The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Leica reinvented MFD...or not

ondebanks

Is there anyway anyone is going to buy a 645D in lieu of a S? Especially after seeing some shots from either system? :ROTFL:
Yes, of course there is! Anyone who can't afford the S but can afford the 645D...and that's a lot of people.

From the comfort of my armchair, I can point out that neither system is really the full package.

For me, the one thing that the S has going over the 645D is that the S can take M645 lenses...pretty unique stuff like my favourites: the 24/4 ULD fisheye, the 80/1.9, and the 200/2.8 and larger APOs.

The 645D OTOH does not have Leica's ridiculous patriarchal exposure time limit of 126 seconds. Jesus wept. This is supposed to be a camera for professionals? You know, people with the experience to judge photographic situations well enough to make a living from them?

Ray

Ken_R

Look, If I were in charge of Leica, I would lower prices to increase the customer base but not too much so as to detract from its luxury item and exclusivity image. There is a fine line here. Too high a price and yes, you make more per item but sell a heck of a lot less. Where does the price/sales curves meet? If I knew that I would be a rich man.

RVB

Look, If I were in charge of Leica, I would lower prices to increase the customer base but not too much so as to detract from its luxury item and exclusivity image. There is a fine line here. Too high a price and yes, you make more per item but sell a heck of a lot less. Where does the price/sales curves meet? If I knew that I would be a rich man.
Leica did drop the price when the S was released,and as they recoup their investment they may drop it again in the future or at least hold off on price increase's.It's currently around the same price as an IQ140.

tsjanik

.............To date, S service has been the best of any camera company I've used. Most recent was a dead pixel, which with CCDs causes a thin line from the pixel location to the edge. Dealt with Kelsey Fain of Leica USA, sent a DNG black frame, Leica Germany remapped, send me two base firmware files the next day, then reloaded the latest camera firmware. Problem solved in time for my next job............

-Marc

Hi Marc:

The 645D can map out dead pixels in camera. I have used it and it works; takes about 10 minutes.
I mention this not to start a "my camera is better" conversation, but rather that I have the impression many dismiss the 645D without any knowledge of its capabilities (not your comments). In 2 1/2 years I haven't needed any service.

Tom

fotografz

Hi Marc:

The 645D can map out dead pixels in camera. I have used it and it works; takes about 10 minutes.
I mention this not to start a "my camera is better" conversation, but rather that I have the impression many dismiss the 645D without any knowledge of its capabilities (not your comments). In 2 1/2 years I haven't needed any service.

Tom
Nice feature. Seen plenty of very nice shots from the 645D, so no dissing from me.

I need something else ... namely all leaf shutter lenses, which is why I used a H camera for years, and a V camera for many years before that.

Now with the dual shutter S system I have the best of both world's in an easy to take-with form factor. If I did landscapes, I'd want a modular kit, like a Phase One back on a tech camera, but I don't do that type work.

All the best,

-Marc

tsjanik

Marc:

Let me emphasize that it was nothing you wrote. I simply used your bad pixel post to point out one of the nice features of the 645D.

No question the 645D is not the system for shutter lenses, OTOH, if you want 4:3 and a 600mm, it works.

Regards,

Tom

D&A

Marc:

Let me emphasize that it was nothing you wrote. I simply used your bad pixel post to point out one of the nice features of the 645D.

No question the 645D is not the system for shutter lenses, OTOH, if you want 4:3 and a 600mm, it works.

Regards,

Tom
Quite agree Tom but its nice to know that Pentax has a couple of 645 legacy manula focusl LS lenses that cost a song and dance...not much more than a price of a Leica S accessory like a dedicated cable release. Those Pentax LS lenses are a bit long in the teeth and film era lenses but in a pinch and more, get the job done when needed.

Dave (D&A)

johnnygoesdigital

So, I can't make subjective statements, but you can? And you can interpolate your single experience and opinion as a trend? Shashin-

No trend because I try to include the words "in my opinion" or "for me". I would never try to exaggerate my own abilities.