The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 Lenses on Leica S

menos

Thanks for the clarification on the profiles Marc.
I would be very curious about profiles for the Contax lenses, especially the 140 and 210mm Sonnar lenses.

I was referring to the lens correction module in Lightroom - it is a quick fix to create a development profile for each lens at a certain critical setting, if necessary, as long, as there are no profiles provided.

hanny catania

Hello to all. I bought an adapter for C contax zeiss optics for leica s2, and I had same problem some of you. If the machine is turned off or goes into sleeping does not recognize the lens and does not work. You have to rotate (remove and replace) a little adapter ring and everything falls into place. Does anyone know how to fix it? Leica has managed to get on top of it? Thanks to all of you. The firmware of the machine is 1.3.0.0. and of the ring 135.5.0.0.

Last edited:

Sharokin

I would love to see a comparison of a Contax 80F/2, Leica 70F/2.5, Hassy 100F2.2, and the Zeiss 110F/2 on an S2
Anyone?

peterv

Hello to all. I bought an adapter for C contax zeiss optics for leica s2, and I had same problem some of you. If the machine is turned off or goes into sleeping does not recognize the lens and does not work. You have to rotate (remove and replace) a little adapter ring and everything falls into place. Does anyone know how to fix it? Leica has managed to get on top of it? Thanks to all of you. The firmware of the machine is 1.3.0.0. and of the ring 135.5.0.0.
Hi Hanny,

I briefly had an adapter last summer, but unfortunately had the problems you mentioned. Besides, the fit was very tight and stiff. It wasn't easy to attach to the camera, so I got a refund and haven't really looked at this since then.

I know of one high profile photographer who got the adapter a few months ago and uses it without any problem. So I guess it depends, some adapters seem to work OK, some not. I suppose if one is - with the help of a dealer - persistent to find one in good working order, it can be done.

Succes and please keep us posted.

arionelli

I'd also like to know the state of the nation regarding the full fledged workings of the Leica S C adaptor, its existence now making the S2 one of my considerations since I have held onto a few bits of C645 glass...not bottom rung mfd, not top tier, but good enough IQ, easy useability, enough versatility for my needs and reportedly (since I haven't had the tactile experience) big, bright viewer.

Would be reassuring if someone from the Leica camp could tell us that they have actually resolved these hiccoughs nine months on.

fotografz

I would love to see a comparison of a Contax 80F/2, Leica 70F/2.5, Hassy 100F2.2, and the Zeiss 110F/2 on an S2
Anyone?
Send me the Contax to S adapter and C80/2, Hassey V to S adapter and FE110/2 … and I'll test them apples-to-apples against the S70/2.5 and Hasselblad HC100/2.2 with H to S adapter I already have.

Can't promise with certainty that I'll return them :D

- Marc

Stuart Richardson

Well, I have the V to S adapter, and I compared the 80mm Planar to the 70mm S (also the 30-90 zoom at 80mm), as well as the 110mm f/2 FE to the 120mm S. The S lenses were significantly better in all cases. They were so much better, in fact, that I somewhat regret purchasing the adapter, as I have wound up purchasing the S lenses in those focal lengths anyway...I bought it mainly to use for the longer end...180mm, 250mm FE and 350mm FE. What I found was that the 350mm is basically unusable on the S...vibration is rampant without mirror pre-release, even with a good tripod. It just gives me terrible results...it could be the lens, but it seemed just ok on film. The 250mm is better, and is ok stopped down, but it (along with all the Hasselblad lenses actually) have a fuzzyness to them that the S lenses don't. Part of this is the much higher contrast of the S lenses, but part of it is aberrations in the V lenses. Technology has come a long way since they were designed, and Leica set their mind towards building the best lenses, cost no object...they achieved it, but the cost is breathtaking!

I thought I would use all my Hasselblad lenses and use the S lenses in my more common focal lengths, but once you use the S lenses, it is hard to accept anything else.

fotografz

Well, I have the V to S adapter, and I compared the 80mm Planar to the 70mm S (also the 30-90 zoom at 80mm), as well as the 110mm f/2 FE to the 120mm S. The S lenses were significantly better in all cases. They were so much better, in fact, that I somewhat regret purchasing the adapter, as I have wound up purchasing the S lenses in those focal lengths anyway...I bought it mainly to use for the longer end...180mm, 250mm FE and 350mm FE. What I found was that the 350mm is basically unusable on the S...vibration is rampant without mirror pre-release, even with a good tripod. It just gives me terrible results...it could be the lens, but it seemed just ok on film. The 250mm is better, and is ok stopped down, but it (along with all the Hasselblad lenses actually) have a fuzzyness to them that the S lenses don't. Part of this is the much higher contrast of the S lenses, but part of it is aberrations in the V lenses. Technology has come a long way since they were designed, and Leica set their mind towards building the best lenses, cost no object...they achieved it, but the cost is breathtaking!

I thought I would use all my Hasselblad lenses and use the S lenses in my more common focal lengths, but once you use the S lenses, it is hard to accept anything else.
I went through that comparison of V lenses on my H cameras Stuart. Since there wasn't anything to gain, and AF to lose, I moved on. However, having an adapter to put V lenses on the H camera helped make the transition easier over time

Then I compared the Hasselblad stuff against the S system, and the S lenses punched beyond the size of the S sensor easily matching or exceeding the larger sensor H … so I moved on. Again, the H to S adapter help make the transition less traumatic.

I think there are a few reasons to use other make lenses on the S camera … to fill in some focal length Leica doesn't make yet, or to provide some character for creative reasons.

The only H lens I kept is the HC100/2.2. Having the H to S adapter for one lens is pretty pricy, but that's the one lens I wanted to keep for it's focal length, fast aperture, and resulting character that works so well for portraits. Plus it is AF and a CS lens for use with high sped sync to 1/750.

What is amazing about the S lenses is how little effect the lens profile corrections have on most of them. In effect, less corrections means less destructive manipulation of the files.

Now I'd like to add the new CS45mm, which I suspect would become my most used lens.

- Marc

kimyeesan

The Contax 35 and 350 mm lenses are wonderful. Enclosed two links for sample pics with the 5um IQ180 back. S/S2 with its 6um crop sensor would be less demanding. The 350 pic is with Contax cam, the 35 pic with FPS and about 10mm upwards shift.
35f3.5 @ f13:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u..._35f3.5atf13_IQ180-FPS-shift_Desenzano-01.jpg
350f4 @ f8:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...80/Contax645_350f4atf8_IQ180-Guangzhou-01.jpg
Chris, how long have you been testing that Contax mount for FPS???? since 2013????

chrismuc

Kim, maybe two years ago Mirex built a Contax 645 - Canon EF shift adapter (only mechanical, one has to close the aperture of the lens before by using a Contax 645 camera) for me, only recently Alpa borrowed me their Contax shift adapter for the FPS.
Actually I had the Mirex already before I bought the FPS (used it on a 5DII), I took the Mirex to Alpa and tested the combo with the Contax 645 35f3.5 lens on the FPS before I purchased the camera. The good result might have encouraged Alpa to do their own (mechanical and electronical) shift mount:)
Christoph

kimyeesan

Kim, maybe two years ago Mirex built a Contax 645 - Canon EF shift adapter (only mechanical, one has to close the aperture of the lens before by using a Contax 645 camera) for me, only recently Alpa borrowed me their Contax shift adapter for the FPS.
Actually I had the Mirex already before I bought the FPS (used it on a 5DII), I took the Mirex to Alpa and tested the combo with the Contax 645 35f3.5 lens on the FPS before I purchased the camera. The good result might have encouraged Alpa to do their own (mechanical and electronical) shift mount:)
Christoph
Nice!