The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 Lenses on Leica S

ondebanks

This might be slightly off-topic, but if you are looking into a ~300mm lens, the Pentax 67 300mm f4 EDIF is absolutely first rate (one of the last lenses made for the system - not to be confused with the much older 300mm f4 non-EDIF). I expect dumb adaptors can be found to allow its usage on the bodies being discussed here and I can honestly state that it would be worth it.

Ed
I've seen fantastic shots with the 300/4 EDIF, but as long as we're talking manual focus and dumb adapters, the Mamiya 300/2.8 APO would be my pick for a fast longer APO tele on the S2.

Ray

T.Karma

Hope these thoughts are useful

Regards
Victor
Yes, they are. Thank you. Selling all Contax gear (and you had lots of it) and then buying back into it, after trying else is a proof that you know the value of it.

May I ask what 60MP back you got and why?

greetings

peterv

I practically peed my pants when I saw this, because Marc's photos made with this lens have a luscious richness of detail and tonality that comes through even in a web-sized jpg. And the 1.4x mutar and extension tubes work too! I need to do a kickstarter.
Marc, Doug, any chance we could get a link to these images? I'd very much like to them, thanks.

fotografz

Thanks Victor.

I totally agree that the Contax 645 was/is pretty travel friendly. I used to remove the prism and pack it all in a small travel case with the 45, 80 and 140 lenses and just go.

What I like about the S camera is the weather sealed body and lenses, the fact that it shoots to two cards (although I hope they eventually allow RAW to be shot to both), the incredible life of the battery compared to anything else out there including most 35mm DSLRs, and the dual shutter even when just using the Leica SF58 speed-light outdoors for fill flash @ up to 1/1000 sync speed to eliminate blown backgrounds (leaf shutters aren't just useful with studio strobes).

Not sure when you last shot with the S, but more recent firmware updates have improved the AF accuracy and to some degree the speed ... at least from my experience shooting a ton of fast paced weddings with it so far.

All-in-all, this S system is turning out to have been a relatively good decision ... and it'll be interesting to see where the sensor goes next ... would not surprise me if the next S went to 50 or 60 meg ... and maybe, just maybe, Leica will implement a CMOS sensor option after they learn and grow from their M240 experiences and relationship with their sensor maker. In either case, the S lenses are ready, willing and able ... and in my case already paid for ... with cash and a few base-ball bat lumps on the noggin that have since healed, even if my bank account hasn't. :ROTFL:

In general, a S/S2 with a 70mm CS lens or a Hassey HC/100/2.2 will suffice for most flash oriented people work, fleshed out with a few of the nice Contax lenses for focal plane, available light stuff. Nice kit.

- Marc

fotografz

Marc do you still have your Sony DSLR and if so when do you reach for it instead of the S2?
Yes, I do still have a A900 and A99.

In fact, I just shot a wedding on Saturday with the S2 and 3 CS lenses, the A900 and Zeiss 24-70 zoom, and a Leica M Monochromatic with a M50/0.95 and M75/2 AA.

Of 688 total, and 529 images after 1st culling, there are 201 A900 shots, 172 S2s, and 156 MMs. My goal is to present about 250 final images to the client ... and expect the S2 images to outnumber the A900s when done.

The S2 and MM are the most used kit I have because I mainly shoot people and candid photography. The S2 and Leaf shutter lenses for anything to do with commercial work involving lighting in studio or out, but also for ambient portraits, groups, environment portraits, and travel/holiday. When the light goes low the MM and Noctilux come out like a light sucking vampire ;) I could not believe the lack of ambient light I was able to shoot in with the MM at this wedding ... the camera still amazes me.

About the only time I use the Sony stuff now is for quick grab stuff and mostly for weddings ... which I'm basically quitting as of my June 21st wedding gig. I'll then only take select weddings from now on.

The AF speed and flash system of the Sony is faster for a lot of general applications ... like shooting the wedding party walking down the aisle and dancing at the reception sort of stuff ... I could probably do it with the S2, but why? The Sony is easier and is surer for such work.

Plus, the A900/99 can act as a back-up for the S2. I don't shoot anything for pay without a back-up, and a back-up to the back-up. :)

No doubt, the S2 has taken over the MF area of my stuff, and has taken over a lot of the 35mm DSLR areas also. It's my most applied camera now. I probably could dump all the Sony A lenses except the 24-70 and 16-35 zooms.

- Marc

Paul Spinnler

What would be an absolute best-of-all-worlds system in terms of optical quality in the context of the Leica S2 system flexibility?

Any suggestions? - No compromises in quality!

My understanding so far:

Wides:

1. Hasselblad 28mm (exceptional wide-angle in my experience, far better than Phase One
2. Leica 30mm
3. Contax 35mm

Medium-wide:

suggestions?

Standard:

Leica 70mm (overall optical excellence)
Contax 80mm (for character)

Portrait:

Leica 120mm Summarit (optical perfection)

Tele:

Leica 180mm
suggestions?

RVB

What would be an absolute best-of-all-worlds system in terms of optical quality in the context of the Leica S2 system flexibility?

Any suggestions? - No compromises in quality!

My understanding so far:

Wides:

1. Hasselblad 28mm (exceptional wide-angle in my experience, far better than Phase One
2. Leica 30mm
3. Contax 35mm

Medium-wide:

suggestions?

Standard:

Leica 70mm (overall optical excellence)
Contax 80mm (for character)

Portrait:

Leica 120mm Summarit (optical perfection)

Tele:

Leica 180mm
suggestions?
Regarding the HCD-28 you wont get a 28mm FOV on the S but you do have leaf shutters as standard and its a very good lense,the S30mm will be wider on the S and is exceptional.the S24mm has no CS version,only FP shutters..

Rob

lowep

Yes, I do still have a A900 and A99.

In fact, I just shot a wedding on Saturday with the S2 and 3 CS lenses, the A900 and Zeiss 24-70 zoom, and a Leica M Monochromatic with a M50/0.95 and M75/2 AA.

Of 688 total, and 529 images after 1st culling, there are 201 A900 shots, 172 S2s, and 156 MMs. My goal is to present about 250 final images to the client ... and expect the S2 images to outnumber the A900s when done.

The S2 and MM are the most used kit I have because I mainly shoot people and candid photography. The S2 and Leaf shutter lenses for anything to do with commercial work involving lighting in studio or out, but also for ambient portraits, groups, environment portraits, and travel/holiday. When the light goes low the MM and Noctilux come out like a light sucking vampire ;) I could not believe the lack of ambient light I was able to shoot in with the MM at this wedding ... the camera still amazes me.

About the only time I use the Sony stuff now is for quick grab stuff and mostly for weddings ... which I'm basically quitting as of my June 21st wedding gig. I'll then only take select weddings from now on.

The AF speed and flash system of the Sony is faster for a lot of general applications ... like shooting the wedding party walking down the aisle and dancing at the reception sort of stuff ... I could probably do it with the S2, but why? The Sony is easier and is surer for such work.

Plus, the A900/99 can act as a back-up for the S2. I don't shoot anything for pay without a back-up, and a back-up to the back-up. :)

No doubt, the S2 has taken over the MF area of my stuff, and has taken over a lot of the 35mm DSLR areas also. It's my most applied camera now. I probably could dump all the Sony A lenses except the 24-70 and 16-35 zooms.

- Marc
So A900 "point and shoot", MM for hocus pocus and Leica S "DSLR/MF" for everything else. Thanks for this thought provoking food for thought. Do you never miss the IQ, weight or sluggish performance of MFDB?

baudolino

Contax 3.5/55
Great compact travel lens, no compromise in image quality, just not very fast (only f3.5). The "unsung hero" of the Contax 645 system. But the new HC50-II is supposed to be fantastic (and has the leaf shutter, of course).

As for the choice of the Contax 35 mm lens in the above "best of" list - following the brief of "no compromise in image quality", why do you think the Contax lens is better than the Leica S-35? I have fond memories of the Contax 35 lens, shot on the C645 with a digital back (low distortion and vignetting, sharp into the corners when stopped down a bit), but I now use the Leica S-35 on the S2 (and love it...). Presumably the Leica version (being a newer lens, designed for digital) should be better? It would be interesting to compare the two.

rsmphoto

Yea dont get me wrong the lenses are very nice but at 6k that puts a big dent in buying for normal budgets thats 24k just for 4 lenses as a good basic kit. Right there would slow down sales. It still interests me but the pricing has put me off for 4 years now.
Guy,

I looked at it another way while just recently purchasing a demo 30-90 Vario-Elmar S (which has seriously impressive MTF's). Because I never shoot wide open with the S2 (strictly ƒ8-11), for me and what I do, no real need for 28HCD, 35HC, 50HC, 80HC or 50-100HC. Will use 24 HCD with HTS and H to S adapter. For any wide open work I head for the M9.

I agree with Marc on the battery life - blows away anything else - in cold too. Excellent rapid charger.

Richard

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Yes, they are. Thank you. Selling all Contax gear (and you had lots of it) and then buying back into it, after trying else is a proof that you know the value of it.

May I ask what 60MP back you got and why?

greetings
Having looked at Leaf some years ago, and also recently reviewing pix from 'fat pixel' P25 and even hasselblad 16 and 39 MP, I decided to go back to what I knew; the P65+ I had this since it first came out and used on both Contax and ALPA, and it di great. Little need for LCC without motions on the 35mm SK and 47mm lenses (never tried the wider ones)

So, just a comfort zone. The leaf Sinar and Hassey backs with fewer MP were 'interesting' for the color saturation,but I nfound the P65+ files really flexible in C1.

I really couldn't see a big difference between Kodak and Dalsa as some have, and the S2 images from the 70mm were similar, well within what C1 adjustments could do.

So, really a simple decision; oh, and did I mention I got a great deal on a factory reburbished P65+ cONTAX MOUNT (looked almost new) from Lance at DT. LOL

Regards
Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Thanks Victor.

I totally agree that the Contax 645 was/is pretty travel friendly. I used to remove the prism and pack it all in a small travel case with the 45, 80 and 140 lenses and just go.

What I like about the S camera is the weather sealed body and lenses, the fact that it shoots to two cards (although I hope they eventually allow RAW to be shot to both), the incredible life of the battery compared to anything else out there including most 35mm DSLRs, and the dual shutter even when just using the Leica SF58 speed-light outdoors for fill flash @ up to 1/1000 sync speed to eliminate blown backgrounds (leaf shutters aren't just useful with studio strobes).

Not sure when you last shot with the S, but more recent firmware updates have improved the AF accuracy and to some degree the speed ... at least from my experience shooting a ton of fast paced weddings with it so far.

All-in-all, this S system is turning out to have been a relatively good decision ... and it'll be interesting to see where the sensor goes next ... would not surprise me if the next S went to 50 or 60 meg ... and maybe, just maybe, Leica will implement a CMOS sensor option after they learn and grow from their M240 experiences and relationship with their sensor maker. In either case, the S lenses are ready, willing and able ... and in my case already paid for ... with cash and a few base-ball bat lumps on the noggin that have since healed, even if my bank account hasn't. :ROTFL:

In general, a S/S2 with a 70mm CS lens or a Hassey HC/100/2.2 will suffice for most flash oriented people work, fleshed out with a few of the nice Contax lenses for focal plane, available light stuff. Nice kit.

- Marc
Dear Marc

You comments on the S2 keep it in play, and it was down to an $11,000 used S2 and a P65+ at 16k. So I opted for the Contax and have the ALPA option back again. That and a bunch of (cheap??) lenses from Adorama (BEFORE the adapter announcement :ROTFL: ) got me back in the game.

I will likely get an S2 in the next year or so, esp since I can use so many lenses. I made the "everything goes and I buy back only what I use" decision. Really helps mental health! I was going crazy deciding "should I really sell this?" while I had a whole ROOM full of jun...stuff I mean :D

Plus it's good to recalibrate; for me, to drop the gear game and focus on image making. 2 cameras and 6 lenses is where I am (3 each for Contax and M9...yes, I am temporarily passing on the 240)

Please keep up your sharing of experience with the S2. The AF was better last year than 2 years ago (I had a P loaner) and yet I really think center zone focus is critical for a lot of my image making (I lose 1/2 my shots to AF, so I just gave up and went back to manual, exp with the Contax)

best regards,

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Contax 3.5/55
I tend a bit wider and like the 45mm. I found the 55mm a bit softer but better for group shots (I did a calendar once with Aboud's help and we used the 55mm. Was good, but not great and not as flexible as the 45mm)

At 2.8 the 45mm is the smallest medium wide going AF MF. Also more difference from the 80mm

regards
Victor

Stuart Richardson

I think the adapter solution that Leica is offering is great for attracting people to the system, particularly with respect to the Contax and Hasselblad H series adapters. I own the V adapter, but I have found myself only using the Hasselblad lenses where I do not have a Leica option. I think Leica has the right idea, because they really don't have anything to fear from the other manufacturer's lenses, at least in most cases -- there are definitely some gems out there for other platforms, as well as lenses for which Leica has no analog, but where Leica has a lens, I doubt most people would pick the non-Leica lens if cost were taken out of the equation...not just for optical reasons, but for the advantage of having a fully integrated, weather sealed AF/auto-aperture lens. People who can afford to will likely migrate towards Leica lenses over time, and even if they don't, they will have sold a few extra bodies and some expensive adapters!

I have the 35, 70 and 120 lenses at the moment. I originally had just the 35 and 120 and wanted to use the V system adapter to give me access to the 50mm and 80mm focal lengths. In the end, I bought the 70mm because I was not impressed with the 80mm CFE's performance in comparison to the S lenses. Once you start using them, it is hard to go back! I was shocked that the performance of the S 120 was better at f/2.5 than my 110/2 FE at f/5.6 or f/8...the 110/2 had been (and remains) one of my favorite lenses for its look and performance, but the 120 S lens simply obliterates it in terms of performance. Not just resolution across the frame, but in vignetting, microcontrast, macrocontrast, color fidelity, distortion and color aberrations. When you add in the fact that it is autofocus, auto aperture and weather sealed, it is a no-brainer. My 110/2 sticks to the 203FE and film! Admittedly, this is comparing the best S lens against a thirty year old high speed design...it's not a fair fight.
If I was entering the S system without a large existing lens base, I would save the cost of the adapter and put it towards a balanced S lens lineup. If you can afford the body, you can probably afford 2-3 lenses as well...in my opinion you are missing a lot of the advantage of the S system if you sully it (joking!) with third party lenses...
In the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, at the moment I am thinking of selling my 180/4 and 250/4 Hasselblad lenses along with some other underused gear and springing for the 180/3.5. I rarely use these two with the adapter, and I would rather have one S lens than two V lenses and an adapter...

but if you are listening Leica, PLEASE FILL THE GAP BETWEEN THE 35 AND 70! You have three super wides, a tilt shift and a 11 thousand dollar zoom, but you don't even have a humble 35-40mm equivalent lens. I would gladly sell or trade the 35mm for a nice moderate wide angle. Even better if it is faster, like a 45mm f/1.4, 1.8 or f/2....solve my low light and wide angle problems in one go please!

fotografz

I think the adapter solution that Leica is offering is great for attracting people to the system, particularly with respect to the Contax and Hasselblad H series adapters. I own the V adapter, but I have found myself only using the Hasselblad lenses where I do not have a Leica option. I think Leica has the right idea, because they really don't have anything to fear from the other manufacturer's lenses, at least in most cases -- there are definitely some gems out there for other platforms, as well as lenses for which Leica has no analog, but where Leica has a lens, I doubt most people would pick the non-Leica lens if cost were taken out of the equation...not just for optical reasons, but for the advantage of having a fully integrated, weather sealed AF/auto-aperture lens. People who can afford to will likely migrate towards Leica lenses over time, and even if they don't, they will have sold a few extra bodies and some expensive adapters!

I have the 35, 70 and 120 lenses at the moment. I originally had just the 35 and 120 and wanted to use the V system adapter to give me access to the 50mm and 80mm focal lengths. In the end, I bought the 70mm because I was not impressed with the 80mm CFE's performance in comparison to the S lenses. Once you start using them, it is hard to go back! I was shocked that the performance of the S 120 was better at f/2.5 than my 110/2 FE at f/5.6 or f/8...the 110/2 had been (and remains) one of my favorite lenses for its look and performance, but the 120 S lens simply obliterates it in terms of performance. Not just resolution across the frame, but in vignetting, microcontrast, macrocontrast, color fidelity, distortion and color aberrations. When you add in the fact that it is autofocus, auto aperture and weather sealed, it is a no-brainer. My 110/2 sticks to the 203FE and film! Admittedly, this is comparing the best S lens against a thirty year old high speed design...it's not a fair fight.
If I was entering the S system without a large existing lens base, I would save the cost of the adapter and put it towards a balanced S lens lineup. If you can afford the body, you can probably afford 2-3 lenses as well...in my opinion you are missing a lot of the advantage of the S system if you sully it (joking!) with third party lenses...
In the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, at the moment I am thinking of selling my 180/4 and 250/4 Hasselblad lenses along with some other underused gear and springing for the 180/3.5. I rarely use these two with the adapter, and I would rather have one S lens than two V lenses and an adapter...

but if you are listening Leica, PLEASE FILL THE GAP BETWEEN THE 35 AND 70! You have three super wides, a tilt shift and a 11 thousand dollar zoom, but you don't even have a humble 35-40mm equivalent lens. I would gladly sell or trade the 35mm for a nice moderate wide angle. Even better if it is faster, like a 45mm f/1.4, 1.8 or f/2....solve my low light and wide angle problems in one go please!
+1 on a S-50mm f/2 or f/1.8 ... it would be a dream come true! I sold my Hasselblad HC50/3.5-II and already miss the focal length.

- Marc

Paul Spinnler

Let's all make a petition towards phase one. I would love to be able to use Leica S lenses on a phase body! Even if it means cropping the image. Does anybody know someone from phase that could transmit that to some decision-makers?

Wouldnt it be great if one could add some selected Leica lenses to their Phase One system? That way one has the best of all worlds: high resolution when needed, access to perfect optics (120mm Leica), access to Alpa for wide-angle situations and FPS ... that would be great! I mean primarily they are a digital back company and right now they have no problem with making backs that are even compatible with other systems. So why not create a leica AF capable adapter. they could sell it for 2k as well!