The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rodie vs schneider 150

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So it seems the schneider apo-digitar 150 seems to be the preferred choice from the threads I've researched here. Planning on adding a 150 to my rm3di setup, and will do some stitching so I've been considering the Rodie apo sironar digital 150 , as it has a larger image circle than the Schneider.

I have the 40 and 70 HR W, and will eventually add either a 90 or 120, but do want some extra reach or the ability to do a stitch with the longer glass.

Any thoughts appreciated.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Wayne

I think , your IQ180 outperforms the APO-SIRONAR-DIGITAL lenses by far .
Here is an excerpt from the RODENSTOCK info on APO-SIRONAR-DIGITAL lenses .

Both lens series Apo-Sironar digital and Apo-Macro-Sironar
digital (the latter is optimized for large scales) provide large
image circles for substantial camera movements with digital
scan backs and with chip backs being used in the macroscan
mode for larger formats by stitching multiple shots
made with laterally shifted back from one shot to the next.
Resolving power is designed for a pixel pitch down to 9 μm.

Isn't the pixel pitch of the IQ180 at 5,2µm ?
Unfortunately , Rodenstock has no 150mm lens in the DIGARON-W class .

Pics2

I use Apo Sironar Digital 105mm with IQ160. Despite the technical facts about IQ's outperforming this lens, the results are stunning. To me, it looks better than any MF lens I use (80mm LS and 120 macro). I guess with better resolving power the results would be even better. It's petty that Rodenstock doesn't have Digaron W lenses for anything longer than 90mm.
But, digital LF lenses are not only about resolving power. It's about apochromatic correction, too.
https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/Digitar.pdf

etrump

I wouldn't trust those specs on pixel pitch, they are worthless. Get the lens and try it.

That said, I have the Schneider 150 and it is fantastic. I can do the full 20mm shifts on my Cambo without hitting the image circle or seeing a loss in usable sharpness.

You cannot get tilt-shift on the 150N in a Cambo mount but that should not affect your arca.

gazwas

IMO the longer Apo-Sironars were never updated for a reason and I imagine the older lenses are still happy on an IQ280 today. Wide lenses are very difficult to design and build and massive improvements have been made with each new generation however, I don't think telephoto's need that much improving sharpness wise.

The Apo-Sironar 90mm has still been in use (under the renamed Apo-Digaron HR-W) up until very recently and I think that lens dates back to the nineties.