The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V : the holy trinity

fotografz

If using film with a full 6X6 area:

65/3.5 CFi ... good for environmental settings with model (like a 35mm in 135 film cameras.)

100/3.5 CFi ... for full body work (if your studio lets you get back far enough)

180/4 CFi or CFE ... for head shots

Extension tubes to use on the 100 and 180 for details like close ups of an eye.

If using a CFV digital back that has a 1.5X crop factor:

40/IF (currently comes with the CFV bundle) for the environmental type work.

65/3.5 for the full body shots

120/4 Makro + tubes for close-ups

Seascape

The 100 and 180 certainly are superb lenses. I find (from limited shooting with the 60 3.5) that the FLE version (current) of the 50 4.0 is just as good as the 60.

That is my 3 lens kit, 50 4.0 FLE, 100 3.5, 180 4.0........I'm set !!

Dolce Moda

I have been looking at the prices on Ebay for 503CW kits.

They seem quite high. I intend to shoot digitally eventually. I was drawn to the V system because
of the availability of many great lenses for cheap.

Now that I have seen the prices, I see that I can get a Hasselblad H1 kit for pretty much the same price
as a 503CW kit.

Should I look at the H1 instead? I am a fashion shooter

T

tetsrfun

There is a H3D 22mp kit at KEH for $9K..seems like a great deal to get you into Hassy digital.

Steve

fotografz

There is a H3D 22mp kit at KEH for $9K..seems like a great deal to get you into Hassy digital.

Steve
You can still use the V lenses on the H cameras with the CF Adapter.

Dolce Moda

Steve
Yes I was looking at that. I think the H1 would be better for me because it would allow me to switch backs. The H3D cannot accept a different backs.

Does Hasselblad still have a trade-in program? If so, then the H3D might be a better choice.

T

tetsrfun

Yes I was looking at that. I think the H1 would be better for me because it would allow me to switch backs. The H3D cannot accept a different backs.

Does Hasselblad still have a trade-in program? If so, then the H3D might be a better choice.
Fotografz is the one that can give you advice on the pros and cons of Hasselblad options and whether that kit would fit you needs.

Steve

fotografz

No, Hasselblad doesn't have a trade-in program after the last round of cost adjustments that lowered the price of new gear. That doesn't mean a dealer won't take a trade-in, or the camera couldn't be sold outright ... the latter always being the better course of action financially.

The H1 camera uses the older grip battery which is less powerful ... unless the camera was upgraded by Hasselblad. The H2 and H3D, onward use the newer grip battery designed to better power both the camera and a Hasselblad digital back. While rare, some older H1 cameras also have older lenses which are not compatible with newer H cameras and have to have their firmware upgraded at the factory. If one uses a Phase One, Sinar, or Hasselblad CF digital back on an H1 camera, the grip power is not an issue since all these backs have their own on-board battery power. The drawback is that the camera and the back have to be powered up and monitored independently.

The H1, H2, H3D and H2F all accept Hasselblad digital and film backs. The H1 and H2 accept digital backs from other makers that offer an H mount.

All the Hasselblad H mount backs including the H3D and H3D-IIs, can be used on a technical camera when tethered to a computer, or using the Hasselblad Image Bank-II for field work without a computer.

With each succeeding model, the H system has become more integrated between body, lens back and software. This philosophy has led to more proprietary integration and less compatibility with other digital backs ... culminating in "no compatibility" at all with the later H3D and H3D-II.

Since the bigger issue with most people is the ability to use the more costly digital back across camera platforms, there are 2 makers still offering backs with user swappable mounts ... Sinar, and Hasselblad with their CF backs.

As far as which camera to get based on cost ... I'd grab that H3D/22 for 9K in a NY heartbeat.