The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech lenses that require no color LCC on 80MPX systems

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys,

would it be possible to quickly compile a list of tech lenses that create no color shift on 80 MPX backs?

For example, does the SK60 XL create any color issues? Guy in one thread mentioned that the 60XL creates no color cast but from what I remember he used a 60MPX back?

It would be interesting to know from which focal length onwards one can shoot without having to resort to an LCC. Illumination ist not a consideration for this list!

Thank you!

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
IQ 160. I had no color shift but I did have some slight vignetting with stitching images. But you could work around it without a LCC. To be honest the 60 maybe the widest here on no LCC. Everything else regardless being a 60 or 80 mpx back needed a LCC at least from what I saw or tested.

torger

I know the SK72 (an older/classic design) require LCC correction for perfect results even on my 33 megapixel back, so sometimes even longish lenses need LCC. I think my SK90 can do without, but maybe not on a 60 or 80 megapixel back.

I use to make LCC for all shots regardless of lens as my sensor is never 100% dust free :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I take an LCC shot for all shots , no matter which lens I use .
It does not cost a penny , takes only a few seconds and if you should need it , you have it .

Paul Spinnler

Ok, thank you guys. I thought that going into normal focal lengths would alleviate the issue. I currently own the 43XL and the color cast on 80 MPX is quite strong... But an amazing lens it is!

kdphotography

Try the HR40.

Images with the IQ180 and HR40 are really nice, and without movements, there really isn't any color cast to speak of except for slight vignetting. A quick LCC addresses any color cast from movements.

Regardless, I wouldn't use a technical camera without incorporating an LCC shot. It's easy to put into the workflow and definitely worthwhile.

ken

gazwas

Images with the IQ180 and HR40 are really nice, and without movements, there really isn't any color cast to speak of except for slight vignetting.
IMO, the consensus that the RS 40HR-W doesn't need LCC unshifted is a complete myth. While it may have a weaker colour cast than the equivalent SK lens, there is still a cast there. A lot of the time it won't be noticeable in colourful images but there will be a subject that does display the colour shift and without the LCC capture it will be a PITA to remove.

I personally would recommend shooting an LCC on every capture, even unshifted on the RS 40HR-W. I've even needed an LCC on a SK 120N (8mm rise) when shooting very neutral objects and that looks as clean as a whistle normally/

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I found that an LCC helped when stitching with a 50 Cron on a Leica M9. The question is: what lenses yield tolerable results without an LCC. If I have the piece of plastic with me, I use it.

Best,

Matt

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A question ..... Any opinion on shooting stock LCCs and keeping them in the C1 library?
That depends on you and your shooting style and needs.

In my opinion if you find yourself using less than a dozen-ish combinations of lens/aperture/movement then this is a great way to go.

For instance if you're using a Cambo RC400 and only own one lens and usually shoot at f/11 or f/16 then you're looking at a handful of combinations. This is better handled (in my opinion) with a library of stock LCCs.

If you own three backs, seven lenses, and like to get the composition precisely correct in the field (i.e. you'd rather use 4mm of rise than 5mm of rise and crop) then this is not at all practical. You'd need a library of a thousand combinations; you're far better off creating them as you go.

Quick note, make sure to keep the actual raw files from which you create the LCC. Over the years they've added light fall off, dust correction, and improved color correction - as they add more LCC based features and improve the algorithms in the future you'll want the raw file to regenerate the LCCs.

gazwas

What about SK 120? Isn't this long enough so no LCC would be needed?
Any sort of shift over 5mm and you could see the combination or colour cast that was exaggerated by the fall off. This was being critical while shooting white ceramics. LCC cleaned it up nicely but its never easy shooting an LCC in the studio with flash.

thrice

A question ..... Any opinion on shooting stock LCCs and keeping them in the C1 library?

Phil
Hi Phil, it will probably depend on the lens but I have found the colour shift to vary enough at different focusing distances that creating a set of 'presets' so to speak doesn't work consistently.

Ken_R

With my IQ160 the Rodenstock 40mm HR requires LCC always. Nothing extreme, but the color casts are always there. Vignetting is present also but again, it isnt bad. I generally compose using lateral and vertical shifts so I am doing an lcc after each change in composition.

The 70mm HR does not seem to have color casts and vignetting is only an issue when I get into 20mm shifts

alajuela

Hi Phil, it will probably depend on the lens but I have found the colour shift to vary enough at different focusing distances that creating a set of 'presets' so to speak doesn't work consistently.
That depends on you and your shooting style and needs.

In my opinion if you find yourself using less than a dozen-ish combinations of lens/aperture/movement then this is a great way to go.

For instance if you're using a Cambo RC400 and only own one lens and usually shoot at f/11 or f/16 then you're looking at a handful of combinations. This is better handled (in my opinion) with a library of stock LCCs.

If you own three backs, seven lenses, and like to get the composition precisely correct in the field (i.e. you'd rather use 4mm of rise than 5mm of rise and crop) then this is not at all practical. You'd need a library of a thousand combinations; you're far better off creating them as you go.

Quick note, make sure to keep the actual raw files from which you create the LCC. Over the years they've added light fall off, dust correction, and improved color correction - as they add more LCC based features and improve the algorithms in the future you'll want the raw file to regenerate the LCCs.
Thanks guys, I think I should just maintain a discipline to always shot LCCs. Probably the best way to keep it simple.
Thanks
Phil