The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Starting Lens Setup For Tech Cam

Dogs857

Ahoy GetDPI

I have been lurking, reading and admiring on here for a little while now researching my inevitable move into MF photography. I currently shoot with a D3x and waaaaaay too many lenses.

I am going to buy a tech camera, unfortunately there are no two ways about it. I figure if you are going to do something then you should do it the most expensive way possible first time around :). I have an IQ180 in the wings (pending final payment, thanks Bob for being understanding).

The camera is another issue but I was after advice on a 3 lens setup for this type of gear. I am using it for shooting landscapes almost exclusively. I was thinking Rodie 40, 70 and 90 / 120XL. I do like the idea of the Rodie 55mm though as well.

Any advice will be most appreciated. I look forward to contributing to this fine site in the not too distant future.

kdphotography

Ahoy GetDPI

.... I figure if you are going to do something then you should do it the most expensive way possible first time around :)......

Well if that's not another quote for the Dante's forum archives, I don't know what is... :ROTFL:

So with that in mind, don't forget the 32HR. :D Ed Cooley (etrump) has some fantastic work here on the technical camera images thread with both the 32HR and 55.

I'm not a real wide shooter, so I went with the HR40 t/s. (Cambo and IQ180). I was tempted by the new HR90, but went HR70 t/s instead. With your mantra, the new HR90 is ideal. :D Either 120 or 150 would be nice on the long end.

ken

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now this new guy I like already. He has the right attitude coming into Dante's inferno. Lol

Your lens choices are good but I suggest look at the focal lengths that your using today and try to match that.

You could go roadie 28, 40, 70 and 120. Depends on how wide you go. 32,70,120 also a nice 3 lens kit. I mentioned this before decide early on your investment and need for a 3 lens or 4 lens kit as your final. Think system when buying.

Dogs857

Thanks fellas.

The prices at this end of town can certainly make you weep if you're not prepared for it. :eek:

Guy I agree totally about thinking system and buying accordingly. That's why I was looking for suggestions. To be honest at the moment I use a 14-24mm and 24-70 for most of my shooting in order to cut down on gear. I do own a lot of primes and the 35mm is by far my most used which is why I like the 55mm Rodie.

The problem there is always too much choice and the never ending doubt that you are making a bad decision. In the end I am sure whatever I buy I will be really pleased with. Luckily I am not afraid to spend money, I just want to make sure it is in the right direction. I have wasted way too much cash buying and selling gear before.

But then again who hasn't?? ;)

Ken_R

Hi, Im new to MFDB's and tech cams and chose the 40mm HR and now got the 70mm. Most of my landscapes were shot with the 24mm TS-E on a 5D3 and a 1DS3. Some were shot with the 40mm pancake. That made the 40mm HR the perfect choice as my workhorse lens to "replace" my 24mm in 35mm format and the 70mm as the next one up. Generally I just take the 40mm HR only. At least locally. For some grand landscapes abroad I definitely will take the 70mm also.

I travelled a great deal with my 5D3 and just the 24mm TS-E and the 40mm pancake lens. Almost never felt the need for anything longer.

The 40mm HR is a superb lens. Its easy to filter also. (67mm) Love it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With tech glass I find that you really don't need a large number of close lenses. I find the situation is very similar to using a Leica M system in so far as a good spread of 3-4 lenses works best. The trick is picking your first lens!

You may find that when you get your technical camera that you'll end up using and shooting wider than you may have done with your Nikon DSLR. That 35mm you use today may not be your preferred focal length equivalent on your tech cam. For example, my preferred lens on my DF body is the 55LS (equivalent to 35mm) yet when I use my Alpa I find myself gravitating more often than not to my 35XL or even 23HR. I have a 47XL and 90HRW and I'll more likely jump to the 90 vs the 47 from the 35XL. Remember that with 80mp you can always crop although admittedly it's not the same.

Good luck with your lens quest. The Rodie 40 is definitely where I'd start if I were buying again. From there you can build a good system. If you prefer wider then the Rodie 32 is spectacular but not small or cheap. (Cheap? Did I really say cheap in this forum? :ROTFL:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree need to pick the base lens and work around that. For many with the 180 the roadie 40 is the ticket and a 70mm are really good starting lenses. You can build out either way from there 28 or 32 and 90 or 120. I started with the 35 than I bought the 60 Schneider which is a amazing lens than sold the 35 went 28. I love the look of the 28 and forced perspective . Like Graham's comment fks tend to gap bigger with tech lenses. At these prices it's hard not too. Lol

I wanted a 3 lens kit but many will go 4 . Going 4 makes the 40mm a very obvious choice .

Your next hard part is the tech cam. Here you really can't go wrong with either if them. For you being down under you may have to make a choice on what's easier to get.

Okay need to go play golf this tech cam talk is getting me antsy.

gerald.d

Ahoy GetDPI

I have been lurking, reading and admiring on here for a little while now researching my inevitable move into MF photography. I currently shoot with a D3x and waaaaaay too many lenses.

I am going to buy a tech camera, unfortunately there are no two ways about it. I figure if you are going to do something then you should do it the most expensive way possible first time around :). I have an IQ180 in the wings (pending final payment, thanks Bob for being understanding).

The camera is another issue but I was after advice on a 3 lens setup for this type of gear. I am using it for shooting landscapes almost exclusively. I was thinking Rodie 40, 70 and 90 / 120XL. I do like the idea of the Rodie 55mm though as well.

Any advice will be most appreciated. I look forward to contributing to this fine site in the not too distant future.
My perspective on this is that everyone will have different needs depending on what they shoot.

The best advice I can give you is to go back through all the images you've shot with the Nikon, and work out which lenses you've used the most. Then buy the set of MF lenses that best matches the FoV those lenses gave you.

In my case, it was a no-brainer because something in excess of 70% of all photos I'd taken (excluding gigapixels panos) were shot with the Canon 17 and 24 TSE's.Therefore, the 23HR and 32HR were essential.

One thing I can tell you. You won't stop at 3 :)

Dogs857

One thing I can tell you. You won't stop at 3 :)
Yeah that's what I am afraid of ;)

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I did use my 14-24 a lot and between 17-24 mostly as well. So maybe the 32 is a better option. Too many decisions. I have a trip to the US planned and have bookings at a couple of places to try kit out so hopefully they will have a few of these lenses I can try as well. At the very least if I can nail down my wide then I can sort out the rest.

That's plan A at least. Standby for plan B.

GrahamWelland

If you're in Sydney during June and want to take a look at and try out an Alpa system then I'll be there all month for the day job ...

Dogs857

If you're in Sydney during June and want to take a look at and try out an Alpa system then I'll be there all month for the day job ...
Thanks Graham that is a very generous offer.

Unfortunately I fly to the US on the 02nd June for an extended trip. All month in fact so I will miss you completely. I have booked in with a couple of dealers in the US to demo Cambo Arca and Alpa whilst I am there.

Have fun in Sydney, have you been there before?? If you would like some suggestions for places to shoot let me know.

danlindberg

Lens choice is so personal that it is impossible to advice, but ofcourse interesting to see what others have.
You can see in the byline what I have choosen in combination with a 60mp sensor. Very happy with this and I get consistent and high quality results.

IF I had an IQ 180 and started from scratch and could choose freely, my choice would look somewhat different: HR32 + SK 60 + SK 120

Dogs857

Quick question for Alpa users.

Is the 55mm Rodie available in Alpa mount?? I can't find it on their website.

rupho

For a 3 lens set up on an IQ180 I would choose the 40HR, 70HR and 120XL. Later on you can extend on the wider spectrum with either a 28 or 23/ 32HR combo.
That's at least what I have ended up doing: 23HR, 32HR, 40HR, 70HR and 120XL. But I don't shoot landscapes and my take is the 23 is way too wide for that task.
Another nice somewhat more future proof final 3 lens set up with less need to buy an extra 4th lens would be: 32HR, 60XL and 120XL that covers a lot of territory. Just do yourself one favor ,stay away from Schneiders for anything wide including the 43XL ( assuming your getting the IQ180) just my2 cents.

GrahamWelland

I agree with rupho. 40/70/120 is a great combo. I personally love my 23HR because I can shoot ultra wide and it is so incredibly sharp that I can crop any smaller format, including great panos, from it. However, it certainly is wiiiiiidddddde compared to the 28 or 32/35.

For iq180 I'd definitely go Rodie if possible. Schneiders are great and I love mine but they were a factor in me personally going to the IQ160 vs IQ180. The extra cost of changing great glass on the IQ160 to new glass on the IQ180 was prohibitive.

Last edited:

Dogs857

Thanks everyone for your advice on this.

I think I was on the right track in the first place ,40-70-120 seems right. As with most large purchases I may be over complicating things worrying that I am making a bad choice. I can always add more later if I want, that's how the inferno works after all :LOL:

Now I just need to choose a body. That's a whole different ballgame though and after reading Dougs Tech Cam Overview thread I am not going to start that one up :) I have my pro's and con's list for each make based on how I perceive them and will get a hands on soon to make up my mind.

Thanks again, this is a great forum and I have gotten a lot of good advice both through this thread and PM's. So very glad I joined up and asked questions.

alajuela

Thanks Graham that is a very generous offer.

Unfortunately I fly to the US on the 02nd June for an extended trip. All month in fact so I will miss you completely. I have booked in with a couple of dealers in the US to demo Cambo Arca and Alpa whilst I am there.

Have fun in Sydney, have you been there before?? If you would like some suggestions for places to shoot let me know.
Hi

I would suggest you check with Dave at Capture Integration Capture Integration | Home - Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment :: Capture Integration --They set me up with the Cambo AE with the 40 and 70 Rodie T/S, from there went to the Rodie 28 non T/S with CF --then the Schneider 120 T/S.
They wont sell you anything you do not need.

Best

Phil

I use 32HR, 50HR, 90HR and am very happy with these 3 lenses. Probably the best 3 lenses as far as sharpness from Rodenstock. You are going to be shooting a IQ180, so it is probably best to stick with Rodi. I have used the Schneider 120 Asph and I found it lacked sharpness and contrast in comparison to my 90HR. But it does have a very natural look.