The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Focusing Screen

Kjarahz

Received my 500cm and everything is in fantastic working order, but I can't use this 45 degree split grid screen. It is a Chinese knock-off, not dark but if I move around etc. even slightly I get a black spot of my hair or something reflected in the 45 degree split.

I'm use to manually focusing with my video work but this is not do able. Nothing ever pops into focus, is it just because it's a new way of working or is the screen just not for me?

The Mamiya C330 I played with had a circle in the center and that was it. I could focus with that thing in half a second it seemed. Magnifier would confirm this. That is how I can focus blindingly fast but with this 45 degree split screen I feel zero confidence shooting a roll of film, much less someone on the street passing by. Granted that's not the camera's specific purpose it's how I would like to use it a bit.

Can anyone give me some recommendations? Preferably one that isn't $300 ha. I also can't seem to find any, do they make an Acute matte like the one in the C330, just a magnified circle in the middle?

Thanks in advance, this is rather, well not upsetting but disheartening. I feel I can't shoot without resolving this.

Godfrey

The Hasselblad Acute Matte standard screen is excellent and easily findable on Ebay both used and new. The one I bought is just like brand new and cost me $70.

The Hasselblad Acute Matt with split image rangefinder screen is harder to find and more expensive. Here's one that was just listed for bidding, starting at $150:
ebay.com - hasselblad screen
It'll probably go to $250 if the seller is lucky.

A Maxwell screen is the best, but you're talking $385 there. Worth it but very expensive.

I have one of the Chinese made 45 degree screens. It's not unusable but it's not great, works best with the 45 degree prism finder.

I use the standard Acute Matte screen most of the time. It works well.

BTW, I don't recall Mamiya C330 having an AcuteMatte screen. I thought that was Hasselblad invention/branding ... ?

G

Kjarahz

Do you know about the acute matte 42165?

Also the c330 was using whichever factory screen it came with not an acute matte. It was just plain, grid I think but just a big circle in the middle.

Seems like I can find a 42165 for a little over $100. But is it a type I would like? I can't tell what the pattern is.

Kjarahz

I called the seller and it's a cross hair pattern, I'm not positive this is the best focusing screen. Seems a bit under whelming, price is acceptable though. Has anyone used this screen or one like it with success?

Or do most people just use some sort of split prism?

Godfrey

You piqued my curiosity so I hunted up a little more information.

---
There are two versions of the Hasselblad Acute Matte screens. First generatiom AM screens are 42165 with cross hairs engraved not painted and 42170 with grid and split. The 42170 is more popular and demands higher prices.

Second generation Acute Matte D screens can be identified by the two cut outs in the metal frame.
Part numbers are: 42204 for the one with cross hairs, 42215 split with a circle of microprisms and 42217 for the AM with grid and split.

The Acute Matte D models available from Hasselblad are still listed on their website, but whether you can order them new depends on who might still have stock:

V System Accessories

It's at least information you can use to hunt down a good screen.
---

The one I am using is a first generation Acute Matte 42165. I plan to order a Maxwell screen eventually ... they're the best.

Kjarahz

Can you comment on the 42165? How is it in terms of focusing etc.

Currently I'm looking at this:

It's the style I like but NOT an Acute Matte. I like this style and think I could focus easier with it but naturally it won't be as bright.

What are your thoughts on the 42165? And thank you for the information as well.

Godfrey

Can't really comment on it as I've never used one like that.

The 42165 model screen is brighter and crisper than the older Hasselblad screen that was in my 500CM when I got it. I don't have difficulty focusing with it, but I've had Maxwell screens in my Rolleiflexes in the past and prefer them for their brightness and focusing crispness.

Kjarahz

Just purchased this 42250, I will report back next week.

If it's just not bright enough I will end up getting the 42165. I do hope this will be the style that works for me and will be bright enough also. The original one is quite dark and was scratched up, if it's brighter than that I will be good to go.

I suppose when it was dark it was not usable anyway since the exposure was at about 1/15th wide open. Perhaps it being bright in that instance wouldn't be the end all be all anyway.

Hoping to give good feedback next week...

med

I know I'm a little late but I thought I'd add my 2 cents...

I also come from a video background and I've been using my 500c/m with an Acute Matte D focusing screen with crosshairs for nearly 5 years from the waist. It is likely the 42165 model, I can confirm this later.

It gives sufficient pop to me, especially with the 80 2.8 to focus fairly accurately. With f4 lenses it is a bit more picky about where your eye is, but with the magnifier in place I don't find this is an issue at all.

Happy shooting!

Kjarahz

I have received the one with the magnified circle and that one seems usable, haven't used it in a real world shooting environment yet however.

I had to replace my 500cm body and got a 501C and the screen appears to be an Acute Matte with grid and 90 degree split. This is working out pretty fantastic currently still not out in the wild, just controlled so far. I can focus it pretty well and I know if focus is achieved pretty easy on people via hair lines and other features.

I think between these two screens I will retire the 45 degree Chinese knock off I have, gladly.