The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar

Leigh

It takes more than money to build a company and to design successful products.
That was true 50 years ago.

Today, with multitudes of potential customers worldwide who have way more money than they can ever spend, all it takes is a recognized name and an advertising budget. :mad:

- Leigh

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hasselbling Lunar

The positive aspect of this whole fashion boutique trend in photographic equipment is that next time I accompany my wife to The Boutique, I can try to ask for a new camera instead of the usual new croquet shoes :lecture:

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 1/125 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.4

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.4

Stan ROX

Re: Hasselbling Lunar

The positive aspect of this whole fashion boutique trend in photographic equipment is that next time I accompany my wife to The Boutique, I can try to ask for a new camera instead of the usual new croquet shoes :lecture:

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 1/125 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.4

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.4
I need this shoes ...

jduncan

He wasn't talking about the Hasselblad designed/Fuji made lenses like the HCD 35-90 which is superlative. He was referencing the Sony made consumer level zoom on the Lunar which is mediocre ... especially at these prices.

- Marc
Thanks for the clarification.

James

ddanois

This may have been mentioned earlier but I see this introduction to be in the same line of thinking as the Nokia decision to start Vertu. Who would have thought that taking a cell phone and covering it in gold and diamonds would make it a piece of jewelry and not an electronic device.

The main issue, I believe, is that these ultra glam approaches (like Vertu) discount the underlying tool/device in favor of a precious metal or rare wood handle.

Leica has been successful at this because the instrument comes first!

Hasselblad could have made a uniquely designed device that utilized a state of the art photographic instrument inside and the premium price would be seen as acceptable. Instead, they went for a NEX-7 and added a new shell.

In any event, this camera wasn't made for photographers so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What is the most striking with the Lunar photo is that the camera must either be glued to the background or photoshopped in. No camera, except maybe a weightless Lunar, would be able to balance the way this camera does partly outside the bag that it's supposed to be resting on.

Swissblad

Well for those who want to experience the looney live, here is your chance:

Foto-Video Sauter - Details

From the blurb, a chance to test a new luxury consumer camera.

PS Thanks to Jürgen for passing on the invitation - so hard to resist :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm not saying that Leica is worth 1.5x for the fancy box and extra warranty etc but it's a LOOONNNGGG way short of 7x.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... and on the LeicaSonic, you get a lens that is supposedly designed or co-designed by Leica. The Lunar comes with a cheap Sony lens with "Hasselblad" painted onto it.

BANKER1

I'm curious to know if you guys are annoyed at the way Leica re-badge Panasonic cameras?

Leica slaps D-Lux 5 badge on Panasonic LX5, hitches up the price (update)
Nick,

As a former rabid supporter of Hasselblad, I can say that had Hasselblad offered a rebadged Sony camera at even 2 times the Sony price, I don't think I'd have a problem. As a medium format manufacturer, one would, at a minimum, expect at least full frame 35 mm format. And EVERYONE wants Hasselblad to increase their revenue stream to support their H line of cameras. Even Phase customers want Hasselblad to succeed so that they do not have a monopoly in the MFD market. And, Zeiss may have been interested in supporting the new camera with a line of lenses. They did for the V line.

Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Greg

Nick-T

I'm not a fan of the Lunar but then again I'm not the target consumer for it.

If Hasselblad can sell these at whatever price (and my information is that they are selling) then who cares?

A successful Hasselblad means more options for H users which means more pros using the cameras which means more rich people want to own the camera that the pros use which means more options for H users etc..

Nick-T

Nick-T

The backs are of Imacon heritage
The H system backs have very little to do with Imacon technology apart from what was learned around pulling data off Kodak chips.

the camera is Fuji,
Sorry but this is not true. The camera is made in Sweden.

and the lenses are Hasselblad design but are made by Fuji.
You got this one right! (Except the shutters are made in Denmark). And oh let's not forget that V system lenses were made in Germany, I don't remember anyone complaining about that...

hcubell

If anyone here is truly concerned and cares about Hasselblad succeeding in the MFD market, put your money up and go out and buy some H cameras and lenses rather than obsessing about a camera that is irrelevant to you. Who cares if is it overpriced by a factor of 10? I hope they sell 10,000 of them and make a fortune.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If anyone here is truly concerned and cares about Hasselblad succeeding in the MFD market, put your money up and go out and buy some H cameras and lenses rather than obsessing about a camera that is irrelevant to you. Who cares if is it overpriced by a factor of 10? I hope they sell 10,000 of them and make a fortune.
Do you really think the profit from the Lunar will go into development of their medium format cameras? The owner of Hasselblad is a Swiss/German equity group. They are in this for the money, period. If they thought MF was the way to maximise the return of their investment, that is the horse they would have saddled already. They have shown very clearly that brand engineering is the game they are playing, simply because that's where they believe the largest profit potential is hidden.

As for the H-series being Hasselblad or Fuji, I would be surprised if it wasn't a Fuji camera from the outset. The design corresponds very well with Fuji MF cameras from the nineties. Maybe Fuji simply found that they could make more money from selling the design to Hasselblad than marketing the GX645 themselves?

Where it's manufactured now is of little interest. Most Nikon cameras are manufactured in Thailand and China, but they are still 100% Nikon products.