The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Praise for the amazing Alpa FPS?!

Glad you asked...
Heliopan 72mm-86mm step up ring;
Heliopan 86mm-105 mm step up ring
B+W 105mm Screw in Wide angle metal lens hood # 970.

If I use only the 72-86 step up, then I can use my Rodenstock 86mm MC slim circular polarizer.
for my 140mm Contax (also with 72mm front ring) I use a Nikon HN-20 metal hood.

I had been using the same Nikon hood on 45mm with P30+ back, with hardly any vignetting, but with the larger sensor of IQ260, I needed a shorter, wider hood. I may have overdone it with this configuration. i.e. I might have gotten away with something a little less extreme diameter and possibly better practical, such as the 86mm B+W metal lens hood, but this is how I ended up for now.
Thank you for the great explanation. Very good information re HN-20.

narikin

In preparation for a trip on an icebreaker to sub Antarctic islands, some reconfiguration. Voigtlander light meter, 32mm Alpagon with center filter.
Might I inquire what that hand strap is? Almost nothing I have fits into the tiny lug at the top right corner!

Looks like a point-and-shoot strap repurposed?

vjbelle

Narikin,

Have you looked at Upstrap? I used their Rapid Release and Cord loops on my STC which should have the same size lug as the FPS.

Victor

Pelorus

Might I inquire what that hand strap is? Almost nothing I have fits into the tiny lug at the top right corner!

Looks like a point-and-shoot strap repurposed?
I use an Optech strap on my STC. They have various options for the "end loop" on their straps, one of which will no doubt fit the FPS. http://optechusa.com/straps/super-classic-strap.html

Interestingly one of the strap options offered by Alpa is from these guys. I have that strap but from Optech not Alpa.

steflaurent974

To me the Alpa system is meant to be in a little bag with wide lens (I use schneider 47mm and 24mmXL) with a digital back or a 6X9 film back : great portabiliy with maximum quality.
That is why I have never been attracted by the FPS, it is not for my use because of the size, the form factor, and the weight and the price. When I want to put legacy lenses, I have a Sony A7 with adapters for that.
But my joy is to walk about with my little bag, and a one lens combo with the TC or SWA.

Being curious let me understand the attraction for the FPS, but it is not for me. Enjoy and shoot !
:D
Stéphane.

MistralAtom

Hello, the strap you see is indeed repurposed from a small Sony video camera. The other side of the FPS has more generously sized attachment point, so in my instance, I have a braided cord that I loop over the panning plate knob. I tucked it out of the way for the photo shown.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
To me the Alpa system is meant to be in a little bag with wide lens (I use schneider 47mm and 24mmXL) with a digital back or a 6X9 film back : great portabiliy with maximum quality.
That is why I have never been attracted by the FPS, it is not for my use because of the size, the form factor, and the weight and the price. When I want to put legacy lenses, I have a Sony A7 with adapters for that.
But my joy is to walk about with my little bag, and a one lens combo with the TC or SWA.

Being curious let me understand the attraction for the FPS, but it is not for me. Enjoy and shoot !
:D
Stéphane.

Stéphane,

You make a very valid point about the Alpa 12 series.

However, the FPS I feel is a great option for future proofing to a certain degree your MF digital back and legacy lenses, plus also as a very versatile platform for using things like the Canon TSE lenses (my own preference actually - I bought mine to use with my TC and other Alpa lenses but in the end I've only ever used it with Canon tilts). If you can get past the need to crop with lots of legacy glass, it does offer some very interesting options for image capture beyond just the maximum resolution and "quality" that I think that we focus on with most technical cameras.

Recently I have found myself using my MFDB on three systems, primarily my Cambo Actus DB+, then for smaller more portable and packable format technical excellence it's on the STC, but the FPS for me has been the option for the extraordinarily wide 17 & 24 TSE lenses that I can't match for format with either of the other cameras. I also bought it with a view to using other lenses that maybe only cover a portion of the sensor and so have a V mount for things like Petzval or other 'flawed' lenses that have a unique look to them.

For me the lack of available movements on the FPS with my wide Rodenstock lenses is the deal killer for it being the only camera.

I also use my Sonys for use with other glass and in fact even the same TSE lenses. For me though the 3:2 image format is a real distraction (since as I've mentioned many times I just loathe it most of the time).

It is a great time though to shoot because we have so many great potential options with these systems. :thumbs:

narikin

For me the lack of available movements on the FPS with my wide Rodenstock lenses is the deal killer for it being the only camera.
Agreed. An odd thing is that Alpa make FPS shifting adapters for Contax and Hasselblad lenses, with both cross and rise/fall movements, but not for their own mounted Rodenstock/SK lenses! So you can shift/stitch on an FPS with a Contax 35mm lens, but not with your Alpa mounted 'Alpagon'/Rodenstock 35mm. Very strange!

Hopefully they'll see the problem themselves and plug that hole in the system.

(Yes I know you can put the FPS into an STC/Max and shift that way, but that's a heavy and cumbersome combo)

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I am aware of this discussion, http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...backs/53400-image-circle-contax-645-lens.html , but if one can mention in more detail his estimation about using Contax 645 lenses on a technical camera with movements and 37x49mm size backs (no need for stitching)?

I am particularly interested on the 45-90 Vario Sonnar and the 35, 45, 55, 80 & 120Apo lenses, if one could comment on which lenses might need some cropping and his estimation on the magnitude of the cropping needed for smaller than f8 aperture, I would be grateful...

Thanks....

MistralAtom

CF004963.jpg
Macquarie Island Southern Ocean Alpa FPS as shown in earlier post with 70mm Alpagon with CP.
Elephant seals, Royal and King penguins