The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Distortion correction with Rodenstock 40mm

Paul2660

What software/plugins are others using to correct the distortion on this lens? I have PTlens, but it currently doesn't have profiles for the 40mm.

Capture One if it has a correction, I can't find anything but the "generic" which doesn't seem to do very much.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What software/plugins are others using to correct the distortion on this lens? I have PTlens, but it currently doesn't have profiles for the 40mm.

Capture One if it has a correction, I can't find anything but the "generic" which doesn't seem to do very much.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Shoot something with a strong grid pattern.
Select Generic.
Dial in "distortion correction" slider
Save it as a style or preset.
Use the "movements" tab in the future in such cases as there was a rise or fall or shift.

It will not correct it 100% (since the slider assumes "simple" distortion and the 40HR has a touch of "complex" distortion). But if it corrects it 90% then you're unlikely to care (based on what I know of your kinds of subject matter) about the remaining 10%.

Paul2660

Doug,
Thanks, I assume a brick wall? would work. Does it matter on distance from the subject with the grid?

Thanks
Paul

anGy

Alpa offers a free tool to correct distortion of many Schneider/Rodenstock lenses. Options like rise/fall or left right shift movement if applied. it's Photoshop 64b compatible as a plug-in. Works great.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not macro, but otherwise not really important the distance.

Alpa's tool is great. But it requires you leave the raw workflow. If you can get satisfactory results using Capture One's raw distortion correction you can apply in batch (without open-adjust-save-close) and apply without leaving raw.

cunim

Not macro, but otherwise not really important the distance.

Alpa's tool is great. But it requires you leave the raw workflow. If you can get satisfactory results using Capture One's raw distortion correction you can apply in batch (without open-adjust-save-close) and apply without leaving raw.
Doug, thanks for the pointer. I have been using Alpa's tool but will try venturing into the deeper areas of C1. Just to confirm, if I enter the shift the distortion model accommodates?

dchew

You could always use LR/ACR's lens profile maker. I used it on the Zeiss 21 when I was shooting canon and it fixes that lens's mustache distortion very well.