The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Praise for the amazing Alpa FPS?!

narikin

I'm confused why there isn't more raging love for the FPS! :)

To me its really quite a breakthrough camera, allowing Tech camera work or straight shooting capabilities, and full access to those wonderful lenses, but with a quiet & fast modern Focal Plane Shutter. Auto bracketing, 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 stop control, HDR, time lapse, multi exposure, etc, etc.

I've been using mine as a walk-around camera, and am knocked out by the difference from using a TC or STC. You don't need to take your eye away from the finder to set the shutter each time, which is HUGE, plus the shutter is very quiet and reliable. I seem to even get sharper images as the button is an electro-magnetic coupling, not a physical plunger, and -not seen anyone mention this- is pushed in the direction of the optical axis, not perpendicular to it, so any movement is not blur inducing.

Its a quirky looking body, due to Alpa's desire to allow you to stitch with it as a shutter unit on a Max/STC etc. But once you get used to that, its really a great camera to use. It is also much smaller and lighter than you might think from online images. I haven't begun to explore its ability to put a huge range of other lenses on there - Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, Olympus, Leica, etc.

Of course there are a few things Alpa should maybe tweak - the choice not to take power from the back, requiring its own batteries and charger. They also prioritized stitching compatibility over straight shooting in this form-factor, something I hope will change with a future model. It also has led to some lens barrel confusion as the new body thickness (due to shutter unit) is a change from the rest of the system, meaning SB lenses only.

I really love mine, and its becoming my default option. I'd honestly suggest anyone into Alpa here try one out. It's an amazing tool.

Last edited:

gazwas

Cost??

I love my Arca and have no intention of switching to an Alpa tech camera but the FPS does seem like a great fun camera but the cost is just way too high for a toy..... heck, even the grip is extra! :loco:

narikin

Cost??

I love my Arca and have no intention of switching to an Alpa tech camera but the FPS does seem like a great fun camera but the cost is just way too high for a toy..... heck, even the grip is extra! :loco:
Well I thought it was clear that I was talking about the large number of Alpa owners there are here, not to other system users so much. But I guess not.

Certainly if Arca brought out a ground breaking new camera, I'd also not be paying much attention to it either, with my level of Alpa investment.

It's a safe bet that anyone that has one will agree. For me the combo of FPS, tilt adapter, IQ180, and new HR 90mm Alpagon can't be beat. Great human interface and a joy to use. And the sounds it emits are somehow extremely satisfying :)

danlindberg

The concept is brilliant. Flexibility is an understatement. Quality 'feel' is genuine Alpa. Shutter sound sexiest ever.....this list can go on and on and on....

Right now I'm moving base, back to south of Spain and all assignments are on hold due to a tremendous amount of work of doing this. But, once I'm in place, I will breathe, eat and sleep photography again and the FPS will be my tool of choice.
For instance I will be looking at offering elevated photography with a 10 metre mast. Using remote triggering with the FPS, the Credo and a super wide lens!

gazwas

Well I thought it was clear that I was talking about the large number of Alpa owners there are here, not to other system users so much. But I guess not.
What a strange reply?? :confused:

I didn't realise it was an exclusive club and not owning an Alpa excluded other forum members from your topic.

Maybe that's the problem with the FPS as Alpa are too being a little short sighted about only considering existing owners rather than a larger user base. I'd love to own one but at its current cost including essential extras is a step too far.

narikin

What a strange reply?? :confused:

I didn't realise it was an exclusive club and not owning an Alpa excluded other forum members from your topic.
what a strange response from you!
Read the OP last line where it clearly says:

I'd honestly suggest anyone into Alpa here try one out. It's an amazing tool.
Nobody is saying that any post is exclusive, it's simply obvious that the topic is primarily aimed at people into the Alpa system. Says so right there in the closing line. Duh.

If I was posting about a ground breaking new Canon high-end body, to have a Nikon system owner chime in with first reply and say "I love my Nikon and have no intention of switching to Canon" is not really an amazingly useful response, imho. Peace out.

gazwas

it's simply obvious that the topic is primarily aimed at people into the Alpa system.
?? :confused::confused: ?? Is is?

I think you are totally missing the point by a wide margin on the FPS.....

Sure its great for existing Alpa owners but the most magical thing and the attraction for many users (myself includes) is you don't "obviously" as you patronisingly put it, have to be an Alpa owner to use one. Using plain old Schnieder and Rodenstock digital lenses is what every other tech camera is for and the ability to use Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica, Olympus, Zeiss and Mamiya's current and legacy lenses is what make the camera so unique and interesting.

You want opinions on why its not so popular and I give you my reason. The fact that you don't like my opinion and disregard it as I'm an Arca (Mamiya, Canon, Olympus, Zeiss) owner is just surprising considering the design philosophy behind the FPS.

I'll move on.......... :(

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Peace and love, folks, peace and love :)

I've never heard before on getdpi that comments from users of other camera brands aren't welcome, and I hardly ever see negative comments about Canon cameras from Nikon users. This isn't dpr after all. I also agree with Gareth that the high price of the FPS and accessories is probably one of the main reasons why it isn't more popular. I have been fascinated by that camera since it was released, but it's way, way out of my reach, and will probably be so for some time or forever. I do read the reviews and watch the videos made about it now and then though. Just in case I should stumble across an unusually large pile of money one day :)

sendog

Great way to derail a thread. Congratulations! :banghead:

The OP says if you actually read it:

"I'd honestly suggest anyone into Alpa here try one out"

And so we get posters saying "cost" and that they "love their Arca and have no intention of switching" (since when were Arca's cheap?) Then when the OP clarifies (or, in fact, repeats) that s/he was really aiming at existing Alpa users, it degenerates into how posters have "never heard [...] that comments from users of other camera brands aren't welcome" which is not what was said.

This is not rocket science: A new body in the Alpa system might be most useful to people with -you guessed it- an Alpa system! :) and Yes - MF digital is expensive! That cannot be news here, can it? :confused:

Lets all try to keep it on topic and focused, otherwise it does indeed become like dPreview. :angel:

Nutcracker

I have an FPS as my first foray into tech cameras, with Nikon adapter for my 24 and 85 mm PCE lenses. Image quality on IQ180 is really good at this early and very experimental stage. The 85 covers the full sensor area, with a little movement. The 24 has corner cutoff, but still a decent coverage. Working well for me so far using hyperfocal focussing. When firmware is available for the 800 PCE, despite the limited image circle there should be some fun time (latter more than former!) trying to focus it!
Unfortunately, Phase/Mamiya FPS mount is not yet available for my P1/SK lenses (45, 80, 240), and the available manual adapter does not permit aperture control (it would if I had older lenses). The FPS and the lens and back adapters are exquisitely made, the shutter is very very smooth, not a hint of vibration. I plan on some handholding tests, I expect to find that it will work very well with the 24 and 85 lenses.

vjbelle

I really do wish that Alpa would have designed this to be more compatible with more of the Rodenstock/Schneider lenses. I would limited to my SB 100 and 150...... wouldn't even be able to use my beloved 60mm SB. The whole reason I own Alpa or would own any Tech camera is for the lenses. If I could use my 60mm, or better yet if I could tilt my 60 this would be a slam dunk!

Victor

narikin

I really do wish that Alpa would have designed this to be more compatible with more of the Rodenstock/Schneider lenses. I would limited to my SB 100 and 150...... wouldn't even be able to use my beloved 60mm SB. The whole reason I own Alpa or would own any Tech camera is for the lenses. If I could use my 60mm, or better yet if I could tilt my 60 this would be a slam dunk!

Victor
Which 60SB is this Victor? I thought all SB (except 23mm) lenses could be used on the FPS, with the usual 17mm spacer plate. Could be wrong, but I certainly would have assumed a length like 60mm is perfectly ok, I know 40 and 50mm etc are. (unless you mean 60mm in LB? No LB lenses can be used on FPS)

Sadly the shutter unit is thicker than no shutter unit (!) and so the FPS needs to be 17mm deep it seems. Alpa are handling it with as much care as they can, releasing as many lenses as possible in SB and even dedicated 17mm mounts, but personally I think all FPS owners should be allowed a change of a couple of lenses from LB to SB for an advantageous price to ease the cost/pain of switching.

vjbelle

My 60mm SB is Schneider.... Killer lens!! It really doesn't matter which lens but rather the thickness of the SB and the thickness of the FSB. To reach infinity there has to be defined distance to the sensor plane. As I see it I can't use my 60mm SB lens under any circumstances with the FPS..... very regretable!

fmueller

Hey, for the price of an ALPA FPS and a tech cam body (for movements) I could buy two Hassy Lunars! :bugeyes:

:)

MistralAtom

Glad you asked...
Heliopan 72mm-86mm step up ring;
Heliopan 86mm-105 mm step up ring
B+W 105mm Screw in Wide angle metal lens hood # 970.

If I use only the 72-86 step up, then I can use my Rodenstock 86mm MC slim circular polarizer.
for my 140mm Contax (also with 72mm front ring) I use a Nikon HN-20 metal hood.

I had been using the same Nikon hood on 45mm with P30+ back, with hardly any vignetting, but with the larger sensor of IQ260, I needed a shorter, wider hood. I may have overdone it with this configuration. i.e. I might have gotten away with something a little less extreme diameter and possibly better practical, such as the 86mm B+W metal lens hood, but this is how I ended up for now.