The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 47 and 72 XL on IQ180?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I am researching a possible purchase of an Alpa STC setup with both these lenses. If anyone has knowledge to share of how they do on an IQ180, especially with movements and regarding use of CF and efficacy and need for LCC I'd greatly appreciate the info. Thanks in advance!
Tim

danlindberg

The 47 is replaced with the newer 43 that has plenty more resolving power. I would try it before purchase. Some are very happy with the 47, but not many combine it with a IQ180.

I am not sure if you mean the 72 L, because somewhere in my mind I think there used to be a 72 XL but in the film days. IF it is the Digitar 72 L then it is stellar with an IQ180, including movements.

kdphotography

With the IQ180, I still think you're better off with the Rodies, at least on the wide end. HR40 has your name on it. ;)

ken

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the help everyone. These model designations are very complex... As far as I can tell, the exact models are:

Apo-Digitar 5.6/47 mm XL (optically the same as Apo-Helvetar XL 5.6/48 mm)

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/72mm L (which I can't find listed at Linhof Studio in uk but might be the same as the Alpa Schneider Apo- Helvetar L 5.6/75mm?)

goesbang

The 47 is an excellent lens but is clearly out-resolved by the 80Mp backs. I have shot with it on both my Aptus12 and my IQ180 and images are noticeably softer than my Rodie 23 and 40 on the same back. It performed superbly on my P25, P45+ and was "good but not great" on my P65+.
Both the Rodie 40 and the SK 43 are superb performers on the 80 MP sensors. The 40 has much less lenscast then the 43 but still requires LCC.

M

mjr

IF it is the Digitar 72 L then it is stellar with an IQ180, including movements.
Tim

Dan is correct, this is the Apo-Digitar 5.6/72 mm L, the 47mm is the Apo-Digitar 5.6/47mm XL

Both have boxes with serial numbers on them if you need them.

Cheers

Mat

torger

I have the Apo-Digitar 47/5.6 XL. It's one of my favourite lenses as I like the focal length very much, but it's not my sharpest lens. Even on my 33 megapixel back one can in some occasions see some slight chromatic aberrations, not a real problem on the 33 meg, but I would not recommend it to an IQ180. The Digitar 43 is a newer lens design with higher resolving power.

There are both new and old designs in the Digitar series, and some focal lengths have received updates so it can be a bit confusing. The naming is a bit tricky too, as many don't use the full exact names, not even Schneider themselves. As far as I know there's only one 72mm though, the "72 L", or just "72", whose real focal length actually is closer to 75. I have that lens too and it's very sharp on my back and I would guess it's adequate for the IQ180 too.

Ken_R

I have the 40mm HR and it is stunning (iq160). I wouldn't mess about with other lenses in that range with a back like the iq180. THIS guy uses that combination, I don't think its by chance :D

alajuela

I have the 40mm HR and it is stunning (iq160). I wouldn't mess about with other lenses in that range with a back like the iq180. THIS guy uses that combination, I don't think its by chance :D
Hello
Nice photos but a questions how does he do a 4 minute exposure with a IQ 180.

If on bulb - then the photo is ruined?

Thanks

Phil

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I have an IQ180. I used the SK 47 XL for a couple of months and sold it. Compared to the HR40mm, there is a significant difference even I can see it :) I have no doubt about you.
For 60-70mm range, the SK 60 XL (bought from Guy) or 70mm HRW are outstanding (at the moment, I've had both).
If I were you, I will be patient with the lens choices as they will be hard to sell if you don't like them. It's not a big market.
I have HR lenses 23, 28, 40, 70, 100mm and they are excellent with the IQ180. I did lots of researches (and I am a medical researcher) and looked like you don't have many choices for IQ180. It is a painful path but you have to accept it. If you keep buying and selling, you will loss more.
If you can trade your IQ180 with IQ260, you may be able to save some money with the lenses for tech cam. Something to think about. I thought about it but finally decided not to as I love my IQ180.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you deeply everyone. I have decided to follow all this good advice and pass: the package as offered was tempting because of the STC but the lenses don't sound right for me, and as others have observed, the Rodie 40 sounds like the way to go for starters.

Thanks again, y'all have saved me time sweat and money!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have an IQ180. I used the SK 47 XL for a couple of months and sold it. Compared to the HR40mm, there is a significant difference even I can see it :) I have no doubt about you.
For 60-70mm range, the SK 60 XL (bought from Guy) or 70mm HRW are outstanding (at the moment, I've had both).
If I were you, I will be patient with the lens choices as they will be hard to sell if you don't like them. It's not a big market.
I have HR lenses 23, 28, 40, 70, 100mm and they are excellent with the IQ180. I did lots of researches (and I am a medical researcher) and looked like you don't have many choices for IQ180. It is a painful path but you have to accept it. If you keep buying and selling, you will loss more.
If you can trade your IQ180 with IQ260, you may be able to save some money with the lenses for tech cam. Something to think about. I thought about it but finally decided not to as I love my IQ180.

Your also set up real well with your glass, so in several ways it does not make sense unless you need long exposure. No doubt the IQ 180 is king of the hill as well. The IQ 160 the bottom line with a tech cam is you can cheat a little with glass and not have to get Roadie wide angles. The 35mm XL is the cheat lens really with the 160 as you can use that. The real point is if your running Roadies as your glass you can shoot any back without issues. The basic knowledge that we all learned here is you want the 180 buy the roadies and accept the price and choices. Now we all did not know that out of the gate on release but we sure do now and anyone looking at a 180 that really is the best path. And yes I miss my Cambo, 28 and 60 but I do know who has it. LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ok I just spent enough to buy everything I want on someone else's photo and now have to eat gruel and shoot with a rebel. Still, I finally have a truly great photo. Just wish I'd taken it.

dchew

Wow! Whatever it is, I'm glad you are happy with it! Go get a bottle of your favorite sh*t and stare at it for a few hours.

Dave

dchew

Oh, and by the way, I think you made the right decision. the Schneider 43/47's are very nice, but after selling my 43xl and getting the 40hr w/ 17ts, I am all that much happier.

But that 72 would be sweet!

Dave