The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Tech Spec Summary

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We have just launched our Technical Camera Tech Spec Overview page on our website.

As far as I'm aware this is the only place one can find the weight, length, width, and movements of Cambo, Arca, and Alpa tech cameras in one place. It also has the full specifications for all modern Schneider/Rodenstock tech camera lenses including image circle, size, weight, and compatibility with the higher resolution digital backs.

Any comments, additions, and corrections are very welcome and can be posted here or emailed to [email protected]

This is in addition to the Tech Camera Visualization Tools (to which we owe a great deal to the forums for useful feedback on design/features/clarity) and the Arca and Cambo product pages in which we believe we present the most comprehensive feature/use evaluation available for these systems anywhere.

gerald.d

"Quotes may be delayed up to 20 minutes. Information is provided 'as is' and solely for informational purposes, not for trading purposes or advice. Disclaimer"

??

gerald.d

Just one other thing, with regards "Rear only", shouldn't the Alpa STC and SWA be listed as "no", since the lens and back can be swapped?

gerald.d

One more.

ALPA don't sell the Schneider 72. They have the 75, which is available in a short barrel mount.

torger

I think the 72 and 75 is the same lens(?), as the 72's actual focal length in the data sheets is 74.9mm or something like that, so I guess calling it "75" is more correct.

torger

"Quotes may be delayed up to 20 minutes. Information is provided 'as is' and solely for informational purposes, not for trading purposes or advice. Disclaimer"

??
Maybe some standard table stuff caused by the tool used (some google stuff?). I get the exact same information but in Swedish.

torger

Gerald, I saw you test the 23 HR on your Alpa FPS on an IQ180:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/494735-post23.html

To me it seems to have that microlens banding documented for some other wide angle lenses, and thus I would say that the 23 HR is not fully compatible with the IQ180, and thus it would say "limited" in the table. Do you agree, or is the banding issue so small that it can be ignored?

gerald.d

Hi torger -

The banding comes out if you really work the file hard. There was no sign of it in the original file, but it did come out under strong processing in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Having said that, it cleaned up 100% with the LCC.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

Well I'm not sure what parameters Doug is using for his different categories, so only he can answer it really.

For me, the 23HR is operating right at the limit of the back's capability, even without any shifting. I was extremely surprised when the banding showed up, and very grateful indeed for the resolution!

darr

I do not know why he has "No" for the 28 lens with Alpa as I have one and it works well with my Max.

If you do not sell Alpa cameras, how can you make technical recommendations about them?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I do not know why he has "No" for the 28 lens with Alpa as I have one and it works well with my Max.

If you do not sell Alpa cameras, how can you make technical recommendations about them?
That's under the heading "TS Available" meaning Tilt-Swing available. The 28HR is not available in a short-barrel tilt-swing compatible mount from Alpa.

I do not feel comfortable making technical recommendations about Alpa. However I do feel comfortable listing their technical specifications without comment/editorial next to the technical specifications of Arca and Cambo.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
One more.

ALPA don't sell the Schneider 72. They have the 75, which is available in a short barrel mount.
They are the same lens, so I think it's less confusing to list it as the 72. Maybe I should make an asterisk and a note to that effect underneath (same with the Alpa 48mm badging of the Schneider 47mm)?

Thank you however for pointing out the 75 is available in a TS-compatible mount for Alpa. I have updated the table accordingly. This is exactly the sort of correction I was hoping for; thanks again!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Just one other thing, with regards "Rear only", shouldn't the Alpa STC and SWA be listed as "no", since the lens and back can be swapped?
"Rear only" is meant to be a positive attribute meaning when stitching you don't have to be worries about the lens moving. Perhaps I should reword to "Rear Only Capable" or such to make it more obvious that this is a desirable (not limiting) attribute? It is described as such underneath.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well I'm not sure what parameters Doug is using for his different categories, so only he can answer it really.

For me, the 23HR is operating right at the limit of the back's capability, even without any shifting. I was extremely surprised when the banding showed up, and very grateful indeed for the resolution!
It's of course a judgement call, but I choose to judge based on the file quality/fidelity after proper LCC is applied. It's not that important to me if the file shows a cast or anomaly prior to LCC if it is not visible in the final file.

Mostly the goal is to alert potential users that, for instance, with an IQ180 the 28XL's stated image circle is not relevant (since you can't use hardly any of it with an IQ180).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The pages use Google Doc embedding to make it easier to maintain, share, and cross link between different pages/tools we have.

The disclaimer sucks (in so far as it's a non sequitur for most viewers), but it's non-optional, since elsewhere on the google doc we use a real-time translation of Alpa's Swiss Franc pricing into USD.

In the end it's an annoyance I choose to live with versus the alternative options.

gerald.d

"Rear only" is meant to be a positive attribute meaning when stitching you don't have to be worries about the lens moving. Perhaps I should reword to "Rear Only Capable" or such to make it more obvious that this is a desirable (not limiting) attribute? It is described as such underneath.
This explanation doesn't make sense though.

You list the Max "no", and yet, with the stitching adapter (and I rather suspect that everyone who purchases the camera, also buys the adapter - I know I did), the lens stays stationary whilst the back rises/falls/shifts.

I think this highlights the point that Darr was alluding to - you're not an Alpa dealer, and clearly do not have sufficient understanding as to the capabilities of the Alpa system to get this table right from the outset (presumably, this means that in discussing the merits of the cameras that you do sell, over the ones that you don't, you've been getting it wrong for a while).

There are also many built-to-order lens options for Alpa that you don't list in your table. Perhaps there are also BTO options available for Cambo and Arca? I wouldn't know. What I do know though, is that I recently purchased a 210mm Schneider in a SB34 mount for my Alpas, and this lens isn't listed in your table.

I'm also intrigued by the statement on the page that you have a private link available for your customers that includes pricing for all three manufacturers.

Why is this private? Alpa are totally open regarding the ex-factory price of every single thing they sell. On your private page that is only available when someone asks for it, how do you calculate the price of Alpa products?

Why is the FPS not listed?

You state on this page -

"But the numbers (price and specifications) are only a small part of the process of selecting a tech camera. The workflows, ergonomics, aesthetics, and "feels right" factors should weigh heavily in this decision.

We strongly encourage you to contact us for an appointment at our office, a remote demonstration (video+audio+screen+file sharing), or an evaluation rental (counted towards purchase) so we can help you determine which fits your needs best."

You then go on to detail Cambo, Arca, and Alpa cameras. And yet, you are not able to provide the above service for Alpa.

Following one of those appointments, remote demos, or evaluation rental, have you ever recommended a potential customer to buy neither Cambo nor Arca, but based on an understanding of their requirements and the true capabilities of the respective systems, told them that an Alpa solution is actually the best option for them?

darr

A problem I have with your tech specs is your blatant bias towards what you sell. If an Alpa or other non Arca or Cambo owner sees your bias, they may not want to spend their cash with you on other accessories (digital backs, etc.). Just saying you should not be so obvious with your sales pitch and using tech specs as a cover; at least this is how it may be perceived by buyers and users (me in particular, and I own and use Arca Swiss gear). There are other tech cameras out there to include in your spreadsheet, why is it Alpa seems to be the only comparison to what you sell?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You list the Max "no", and yet, with the stitching adapter (and I rather suspect that everyone who purchases the camera, also buys the adapter - I know I did), the lens stays stationary whilst the back rises/falls/shifts.
The additional Alpa accessory required to provide rear-only movements on the Max is not a feature of the body. No accessories are listed in the overview. One could say that ANY body (including Canon/Nikon) has "rear only" movements if you clamp the lens down to the tripod.

There are also many built-to-order lens options for Alpa that you don't list in your table. Perhaps there are also BTO options available for Cambo and Arca? I wouldn't know. What I do know though, is that I recently purchased a 210mm Schneider in a SB34 mount for my Alpas, and this lens isn't listed in your table.
Indeed. There are many additional lenses available for all three manufacturers. Each company is able/willing to mount just about any Schneider/Rodenstock lens. The list is of the represent the current Rodenstock/Schneider line. I will also gladly note this on Tuesday.

I'm also intrigued by the statement on the page that you have a private link available for your customers that includes pricing for all three manufacturers.

Why is this private? Alpa are totally open regarding the ex-factory price of every single thing they sell.
The Alpa website is not "totally open" with pricing. It requires you to register and then sign in to view their pricing. Likewise a quick email to us will give you the link with the pricing.

Why is the FPS not listed?
It's an overview, not a comprehensive list. Similarly the RM2D, DS, and RS-AE bodies are not listed.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A problem I have with your tech specs is your blatant bias towards what you sell. If an Alpa or other non Arca or Cambo owner sees your bias, they may not want to spend their cash with you on other accessories (digital backs, etc.). Just saying you should not be so obvious with your sales pitch and using tech specs as a cover; at least this is how it may be perceived by buyers and users (me in particular, and I own and use Arca Swiss gear). There are other tech cameras out there to include in your spreadsheet, why is it Alpa seems to be the only comparison to what you sell?
Please let me know where you see any information which is "blatantly biased" against Alpa on the technical overview page so I can correct accordingly. It's a list of technical specifications and it's presented without editorial comment.

Alpa/Arca/Cambo represent nearly the entire market for tech cameras in the US. They are the brands we find our customers are deciding between 99% of the time.