The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 50 shift

sergiofigliolia

Hi all,
I own this system and am shooting with the 50 shift lens.
I shoot mainly at night with lampposts within the frame.
What I noticed is the lens flares badly when shifted.
When on axis instead the lens behaves well.
Is this something others have noted?
What would be the reason for this?

Any advices for a better lens/system for night photography?
(I am thinking of pentax 67 or mamiya rz67 with 75mm shift lens or a large format)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi all,
I own this system and am shooting with the 50 shift lens.
I shoot mainly at night with lampposts within the frame.
What I noticed is the lens flares badly when shifted.
When on axis instead the lens behaves well.
Is this something others have noted?
What would be the reason for this?

Any advices for a better lens/system for night photography?
(I am thinking of pentax 67 or mamiya rz67 with 75mm shift lens or a large format)
A tech camera will provide better shift lenses than the 50 shift at the cost of not having a standard viewfinder:
Tech Camera Overview

weinlamm

Do you have a picture of you problem? I have the same lense, so perhaps I can test this, if I know, what you mean.

And the second question: which back do you have exactly? I read something about problems with the sensor-glass. See here.

gazwas

Its the nature of using a lens with large image circle that causes the problem and while Dougs recommendation is tech camera I beg to disagree and feel the problem will be the same if not worse.

Becasuse the lens accepts light from a larger area, (image circle) ofter light sources wellout of the frame can cause flare across the sensor or internal reflections in the lens. The best solution would be try to avoid bright light at the edge of the frame or use a regular lens and make any perspective corrections in post.

Pics2

Its the nature of using a lens with large image circle that causes the problem and while Dougs recommendation is tech camera I beg to disagree and feel the problem will be the same if not worse.

Becasuse the lens accepts light from a larger area, (image circle) ofter light sources wellout of the frame can cause flare across the sensor or internal reflections in the lens. The best solution would be try to avoid bright light at the edge of the frame or use a regular lens and make any perspective corrections in post.
+1
And it largely depends on the lens used. I don't do wide angle on my view cam, but I see that those Alpa wide angle lenses cost a fortune. I bet it's for a reason. I think your 50mm lens is not up to the task for newer generation backs. Or maybe you use P30+.