 20 years ago (but not now), and only a few were actually designed for the 645D. What non-Pentax lenses can you use on the 645D?
You can use Hasselblad lenses as well as Pentax 67 lenses. Pentax has also the first MFD lens with optical stabilization.

The point I was trying to make was while the 40MP options from Phase and Hasselblad cost about the same as an S2, the Pentax 645D does not. The Pentax is head a shoulders better than the Phase body--I have no idea about the current Hasselblad model, but the H series camera I saw was not that great.

So what is making the S body so expensive? Is Leica just going to keep it there because of its brand value? But the price is simply more than R&D costs and a small market. Pentax had the same costs and the same small market.

craigrudlin

I will admit that liveview may be useful in certain situations, probably studio work in particular. But, my experience with Nikons is that LiveView really isn't very helpful
in the field (landscape, action, wildlife, etc.) because of glare, reflections, etc. off the
LCD. Yes, you can use a goodman, or even a black drape as in days of old, but the
point remains, it is not very practical. I installed the split screen (microprism) on
my Leica S2 and with its amazing large, bright, clear viewfinder, I really do not miss
LiveView.

Tilt-shift is an issue. But, Schneider (I think this is the brand) makes a tilt-shift lens for the Leica S (See Dale Photo). I have been addressing this issue with focus stacking
with amazing results. This approach allows even more creativity since the in-focus
areas do not need to be in the same plane at all.

I would like very much a faster frame rate.

I agree with Joe that the currently available Nikon lenses do not meet the
specs and needs of the D800E (which I also have). In fact, I got some Leica
R lenses (fortunately before Leica made the adapter for the M :) ) and am
using these on the D800E. Much better, although there may be some softness
in the corners. I have not tried the Zeiss. The issue with Leica or Zeiss on
the D800E is the viewfinder is small and dark compared to the Leica, and
makes manual focusing much more difficult. You are almost forced to use
LiveView-- with the limitations mentioned above about daylight use.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The number is wrong from what I have been told and not going to say who told me either but its more like 15k total MF per year.

Shashin

Uh-oh, that would put Leica with less than 10% of the market.

But we should not expect accurate sales number from company spokes people. It really is not something you want to make public, partly because I think the size is not known and if you have investors, boosting numbers is not a good idea.

I think Hassy would be the one to come out with the S&M model... Red satin wood, covered by lace. I would buy one just to tell people what it's called...

But where Leica has seriously changed the game is the adapter for Hassy lenses. I feel like Phase will try to do the same thing. When the CEO did that interview a while ago he talked about opening the system up even more...

tjv

The S would be the perfect camera for me if 1: it was 4x3 ratio and 2: Leica made tilt and shift lenses that do justice to the sensor and 3: 60MPX with live view.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Pentax does sound tempting for sure. Going back to numbers even at 10 percent for Leica 1500 per year is actually a good number for them. Most likely given there product line that is what they are probably capable of handling and that number still brings a profit. Honestly if I remember correctly that's what they estimated when they released it a couple years ago. Given they are starting to produce numbers in lenses and the Hassy adapter it surely will increase in time. They do need a new sensor though to kick them past these numbers though. But I think they are doing exactly what they expected. Good for them. Leica has to decide in this line of S gear what they want to go after more numbers or stay pat. If they dropped pricing it would certainly put more on the streets. At this point given the glass and Hassy adapter they could make some real market share, I'm still tempted by it. I need a really good pricing package though and high ISO to replace my Nikon system with it. Still its a nice system

tsjanik

Much, much less. I see that Pentax has reduced the price on a brand new 645D to $7k. That is just amazing....and getting very hard to resist.

Gary
You've been on the fence for awhile Gary, time to get off. You only live once.
(At least that's the rationale I use).

Tom

Shashin

And combined with the savings in film and developing and all that Pentax glass you have, it will be a steal.

bensonga

"Resistance is futile..." and "been on the fence".

So true, so true. I love the Leica S, but the truth is, I'll never be able to afford one (or a used Hasselblad H4D-40 Stainless, even at the reduced price).

Perhaps the Pentax 645D is the "everyman's" Leica.

Time for me to get serious about it....which means making some tough choices. Which camera systems will go on the chopping block? I hate selling stuff.

Back to the Leica S...I downloaded the three Leica S magazines to my iPad last night. Some incredible work there...I highly recommend them for anyone who is interested.

Gary

Ken_R

I had the Pentax 645D for a few weeks. It was boringly easy to use and reliable. Af was spot on. The control layout is excellent and the rear lcd large and with very good image quality. Awesome camera. Image quality is excellent even during 30 sec exposures at iso 100 and 200. I will miss it.

D&A

You've been on the fence for awhile Gary, time to get off. You only live once.
(At least that's the rationale I use).

Tom
Who said Tom??? I'm banking on going around at least two or three time, so I can have a chance to use every available system besides the 645D I currently use. The caveat is that I win the lottery at the each go-around...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I had the Pentax 645D for a few weeks. It was boringly easy to use and reliable. Af was spot on. The control layout is excellent and the rear lcd large and with very good image quality. Awesome camera. Image quality is excellent even during 30 sec exposures at iso 100 and 200. I will miss it.
ken quite agree. Unless one actually has the 645D in had and uses it..they don't realize how well an intergrated camera it is. When one carefully choses Pentax 645 lenses to use with it (in additon to carefully select well performing samples as my posted comprehensive test I posted in the past showed), it then becomes apparent that it's a system that performs well beyond what a lot of people assume from looking at it on paper.

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

Pentax 645D as revolutionary it was in terms of pricing, just like the Mamiya ZD, is short lived with limited appeal. There is a near IR (special order?) offering of the 645D with <1000 units planned.

While I appreciate all the Leica beta testers who made the Leica MM a reality, I doubt if there will be a Leica SM ever. Leica have found a great selling product in the MM and are likely to stick with it.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Love my S. I swapped my IQ 180, Arca bodies and four Schneider and Rodenstock lenses for an S and four lenses. I haven't looked back. For me for now tight integration (NO LCC!), ergonomics and robustness beat megapixels. Just a point of view. My largest prints are 24x36 - S resolution is more than adequate. Only downside: no wide tilt shift.