The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Valeo users?

yaya

Just seems like a natural thing that Capture One should see and tether to a Valeo 22. Kind of amazing that it doesn't.
When support for Leaf backs was added to Capture One in 2009 we had to make a clear cut and considering the size of the install base and the R&D effort that was required, we've decided to leave the Valeo out. At the time Leaf Capture was a very valid alternative and it still is! In addition Valeo files are supported by several 3rd party apps like ACR, LR etc.

BR

Yair

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
When support for Leaf backs was added to Capture One in 2009 we had to make a clear cut and considering the size of the install base and the R&D effort that was required, we've decided to leave the Valeo out. At the time Leaf Capture was a very valid alternative and it still is! In addition Valeo files are supported by several 3rd party apps like ACR, LR etc.
As an additional reference point the Valeo 22 was released in 2003.

They went back to the Aptus 22 in adding backwards support which was released in 2005. You can always want such efforts to go back further than they do. But in my experience most companies would not have supported any legacy products, and opted only to support current products. So for them to go back to the Aptus 22 was, in my opinion, pretty nice support of their legacy users. No Aptus 22 purchaser would have thought that a half decade later they would be able to use software, which, at the time, was of their major competitor.

Chris McCallan

Hi Leaf Valeo users:
I'm having trouble with an older leaf Valeo 22 back which I use on my Hasselblad V system. I was using it in battery mode with the little HP Ipaq handheld computer and the Ipaq battery crapped out. So, I switched to tethered mode with my desktop machine instead. Suddenly it was not possible for the computer to recognize the back (it had worked with both desk top and portable previously. Now all I get is the orange light blipping on briefly and turning off again . It's not cables as I have tried the cables with other devices and they work fine. I've charged the Ipaq fully and no go with it either. Reinstalled software on the Ipaq and the desktop - still no go! Took it to Leaf and they want $3,500 to fix it . It's probably either a broken firewire port or a software problem. Anybody got any ideas about this type of problem? If anybody knows a repair guy who could solder in a new firewire port could you pas on their contact info.? I think this type of repair should be more on the order of a few hundred , not a few thousand . Thoughts from anyone appreciated.

carl-b

Chris. Did Leaf actually state was going to be repaired/ replaced? I might be wrong, but think i read something a few years ago about the same/ similar issue. That turned out to be one of the controller boards i think. So a little more than just an easy fix via a new firewire socket. However if it is just the firewire port, then i should think any competent electrical engineer should be capable of replacing the port. :)

shamus

Leaf Capture will run up to 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) but not newer OS. I have a bunch of Mac's that run 10.6.8 and the LC (Version 11.3.6 which you can download) runs fine. Here's what I've been told but have not confirmed first hand: In order to use a new Mac, I was told by the business rep at the Mac store that I could use Bootcamp on a new machine to partition the HD and load 10.6.8 so that it will effectively run both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

While I did end up buy a new Mac for editing purposes, I haven't yet had the need to try the above, so I can't confirm that it will work.

Let me know if I can help-
Hi all,

I just received a Mercury Universal Camera from a Kickstarter campaign. It came with a Leaf Valeo 22wi back. Hence, I just found "Leaf Valeo users?" on GetDPI. I like the "?" in the name. It seem appropriate since the last post was from early 2016.

Is anyone still on this forum? Is anyone still using a Leaf Valeo?

Vis-a-vis the thread about running Leaf Capture 11.5.1 on a modern Mac running the latest OS: Does a Mac Pro late 2013 running OS Sierra 10.12.6 / OS High Sierra 10.13 qualify?

To be sure, since I just received the camera, I haven't had the time to connect it to the HP iPAQ via Bluetooth, or connect it to LC 11.5.1 running on my Mac Pro, and actually import images.

That said, I have fired up LC on both OS versions and have screen shots of the LC screen with the the "About This Ma" dialog box in front of it. So I know it works. I just don't know how well.

To be sure, Apple will stop supporting 32 bit in the near term, as they recently did with iOS.

But for now, if you have a modern Mac you can run LC 11.5.1 on OSX 10.12.6 or 10.13.

The issue is the SIP that was instituted with El Capitan 10.11 and carried over into 10.12 and 10.13.

SIP means System Integrity Protection, which protects the Application directory so it is read-only and rootless. That means old stuff, and stuff from unknown/non-certified developers can't be installed.

But LC actually can:

- First, enable your root user on your mac
- Second, boot into recovery mode (Cmd -R)
- In the pulldown menu, choose the Command line util - Type in :
CODE: SELECT ALL
csrutil disable

- reboot and login normally - Open a command line
- Type in:
cd /
sudo chmod +w Applications
sudo chown root:wheel Applications

Then install Leaf capture

You need to restore SIP
Do the same procedure, but with the command:
csrutil enable

Reboot and fire up LC. Everything should be fine.

On a side note: I just discovered that there was a DP-67 coiled cord that connects the Valeo to the iPAQ.

I know I don't need it since the Valeo 22wi will connect via Bluetooth, but just for grins I'd like to buy or make one. Buying will be hard since the cable seems to be non-existant after all this time.

However, if any of you out there have such a cable, if you could take some macro closeup pics of the RJ45 connector showing the colored leads, I might be able to make up a cable from a iPAQ USB cable.

Thanks, and my the Valeo be with you.

Loren

Baldesar

Hi Loren.
I've bought a valeo 22 (early 22 non wi version) from a professional photographer and drop in many of your problems. On the pc side I've bought a macbook pro late 2012, reboot it in lion ( original os) installed LC (latest before 32 bit) an updated the os to sierra and all went ok. Os mantain on duty all old official programs running before update.

I've found also (in the rubbish!!!) A mac pro ppc that i use as backup on which i installed leaf capture 8 ( from original disc).

The seller gove me also a "beta version of leaf capture for windows ×p". I' ve installed it on my pc (via virtual box) and seems to run, slow and sometimes closes suddenly but not very often. The problem is that virtual box does not recognizes firewire ports. So if you can find an old cheap pc wit good battery and firewire or pcmca port for firewire adapter you could be in a good position.

On the ipaq side i had problems related to the use of the digital magazine. I Read somewhere that the back coul set itself (for unknown reason) to a mode that let it to be used thetered but not with the DM and so happened to me.
This problem seems could be fixed only with ipaq... so I'm looking desperately for the cord as my back does not have blutooth.
I found it impossible as you but on this site they sold one, and let very useful images online: HP IPAC LEAF ADAPTER CABLE

I've ordered a couple of usb-synch cables to scrap and make tests.

If goes right i'll try to make some for users that need it or send instructions.

Hi.
Marcello.

shamus

Hi Loren.
I've bought a valeo 22 (early 22 non wi version) from a professional photographer and drop in many of your problems. On the pc side I've bought a macbook pro late 2012, reboot it in lion ( original os) installed LC (latest before 32 bit) an updated the os to sierra and all went ok. Os mantain on duty all old official programs running before update.

I've found also (in the rubbish!!!) A mac pro ppc that i use as backup on which i installed leaf capture 8 ( from original disc).

The seller gove me also a "beta version of leaf capture for windows ×p". I' ve installed it on my pc (via virtual box) and seems to run, slow and sometimes closes suddenly but not very often. The problem is that virtual box does not recognizes firewire ports. So if you can find an old cheap pc wit good battery and firewire or pcmca port for firewire adapter you could be in a good position.

On the ipaq side i had problems related to the use of the digital magazine. I Read somewhere that the back coul set itself (for unknown reason) to a mode that let it to be used thetered but not with the DM and so happened to me.
This problem seems could be fixed only with ipaq... so I'm looking desperately for the cord as my back does not have blutooth.
I found it impossible as you but on this site they sold one, and let very useful images online: HP IPAC LEAF ADAPTER CABLE

I've ordered a couple of usb-synch cables to scrap and make tests.

If goes right i'll try to make some for users that need it or send instructions.

Hi.
Marcello.
Hi Marcello,

Thanks for your post.

I was just looking for that particular cable as a backup in case one of the other methods of connecting to the Valeo 22 wi I have failed.

I actually have everything I need otherwise, including a battery pack and flash card that came with the Kickstarter Mercury camera.

Also, I have since upgraded, or downgraded, from the late 2013 Mac Pro to a 2017 iMac. I can confirm that the 32 bit Leaf Capture works with Mac OSX 10.13.4 on the iMac.

According to on line discussions, it appears that OSX 10.14 will start giving warnings about the 32 bit apps, but it will probably be around 18 months before the 32 bit Leaf Capture will actually stop working.

In the meantime, enjoy your new (to you) Valeo 22.

Loren

stevenenglund

The seller gove me also a "beta version of leaf capture for windows ×p".
Hi Marcello! I am hoping you still have those files so that I can try installing the beta software on my old pc?

Or if anyone else still has 11.0.2 or 11.1 I would highly appreciate it! Leaf/Phase One are being no help at all.

Thank you!