The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting the camera parallel to the building facade?

ondebanks

I hate to disagree with Doug or John, but wouldn't measuring the two edges of a building only guarantee that the camera is in the center? Couldn't it still be askew?
That was my exact thought also. Centering is a separate problem to parallelism or "squaring on".

The mirror method seems best. When we're aligning a telescope system and need to square on the focuser or an instrument attached to it, we use a derivative of the mirror method, such as a collimating eyepiece or laser collimator.

Building on this idea...if you wanted to be really spot-on, you could rig an adapter to hold a laser collimator along your camera's optical axis, and swivel the camera until the returning beam (reflected from the mirror on the building) landed straight back on the camera.

Ray

(Damn, I should patent that!)

jlm

Workshop Member
or look at all the mirror solutions referred to...or use the enlarger aligner laser dot, or...

If you're struggling to see it, you should check the accuracy of your levels. Assuming your levels are accurate then you should see when it is correct as you look through a finder with properly marked lines or use a groundglass grid or liveview grid (or align with the edges). If you have a panning head, as you swing your camera around you should see the parallelism error and be able to locate the mid-point, even you are off-centre to the building.

It's really no harder than that (unless you have Shashin's identified problem of a building that sags or isn't straight in the first place). Practice on something square at home, or a modern building.

And don't feel bad about getting it slightly wrong occasionally, even Ansel Adams did so.