The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long Exposure with SWA

paul25

I have never done any long exposure photography, not even with 35mm camera.
I really like to learn it since I now have Alpa SWA and P25+.
I have bought Feisol 3441S, and RRS BH-40 with pano clamp.

Is there a shutter release cable to hold the lens' shutter open for long exposure?

Also, it it necessary to have 10 stop ND filter for doing long exposure during bright daytime?

I'd appreciate if someone can give a link to learn about the long exposure on Alpa with DB....

I'm sorry for newbie questions...

Shashin

It depends how long? It is not that hard to figure out how long your exposures would be as every stop doubles it. At f/16:

0 stop 1/100 at ISO 100
1 stop 1/50
2 stop 1/30
2 stop 1/15
3 stop 1/8
4 stop 1/4
5 stop 1/2
6 stop 1
7 stop 2
8 stop 4
9 stop 8
10 stop 16

Actually, I would recommend the Hoya NX400 9-stop ND filter. It is actually possible to compose through it. The IR contamination is not bad. Most of my exposures are in the 10 sec to 30 sec range which is long enough. And it is not expensive.

Or look at stacking ND filters. The Tiffen IRND series is good for that. They also are good to prevent IR contamination.

Last edited:

paul25

Thank you for the kind input...

In order for me to have... Let say.... 2 minute exposure...,
Don't I need a shutter release cable connected to the lens' shutter?
So I can press it for 2 minutes...

Shashin

You are definitely going to need a cable release. You will want to set your shutter to T where you press once to start the exposure and press again to end it.

GregMO

Is there a shutter release cable to hold the lens' shutter open for long exposure?

Also, it it necessary to have 10 stop ND filter for doing long exposure during bright daytime?

I'd appreciate if someone can give a link to learn about the long exposure on Alpa with DB....

I like the Linhof cable releases. They are a little more expensive then some other brands, but very smooth & the twist lock works well & doesn't slip. The ND filter(s) required will really depend on how long you want to run your shutter speed for the specific shot. I have 2 stop & 10 stop filters and sometimes stack both of them together. You can also play with your F stop get to the time needed.

paul25

Awesome....
Thank you for the Infos....

So, basically I don't have to set anything on the camera or on the digital back when doing long exposure... Right?

Set the lens for f/11 or f/16
Cock the lens
Wake up the DB
Press the shutter release for whatever the time I want....

Basically, that is it...?

GregMO

Awesome....

So, basically I don't have to set anything on the camera or on the digital back when doing long exposure... Right?

Cock the lens
Wake up the DB

I shoot with film, so I don't know the specifics for using a digital back. Meter your scene to expose for the desired subjects/ shadows/ highlights. Choose your F stop based on the dept of field needed. Then calculate the desired shutter speed to create you image. You can adjust the F stop some to change your exposure time. If f16 doesn't give you enough time, try f22.
Bring a watch or use a timer phone app.

Shashin

Awesome....

Cock the lens
Wake up the DB

It is just a little trial and error. Take an image and see the result. If it is not right, repeat.

Ken_R

Hi, copal shutters have a T setting next down from B. You press the shutter once to open it and then once more to close it whenever you want to end the exposure. I dont think there is a limit.

I dont use a 10 stop filter anymore but generally with it I got about 30 sec exposures, iso 100, f16 in full sunlight with a bright scene. I get a lot more versatility by having a 4 stop and a 6 stop or 2 4 stop.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No limit on T settings. Its opened as long as you keep it there. I would not store lens like that though.

Im with you on the 4 or 6 stop ND filters as well. Sometimes 10 stops is just to long and not needed.

stephengilbert

I thought I'd read somewhere that Copals should be stored set at T. A Google search shows that there's some disagreement, but it seems at least that shutters should be stored uncocked. One poster pointed out that new Copals come from the factory uncocked and set at T. A repair guy says this:

Q What's the best way to store a shutter?

A Keep it in a dry area (off the floor if it's cement, like in a garage). Best to set the speed dial on "T" or "B" and uncocked so there is no tension on the springs.

To keep the shutter in shape, you should take it out and exercise it at least once a month, running through once at each speed, and at least 10 times at the lower speeds, to get that slow gear governor moving. Even if you're too busy or have too many shutters... get them out once in a while throughout the year and exercise them or they'll become sluggish over time.

F L U T O T ' S    Helpful Tips

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When it comes to long exposure it really depends on what you are looking to achieve. I do this pretty regularly and in fact the primary reason for my having the P25+ is for this exact type of shooting since it isn't limited to a short maximum exposure, unlike my IQ160.

As mentioned, you want to use the T setting on your copal shutter. Any shutter release cable will work although if you are triggering your P25+ you'll either have something like a dedicated pre-trigger cable or a KG One Shot (or Alpa release).

For daytime shooting where I want to create some movement in the sky & make moving water really silky smooth I'll shoot for 1 - 10 minutes. These time frames will blur things like any traffic too but you can experiment to get the moving cloud look you're after. I tend to bracket, although using the exposure duration and filtration to get the look that I want. Once you get to 30-60 minutes you'll be making people and moving objects completely disappear in even busy urban environments.

I use either LEE filters (10 stop big stopper & 3 stop pro glass ND with IR block) or Tiffen IRND filters - 6 & 7 stop in 77/82mm or a combo with a B+W 10 stop ND.

The main things to watch out for light leaks/glare with the filters and heat build up/noise with the P25+.

If you use an iPhone then you might find a little free app called LongTime useful. I typically shoot a normal shot of my scene using the Alpa to establish the base exposure and then either use LongTime to tell me easily the amount of filtration needed for a certain exposure length or alternatively the total exposure needed for a particular filter amount. It's a lot easier than doubling exposures etc in your head (not that this is exactly hard either!).

This might be helpful regarding filters:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/442289-post9707.html

Also, if you're shooting very long exposures you'll get through batteries. For night work I use a Canon CH-910 battery pack:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...-kit-star-trail-photography-2.html#post482193

Last edited:

Sunchai

May I add, it is the multi switch cable.
the white button just for wake up the digital back and
the black button is use for multiple exposure.(two or more image in one single frame)
Sunchai

Sunchai

RB camera with RB shift adapter + 90mm RB lens capture on Phase One P20 with the multi switch cable. exposure at f8 1/250. It was 3 exposures, 2 exposures at the first position and 1 exposure at the second position