The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa SWA ... Newbie Questions...

paul25

I do have have few tripods, including a very heavy and sturdy Manfrotto one.
But, I'd like to get a lightest possible one for my gegular weekend hikes.
So, each pound counts...:D

If Gitzo 1541T can handle Alpa SWA, I'd like to get that....
Obviously, I'll be using it for long exposures...

I went to fotocare yesterday, and compared the 1541 and 2451, and I could feel the difference of weight, though the difference is only a pound.

I'm even considering 1550T if it can handle SWA....

Both 1550T and 1541T have specs for at least 10 lbs, but if it is too wobbly, I'll have to go with 2531 or 2541....

Decision, decision.....:)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are looking at the Gitzo traveler tripods then you might want to read this first too:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-garage/35096-feisol-carbon-fiber-tripods.html

I brought mine along to our Death Valley workshop and Jack and a few others subsequently got their own, with Jack putting up this review. I followed his advice and added the spikes to mine which makes a big difference IMHO.

If you are interested, a friend of mine (who also went Feisol 3441T) put together a comparison spreadsheet of the various tripods for comparison of size / weight / segments etc. I'll see if there's a good place to put it here.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That would be a interesting thread. I can move it to the review section after your posting if you want.

Guy Mancuso

The Feisols are very nice. You have about 3 or 4 brands that are good solid tripods. Might want to look at the RRS 1 series traveler as well. I get a link to it.

Guy Mancuso

BTW that's a nice setup you have. I still to this day wish I had my P25+ back as a second back. Loved that back

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 on the P25+ on the Alpa or any tech really. It's really unstressed by the optics and so no problem stopping down to f/16 or more if needed. I know that you can get the same results by downrezzing a higher MP file but it's nice getting decent acuity and sharpness in the native file straight from the back.

Btw, I've attached the tripod comparison table. Guy: I'll send you a copy directly and you can post it where you want. Prices may be a little out of date but if someone wants the xslx let me know.