The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S-ADAPTER H

pesto

I would be interested in hearing thoughts of people who have had experience with the Leics S-ADAPTER H. ..how well does the auto focus function work with regard to speed and accuracy when using this adapter and how do the images look when compared with the Leica S lenses? Are there any of the HC lenses that more suited to this transition than others? I am especially interested in the Hasselblad 300MM F/4.5 HC and 100 mm f/ 2.2.

Thank You,

DAB.

Last edited:

thrice

Hi DAB,

AF is almost as quick as S lenses, and faster with higher accuracy than on H bodies.

Sync is faster at 1/1000 compared to 1/800 on H bodies.

Compared to the S lenses however they fall a little short. Obviously they are designed for a slightly bigger image circle and are somewhat legacy film designs. The S lenses are the closest to perfect for a digital sensor that have ever been made...

My strong recommendation is to take some H lenses into an S dealer to have a play

fotografz

Used most all of the H lenses on the S2. I also have the S 35, 70, 120, 180 in CS versions.

The Hasselblad HC-50-II (35mm in 135 DSLR terms) is a focal length not available in the S lens line-up and is as good as the S lenses, The 100/2.2 is also unique and when used on the S camera is the fastest aperture AF lens available ... wide open it can display a bit of CA which disappears when stopped down. The 300/4.5 is also a unique focal length on the S camera.

All of the HC and HCD lenses have been DAC corrected by Leica, and they appear in the lens corrections drop down in LR.

The S35mm trounces the HC 35 which is an older film era optic. The HC 120/4 Macro focuses down to 1:1 where the S120/2.5 Macro has a faster max aperture, but can only focus to 1:2.

Focus speed for the 50-II, 100/2.2, 150N is identical as when used on the H4D camera when the AF is assigned to the rear thumb button on the S camera.

I sold my H4D/60 and am selling all of the HC/HCD lenses except the 100/2.2 to use on the HTS/1.5 mounted to the S2.

S2 Sync speed of H lenses is 1/750.

-Marc

pesto

Thank you Mark and Thrice,
I have no experience with Hasselblad lenses, but I do have the 30,70,120,and the 180 S lenses. I miss having having a "long" lens and am not at all optimistic that we will see the oft rumored 350 anytime soon, hence my question...the 50 and 100 would also make nice additions. The 120 is wonderful but is slow to focus and if the 100 were a bit quicker and given its rendering, is attractive as well.

Thanks again,

Douglas Benson

thrice

My bad about the sync... not sure what confused me. The HC50 does represent a hole in the S range... hmm... ;)