The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 500cm won't fire unless lens tweaked

Kjarahz

Got my new old 500cm sometimes when I hit the shutter release it does nothing but click. Still can see from the waste level. Have to tweak my lens and it clicks again. Blocking viewfinder image then I can take the shot.

Why?! This has taken many images away from me today so far.

Anyone have ideas?

Help! Thanks in advance!

Kjarahz

It's related to the mirror up function. It's semi arming the film back but not the body when walking around it seems.

Then they aren't in unison and I have to turn the lens to get the body where the film back is.

Any suggestions, can I disable mirror up? Seems connected to the shutter release.

schuster

Got my new old 500cm sometimes when I hit the shutter release it does nothing but click. Still can see from the waste level. Have to tweak my lens and it clicks again. Blocking viewfinder image then I can take the shot.
Describe what you do when you "tweak" the lens.

Looking through the front of the lens, can you see the shutter opening and closing or is something else clicking?

What happens if you take the film magazine off the camera and then press the shutter release?

Douglas Fairbank

Based on your description the latch on the lens that holds the loading key is not being freed and 'tweeking' the lens is just enough to trip it.
Get the lens and body checked, it should be a simple fix.

Kjarahz

Tweak, I twist the lens to the left ever slightly and the mirror locks up after.

Happens with two a12 backs. And two lenses. The pin that operates the mirror lock up seems to engage sometimes but not fully. The shutter depresses without anything happening. That's when I know it screwed up and in is in mirror lockup without me tripping it. Tweak the lens the mirror flops up can't see crap but can't take an exposure.

Hope that helps someone shed some light. Off to shoot more today right now. Will try more of the 80mm since my 150 did it a lot. Every 3-4 pictures.

I contacted David any help in the mean time would be fantastic. Huge trip in two weeks. I need a fix before then naturally.

Please disregard typos this was written on an iPhone.

johnnygoesdigital

Never take the lens off/on unless the shutter is cocked. Confirm the alignment of the lens and body is correct by looking at the pins. The MU button could be sticky, so work it up/down, and fire a few frames with no lens or film back. The camera might need a CLA and David Odess has a great reputation. Prices are such for a 500cm, that a back up camera might be a wise investment.