The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 Lenses on Leica S

peterv

No, the 35 mm will stay 35 mm. It will be less wide than on the C645 because that camera uses the entire image circle of this lens. On the S the 35 mm will be a 28 mm eq. (In 135, so called FF terms)

thomas

No, the 35 mm will stay 35 mm. It will be less wide than on the C645 because that camera uses the entire image circle of this lens. On the S the 35 mm will be a 28 mm eq. (In 135, so called FF terms)
exactly.
On the long side of the sensor it will be pretty much the same field of view as on a 1.3-cropped MF sensor (P30, P40 etc.).

My reading of Marc's post is he has been referring to the 3.5/35mm in general... regardless of the particular sensor size.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Corners should be very good most likely with any lens as it was for me with my P40plus even with the phase 28mm which is known for soft corners on a FF sensor.

Guy Mancuso

Now given these adapters are not exactly cheap, a person maybe only able to get one system. Hassy has a 28mm , Contax widest is the 35. Might be a little hard to decide this going in without any lenses in hand already in your stash.

V

Vivek

Awesome!

May be there will be some aftermarket knock offs coming soon. They aren't difficult to replicate. Afterall, Leica themselves are now into this hackery business.

fotografz

Now given these adapters are not exactly cheap, a person maybe only able to get one system. Hassy has a 28mm , Contax widest is the 35. Might be a little hard to decide this going in without any lenses in hand already in your stash.
FYI, Hasselblad's widest lens is a HCD 24mm.

- Marc

monza

Been working on an S2 deal since Leica started selling some of their demo stock in early April. Last week, my client said "wouldn't it be great if they came out with a Contax 645 adapter?" We both chuckled a little bit, and then moved on to the next subject.

He bought Leica's last S2 demo yesterday, about two hours after the Contax announcement. :)

Paul Spinnler

Oh, didnt know they need the right to. Isnt reverse engineering allowed? Did Hasselblad give them the permission to create an adapter. I doubt it, because what would be the business sense behind that? On the other hand, looking at their recent developments - i.e. Lunar, V, H5D "improvements" - such a management move could possibly fit the picture!

A Leica S2 that accepts all kinds of lenses would be genius. Now they just need to add a:

- Canon EF adapter (17 TSE, 85 1.2)

and a

- Phase One AF (get those P1 fashion photogs, and adventurers who care about handling/weather sealing/ simplicity)

Now that would make the S2 seriously interesting! The German Army Knife of MF!

Shashin

I think you will find the flange distance would be too short to put a Contax adapter to a Phase camera.

I think the biggest hurdle for the S is the price. It would be a really expensive Swiss army knife. It would also need to be a more flexible system than just to take old medium-format optics.

Paul Spinnler

I never understood why they priced the S2 so highly. Ok, its Leica, they dont sell for cheap. But I think at a price point of say 12.9k USD for the body they would sell a lot more lenses - isnt this were the money lies?

Guy Mancuso

If they had the body at around 15k it might have wrote its own ticket. Higher than the Pentax by 5k at the time and lower than the Phase P40+ DF say around 5k lower. At least at release time four years ago. My feeling the real money is in the glass for profit.

Shashin

I never understood why they priced the S2 so highly. Ok, its Leica, they dont sell for cheap. But I think at a price point of say 12.9k USD for the body they would sell a lot more lenses - isnt this were the money lies?
They ain't sellin lenses if everyone starts buying old Contax, Hasslblad, or Pentax optics. The price is what it is. Leica feels that that is what it should be to be profitable--I have no data to doubt them. Although the adapter releases seems to indicate that the S line sales are weak and folks have not been happy about the lens line for one reason or another.

Guy Mancuso

Yea dont get me wrong the lenses are very nice but at 6k that puts a big dent in buying for normal budgets thats 24k just for 4 lenses as a good basic kit. Right there would slow down sales. It still interests me but the pricing has put me off for 4 years now.