The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Starting out...which to get?

Kjarahz

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I'm looking to get into a medium format camera. Let me start with some of my background.

I'm a cinematographer that has used Canon DSLR's and other larger format cameras, FS100/700 AF100 etc. etc. naturally since I started with a Canon DSLR I was somewhat interested in photography. Using a full frame camera was nice and produced different results, much nicer, opinion*.

I'm getting ready to go on a vacation and have done some research into the medium format genre. In fact I shot a BTS video with Jose Villa not terribly long ago that really got me thinking about checking everything out. Can be seen here: Once Upon A Bride on Vimeo (It's all my content and edit etc.)

Anyway!

I really want to go back to the roots, shoot film and really get that interactive feel that such a camera would give.

So, naturally I want a minor investment as it's really just for fun. I was looking at a Mamiya 645 with a 1000s back because apparently the shutter speed can be set at 1/1000, which obviously is better so I don't have to stop down etc etc.

What do I need? Where do I start? Start to finish what can I spend (couple hundred dollar range?) and be happy and get what I'm looking for.

Also do they meter or do I need a light meter?

Thanks in advance!

Ken_R

Hi, when I used film I preferred the larger formats. I had 2 Pentax 6x7 bodies and really liked them. For trips I usually took one body, a 90mm and a 55mm lens. The Pentax 67 works well for shooting people and landscapes and its easy to use. Its basically a jumbo SLR. For ultimate quality I would look into a 4x5 camera but roll film is much easier to use. 6x9 is also a great format.

Shashin

I would start by thinking about the format. 6x4.5 is the smallest and so you get the most shot per roll, but going large or using uncommon formats like the square are what sets medium-format cameras apart.

If you want to start a the low-end of the price range, then TLRs (Twin Lens Reflex) are a good place to start. Rollei is the most well known and Mamiya and Yashica have excellent models. Minolta made some nice TLRs as well. Mamiya was the only to make one with interchangeable lenses. All of these are square formats. They are fun cameras.

If you want to go even cheaper, you can also look at folding cameras, but they can be prone to problems.

If you like rangefinders, the Fuji series of medium-format rangefinders are a good deal. They came in 6x4.5, 6x8, and 6x9. There was a zoom model that has AF, but most are MF. Most cameras had a fixed lens--there was a interchangeable lens model, but it is rare.

Then there is the box-style waist-level camera. Those can be found in 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x7. Manufacturers include Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya, and Rollei.

For an eye-level camera, Pentax, Mamiya, and Contax made SLR models. For rangefinders, you can look at not only Fuji, but Mamiya and Bronica.

For most of these cameras, you will need a light meter. Even with cameras with meters, you might be better off with a separate light meter. Incident metering is usually the quickest and easiest method.

I am curious. Why medium format? Is there any particular photography that inspired you to look into it? If so, could you name the photographer or post an image? If you have a specific look in mind, a photograph would help us help you identify at least the format, if not the camera type.

proenca

If its film MF, I would go for something "outside" the box, or at least a bit more unconvencional, that would be more fun ( from my perspective at least ) to use.

I would steer away from 6x45, the experience is somewhat close to 35mm and not much fun vs high end Canon dSLRS which you use.

I would go to something like Hasselbad 500 series, lens arent that terrible expensive, its nice to hunt a good body and the square format, shooting position and the whole experience just complements your dSLR.

Pentax 67 would be cool as well, for a more traditional style but humongus negatives.

Otherwise, I would go Rollei / TLR route.

Whatever you go, prices are cool. If you need AF and 6x45, I can't find anything better quality vs cost than a Contax 645. The lens are just superb.

Whatever you do, stay away from digital Medium Format.

Run. Hide. Dont even check prices.

You have been warned.

Kjarahz

I am curious. Why medium format? Is there any particular photography that inspired you to look into it? If so, could you name the photographer or post an image? If you have a specific look in mind, a photograph would help us help you identify at least the format, if not the camera type.
For reference: http://josevillablog.com/

Pretty much anything by him, and especially Medium Format — DE VETPAN

Medium format just because it's new to myself, I've shot (BARELY but have) 35mm and 35mm isn't much different than a DSLR.

Perhaps I'm not looking at the right format, but I like their work. What can I do $500ish range? (Cheaper wouldn't be bad).

I'm open to options but need detailed information as I'm a fish out of water!

Thanks for all the replies as well, they are helpful but not detailed enough for me in a way. Again I'm clueless!

jlm

Workshop Member
" Start to finish what can I spend (couple hundred dollar range?)"

maybe a 3.5 Rollei, sweet little thing, could be had for less than $600, or a 500CM blad can go for near that.

Kjarahz

It's murder waiting for my comment to be approved! I'm trying to communicate with you all. As a reminder I really want to be south of $500 total!

Oh hey it went through! Wonder where my other comment went.

Here is what I'm looking to "mimic" http://vetpan.de/660 also http://josevillablog.com/

The roll off is so nice and the contrast isn't as harsh as a Canon DSLR for sure. It's the look I want.

I'm super fresh to this however and can't pinpoint what size I want, I don't care to much for square though I would
like wider if only just than tall. Again, I want something not to hard to deal with, manual focus isn't terrible nor a deal
breaker. I do it daily with my video career. Sucks a bit more when you aren't rolling for minutes at an event and it's only
a couple dozen shots at a cost haha.

Anyway, I don't know what I'd need with some comments that recommend this and that. I'm looking on KEH now and also ebay
but again I don't know what all I need like if it was a DSLR or video camera. Film backs etc. = confusion. I love B&W and would shoot
34-40% B&W as a heads up though if it matters. I suppose only in terms of buying film though.

Again thanks for all the help and perhaps this will get you guys a more clear picture of what I'm looking to do.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If shooting film then I'd also agree with the recommendation to go large - i.e. 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9. 645 is ok but not a big step up.

If you can afford it I'd also :thumbs: the Mamiya 6 or 7. However, the Fuji rangefinders are great value too.

If you want a DSLR then maybe also look at the Bronica SQ-A series as these are very affordable too.

Shashin

You say you don't want square, but both of these photographers are shooting square. I would also say they are not shooting wide, but normal--that would be 80mm for 6x6 or 90-105mm for 6x7.

For square on a budget, a Mamiya C3 or C330. This square TLR has interchangeable lenses so you could get a wide. You could look for a Bronica SQ-A, too.

For 6x7, either a Pentax 6x7 or Bronica GS-1.

For cameras with a film back like on the Hasselblad or Bronica, make sure it is for 120 film, not 220. For Pentax 67 or Mamiya cameras, the film type can be switched in the camera.

Kjarahz

Thanks Shashin,

Any reason to go Pentax 6x7 of a Nronica GS-1?

I've been looking at KEH at the Pentax and I wish they'd just sell a package item ha.

Seems like everyone recommends 6x7 for a larger format so I assume this is a sound decision.

How are the focus aids for such cameras? Are they like the split design in a 35mm?

Ranger finder would be ideal, would love a Leica but god forbid having a budget, looks to be the same for the Fuji no?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It's murder waiting for my comment to be approved! I'm trying to communicate with you all. As a reminder I really want to be south of $500 total!
Good luck. That's how it starts. It's all down hill from there. :ROTFL:

Mamiya 645 TL is your best bet for ultra-budget.

But I'd strongly consider saving until you have $1-$2k (grand total including lenses but including film) which will open up your options considerably.

Kjarahz

Thanks Shashin,

People keep recommending the 6x7 format, between the Pentax and the Bronica am I better off with one or the other, feature wise?

The Fuji sounds fun as a rangefinder, somewhat Leica like?

I wish on KEH they had bundles, so many things to piece together for the Pentax it seems.

Hopefully this message goes through? The other didn't.

Pics2

Another interesting camera is Kiev 60. It was my first MF some twenty years ago. My father traveled to Soviet Union at the time, and he bought it there. It is still in good working condition, it never broke. And it looks cool , doesn't it.
Thanks to Ebay, you can have this antique camera for cheap these days. The lenses are good, especially 120mm, if you can find it. It is 66 format, 80mm is normal lens, DSLR design, with interchangeable viewfinder, focusing is extra clear, there is even an integrated light meter.
kiev 60 | eBay

GrahamWelland

I find it somewhat sad that there's so much great MF film gear out there going for peanuts because of the trend away to digital. Such wonderful cameras and lenses available at fabulous prices. (Although some still holds its price premium such as linhof).

The first time you look through the viewfinder and trip the shutter you'll realize that whilst technically we leaped over mountains with current digital we have also lost the 'soul' and tremendous feedback you get from mechanical film gear. Sorry, just my $0.02 ...

Shashin

Thanks Shashin,

People keep recommending the 6x7 format, between the Pentax and the Bronica am I better off with one or the other, feature wise?

The Fuji sounds fun as a rangefinder, somewhat Leica like?

I wish on KEH they had bundles, so many things to piece together for the Pentax it seems.

Hopefully this message goes through? The other didn't.
The Pentax and Bronica are really two different cameras. The Pentax is an eye-level camera and the Bronica a waist-level one. Yes, you can get a waist-level viewfinder for the Pentax and and eye-level prism for the Bronica, but the ergonomics of those configurations are not ideal. Bronica is a dead line. I understand Pentax will still service their 67 cameras, but the line I believe is out of production.

Instead of going to places like KEH, you could try ebay or the for sale boards at places like GetDPI. You may find kits.

Bronica, Fuji, and Mamiya all made rangefinder medium-format cameras. Just like Leica, only bigger. ;)

Geoff

The TLR gets my vote - composing on the glass viewer is just something special. And the older ones have that oh-so-soft shutter, its like magic....

GrahamWelland

The TLR gets my vote - composing on the glass viewer is just something special. And the older ones have that oh-so-soft shutter, its like magic....
Also easier to blend into the environment and not be an obvious paparazzi too. Another plus is the ability to shoot relatively slow shutter speeds too when hanging from your neck.