The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bck again… S2 or P45+?

Bruno

Yes.. I'm back again thinking about jump to MF system..

I've been seeing a lot of works, love almost all of them but.. what about the system?

is it better a Leica S2 because the lenses and the handling of the camera? or the Phase One P45+ with a 645DF camera? Weight? easy of use? viewfinder? best IQ?

What about the 70 summarit against the 80 Schneider? and the 110LS?

I opened a thread about Joey Lawrence, and today, He's surprising me with his work.

Do You think is it enough or better a Rolleiflex with 2.8F Planar?

pfff… I have my x2 for street photography but something inside me is asking for a quality jump , bigger portraits prints.. Will I need flashes and those stuff¿ I love natural light..

The other point is stay with x2 and just purchase a good Nikon D700 or 5DMKII with 85 prime for portraits.. but I love color and probably a CCD will give me better results..

Thanks!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bruno,

That's quite a wide range of equipment choices. It sounds like you need to rent or try some of these systems as they are so different. The P45+/DF vs Leica S depends on what you want to achieve and your budget. There's a huge difference between these and the D700/5DMkII at the other end of your spectrum (plus these have newer better alternatives).

Shashin

Joey's work has more to do with him than his equipment.

The S2 and the 645DF are not the same camera. If you have the money for the S2 and you need a simple line of lenses and like 3:2 ratio format, then go with the S2. I would also chose a Pentax 645D over a 645DF--the DF is really old and the S2 and 645D are simply better. I would go for the DF if I was thinking of going to a tech camera.

I would go for a D600 or D800 over the D700 or 5D mkII. I would get a 5D mkIII over the mkII. You might find a D800 a nice compromise between the X2 and MFD.

If you want to do what Joey does, then you will need flashes. If you want your own aesthetic and use natural light, then you will simply have to develop the skill--you will need to develop skills to imitate Joey, but which is better for you.

The image quality has nothing to do with CCD vs. CMOS. Both will produce great color.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Are you sure you know why you want a medium format camera and what you are looking for that a D800 can't give you? It's an important question that I have been asking myself these days. I'm getting closer to the answer now, but it has been a few months with lots of research, both with regards to gear, my needs and how to solve them.

Or you could just buy a medium format camera because it's cool. Then, I would go for the Leica, no doubt :D

Last edited:

RVB

Leica S2 gives you access to a lot of lenses via the adaptor's which seem to be very well implemented ,the S glass is also extremely good and the S body feels like a 5D in your hands and has weather sealing too....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I stepped out of MF last year after I got my D800E. This is an extremely good camera, giving you a lot of resolution if you use the right glass.

S2 and other MF still a tick better if you use it right, but for general use the D800E in combination with all the available lenses for Nikon mount is by far the more flexible solution. This in combination with the much higher price deterioration of MF was finally the most important criterium to leave MF land.

And I am HAPPY and do not look back!

gazwas

My Arca tech camera is the only thing that keeps me in MF and without it (H5D or DF+) I really don't see the point spending over and above the cost of the Nikon (or Canon when it arrives). I love the quality of my Phase back but IQ improvements have all but stalled since 2009, with only very minor improvements and until this changes IMO it best to keep the money in the bank.

The only factor would be if you had some exotic requirement for 80Mpix files and you could only use a motorised/AF MF SLR but for portraits and street photography I find that highly unlikely.

Ken_R

I jumped into medium format for several reasons:

1. Wide angle lens quality and shift tilt. my experience: the quality of the Rodenstock 40mm HR lens is stunning and I can make a lot of movements and still have high quality.
2. Technical Camera. my experience: the Arca Rm3Di is superb. All shifting movements are in the back which makes for easy stitching. The design of the body is very nice and slick which makes for a compact and elegant solution. It is a joy to work with.
3. Resolution and overall image quality. my experience: the Phase One IQ160 produces a very deep (color/dr) and high res file. It is well above any DSLR and 40mp and below backs.

[this is all for landscape and architecture]

If I was looking for a MFD camera for people and general photography I would probably consider the Leica S2 if money no object and if so then my choice would probably be the 645D.

Another choice if budget allows would be the IQ140 back with either a hasselblad or a Phase body. I really like working with my IQ back and wouldnt mind using it for other photography.

Regarding Joey Lawrence his style (regarding technical aspects) is about using studio lights outdoors and post-production.

mmbma

I would go S2. From your current equipment it sounds like you don't do pro work. A DF and p45+ only excel at certain things such as long exposure or in studio beauty/fashion if you get the white balance right. Not going to be versatile enough for you in my opinion. Also cannot take it out in a rainy day and that thing is HEAVY. I use a DF and p65. Put a long lens on that kit plus tripod nearly killed my shoulder one day. Although the lenses are cheap.

S2 is just a more integrated product. The build is much better than the DF+ in my opinion, and lt weights a lot less. Also looks badass. I'm actually thinking about trading my Phase kit for a Leica S kit. So far no Leica S owners want to give theirs up. That tells you something about the camera

V

Vivek

Yes.. I'm back again thinking about jump to MF system..

I've been seeing a lot of works, love almost all of them but.. what about the system?

is it better a Leica S2 because the lenses and the handling of the camera? or the Phase One P45+ with a 645DF camera? Weight? easy of use? viewfinder? best IQ?

What about the 70 summarit against the 80 Schneider? and the 110LS?

I opened a thread about Joey Lawrence, and today, He's surprising me with his work.

Do You think is it enough or better a Rolleiflex with 2.8F Planar?

pfff… I have my x2 for street photography but something inside me is asking for a quality jump , bigger portraits prints.. Will I need flashes and those stuff¿ I love natural light..

The other point is stay with x2 and just purchase a good Nikon D700 or 5DMKII with 85 prime for portraits.. but I love color and probably a CCD will give me better results..

Thanks!

Sony RX-1 or the rumored variation that will show up soon.

DMarc

All the above is useful advice, but the best for you is most likely to test both cameras. If they don't lend them to you, I'd recommend you rent them for a few days. That's really a big investment you are looking at ;-)

Bruno

Thank You all! I'm in Barcelona on holidays until Sunday sorry for the late reply.

I tried the S2 in the Mayfair Leica Store, on Wednesday.. Wooooow! What a camera! Excellent and big viewfinder, excellent handling, accurate autofocus, superb build quality.. And the 70 summarit is an amazing lens! As the 50 lux is.

The guy who showed me the S2 told me that I can print A0 without concerning about the quality, huge!

Do You think is important the sensor size against the Phase or Hassy?

jlm

Workshop Member
hard to take seriously the angst in choosing between a $500 Rollei and a $60k Leica S

johnnygoesdigital

If you're thinking of MFD, why include the Nikon D700 or Canon in your comments? If you just want the resolution of MFD, then get the Nikon D800 over the Leica S2 or Phase One 645DF.
The Pentax 645D, although a closed system is the better value for MFD, and shares the same exact sensor as the Hasselblad H4D 40, but is completely weather sealed.

You most certainly can create your own aesthetic with lights (is there any other way?) Get one light and portable battery and have at it!

Godfrey

I've made my deal with the gods that be.

For medium format, it's 6x6 film for me ... Hassy 500CM + 80 Planar + 150 Sonnar + SWC. Add Voigtländer Perkeo II for a portable, pocketable camera. And Nikon Super Coolscan 9000ED.

If I want to go MF digital, I'll buy an MF digital system, not adapt the V system. But I don't see that happening unless my pay grade does one of those unexpected quantum leaps upward. Then the Leica S is in my sights. It's a great fantasy.

Godfrey

Bruno

thank guys.. so My main photography will be portraits, I guess there is a huge difference between a 24x36 sensor (d800, 5D, whatever) and a S2 or P45+.. and the quality of the lenses Leica and Schneider will make another big difference! In my opinion.. I want quality and 1m wide prints.

Shashin

The difference between 35mm and the MFD you are looking at is 24x36 and 33x44 (or 29x44 for the S2). Not a huge difference. The format will have nothing to do with print size.