The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old version of Cambo Wide Compact - which back adaptor?

weinlamm

I'm interested in a tech-cam. Now I found a camera, which could be interesting for the first entry. It's the older version of the "Cambo Wide compact":

Cambo - WDC-H1 (listed under discontinued)

But I asked me, which kind of camera this is. Is this from the Wide RS-series or from the Wide DS-series?

At Cambo the lens panel is equal - but RS/DS have different back adaptors. And which one ist the older Wide compact...?

I had asked Don, who made a review here about the camera and the big WDS. But he had tested so much ( a RS-system, too ), that he didn't remember.
And the local dealers here... Forget it. They don't answer most times... :banghead:

DS:
- One of the features of RS is that they have two lever at the front; the "older Wide compact" has only one
- the back adaptor here does not look a from a RS-system... ( but actually not like a DS-system, two... :confused: )

RS:
- At Cambo-website the camera is listed as "Replaced by WRC-400" - and WRC-400 is from the RS-series.

Which is now correct? :banghead:

fotophil

I have an early model Compact Camera which was supplied with the AFD back. I looked in converting the famera to a Hassy V Back. Unlike most of the Cambo Tech Camers, the early model of the Compact Camera did not have a user changeable back. The camera was sold with either a AFD or Hassy V back. In order to change backs, the original back assembly had to disassembled by removing the factory mounting screws and SHIMS. Installation of the new back required shim adjustment so generally it was considered a factory service operation although the parts are available from Cambo.

weinlamm

Thanks for helping!

I have an early model Compact Camera
Is yours the camera from my link or is this an older analog-film-version?

But your statement could explain, why I didn't find any exact informations about a back-adaptor. :rolleyes:

fotophil

The original Cambo Wide Compact Camera was a different design than the larger (less compact?) RS and DS cameras. The original compact camera was made for a specific digital back. In your example, the WDC-H1 Compact Camera was designed for the H1 Series Hassy Back. My camera is a WDC-AFD for the Mamiya Back. These cameras do not have users interchangeable backs. The replacement Cambo Compact Camera had user interchangeable backs. From a user standpoint, the both versions of the Cambo Compact Camera have a reduced feature set over the larger technical cameras and they are less desirable for general photographic applications..

weinlamm

Ok. Thanks.

I would need the WDC-AFD, too. But I only found the WDC-H1 at any dealer. So I linked this.
But I think I understand.

I'm not really sure, if I should go to Alpa or Cambo (RS). And I thought, that the Wide Compact I found could be a help. But I think, that was a fallacy... :rolleyes:

fotophil

The Cambo Wide Compact is more limited than either the Alpa or Cambo RS. I use my Compact with a 28mm lens for hand holding applications - sort of a Cambo point & shoot. I use my RS as a tripod mounted technical camera. Two very different cameras for two different applications.

weinlamm

I know the differents ( I hope the most of them ).

I want to get a "point and shoot" and a camera for shift. And for me the older Wide Compact looks better than Alpa TC or Cambo RC-400 ( because it delievers a "flash shoe" with the camera in which you can use a finder ). So it looks not as a bad idea for me.

But we will see what Cambo wanted for a back-change. I only found versions with Hasselblad V or H.

And @fotophil:
If you wanted to sell your MAFD-version, give me a feedback... :D

fotophil

The newer version of the Cambo Compact had both an interchageable back and an improved cable release. I had to modify the built-in cable release on my camera because it did have enough throw to trip the shutter. I use my camera so I am not interested in selling it.

Steve Hendrix

I know the differents ( I hope the most of them ).

I want to get a "point and shoot" and a camera for shift. And for me the older Wide Compact looks better than Alpa TC or Cambo RC-400 ( because it delievers a "flash shoe" with the camera in which you can use a finder ). So it looks not as a bad idea for me.

But we will see what Cambo wanted for a back-change. I only found versions with Hasselblad V or H.

And @fotophil:
If you wanted to sell your MAFD-version, give me a feedback... :D

Hi Christian -

Have you already made this purchase or investigating? If you still have your funds then I suppose your pursuit of the WRS Compact is due to you have found it at an affordable price? Otherwise, I would expect the WRC-400 to be a great alternative - it does have an option for your flash shoe, and is smaller and lighter (and does have shift capability, though you may not wish it). Perhaps the WRC 400 is your 1 P&S and Shift solution instead of having to have 2 separate cameras. I'm surprised you received no response from local Cambo dealers.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

weinlamm

I use my camera so I am not interested in selling it.
I thought so. But worth a try... :D

Hi Christian -

Have you already made this purchase or investigating? If you still have your funds then I suppose your pursuit of the WRS Compact is due to you have found it at an affordable price? Otherwise, I would expect the WRC-400 to be a great alternative - it does have an option for your flash shoe, and is smaller and lighter (and does have shift capability, though you may not wish it). Perhaps the WRC 400 is your 1 P&S and Shift solution instead of having to have 2 separate cameras. I'm surprised you received no response from local Cambo dealers.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Hi Steve,

no; I wrote some Emails on thursday morning and one on friday to Cambo. No answer until today - but don't worry. Everybody has his right for a free weekend and perhaps they had much on monday morning.
This is a thing we sometimes forget in the internet-timeage. It's nice to get a answer as soon as possible - but life has so much different sights. And I'm very relaxed this time... Had a good weekend with the family and good weather and no water here like in eastern germany or bavaria.

And many thanks for your words about the RC 400. That it has shift too, I forget sometimes. I saw this in a pdf somewhere. So perhaps I have to think again...
Hadn't bought the old version because I wanted to wait for a upgrade-price at Cambo.