The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Camera Focus Question

Since looking around the forum, it appears that there are many technical camera users here. Interesting cameras to say the least!

At the risk of asking a dumb question (and I have looked around but didn't find the answer elsewhere), but how do these cameras focus?

The camera bodies appear rigid, the lenses look like traditional lenses in shutters....I just can't figure out where the focus mechanism is!

What am I missing?

-seeking enlightenment...

Ken_R

At least in the Arca Rm3di that I have it moves the lens back and forth using a helical focusing ring / mount. The lens is mounted (fixed) on a circular (cylindrical) metal mount open in the back obviously and small threads on the outside. You screw on the lens onto the mount (1/4 turn or less) on the camera and turn the focus ring on the camera body back and forth to achieve focus. On the Arca the thread is quite fine so small changes in focus are easy to achieve. Unless you want to focus very close (at least with wide angles and normal lenses) it does not take much movement of the lens back and forth to achieve focus.

On the Alpa and Cambo I believe the lens has the focusing mechanism integrated in the back from the factory with an indexed focusing ring and that is mounted on a more typical flat lens board which is then mounted on the camera. So each lens has to have its own focusing mechanism where as on the Arca the focusing is on the body only and each lens is just fixed on the threaded mounts.

At least in the Arca Rm3di that I have it moves the lens back and forth using a helical focusing ring / mount. The lens is mounted (fixed) on a circular (cylindrical) metal mount open in the back obviously and small threads on the outside. You screw on the lens onto the mount (1/4 turn or less) on the camera and turn the focus ring on the camera body back and forth to achieve focus. On the Arca the thread is quite fine so small changes in focus are easy to achieve. Unless you want to focus very close (at least with wide angles and normal lenses) it does not take much movement of the lens back and forth to achieve focus.

On the Alpa and Cambo I believe the lens has the focusing mechanism integrated in the back from the factory with an indexed focusing ring and that is mounted on a more typical flat lens board which is then mounted on the camera. So each lens has to have its own focusing mechanism where as on the Arca the focusing is on the body only and each lens is just fixed on the threaded mounts.
In addition, you rotate Arca helical focusing ring based on distance chart provided by Arca. You need some adjustments which depends on the digital back you are using. For an example, if Arca's chart says 1.0 for a given lens and certain distance (to nearest focus point), then you may have to dial 3.0, if your focus factor is 2. This focus factor you need find by your own testing only for your MFDB, lens and aperture combination.

Subrata

I shoot with an older back, tethered only. Presumably with the newer backs, there is a live-view option with the display on the back that can be used for live focus?

At any rate, I suspect there might be a tech camera in my future, I've been inspired by some of the work I've seen posted here :clap:

Geoff

In some cases, you focus on ground glass. Then, in addition, with use of sliding backs, which also allow stitching, you slide the back over and take your shot. Exact alignment between the GG and the sensor plane is critical, so some makers (Alpa) are not in favor of this; others use with good success.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Since looking around the forum, it appears that there are many technical camera users here. Interesting cameras to say the least!

At the risk of asking a dumb question (and I have looked around but didn't find the answer elsewhere), but how do these cameras focus?

The camera bodies appear rigid, the lenses look like traditional lenses in shutters....I just can't figure out where the focus mechanism is!

What am I missing?

-seeking enlightenment...
The pancake type technical cameras focus via a Helical Focus Mount. The Cambo and Alpa use a similar mechanism that has a specific mount for each lens, and the Arca-Swiss uses a helical mount that is mounted to its lens panel and is shared by all of the lens. With both types focus mechanisms you figure out the distance via best guess, laser distance meter or Arca-Swiss Cloud Module and dial the focus in via distance calculated. If you are using an IQ1/2 or Credo digital back you also have the capability of using Live View on the digital back itself.

Take a look at this video demonstrating Live View with a Phase One Back on a Tech Camera.

Here is also another video specifically on focusing the Arca-Swiss R-Series with an older back that does not have Live View.

For more information on tech cameras in general we have a whole section of our website dedicated to Arca-Swiss and Cambo Technical Camera Solutions including Focus Equivalency and Image Circle tools, here.

Lance

Thanks Stephen.
Something about these cameras that is really intriguing. Evidently many others have given in to the call.

Maybe it's the simplicity of the overall concept executed in a really sophisticated package. A pinhole camera on steroids.

<just what I need...another camera! :eek:>

kdphotography

I'm still trying to figure out the auto-focus on my Cambo. :p

Focusing and composing with the IQ180 makes using a technical camera pretty easy. I tried out Don Libby's Cambo ground-glass with the shiftable hood and loupe and tupperware cover for the MFDB---and have to say I like it. It provides yet another focusing option for the Cambo technical camera. Yeah, I bought it. :)

https://captureintegration.com/product/cambo-cs-30-shiftable-viewing-hood-bundle/

https://captureintegration.com/product/cambo-wds-619-universal-groundglass-frame/

https://captureintegration.com/product/cambo-cover-fitting-to-slw-adapters/

mm111

Hi guys, i was wondering on a cambo with p45+ back or hasselblad back tethered to a laptop, can one focus the cambo using live view on the laptop in C1? I plan on renting this setup this week and will post some results all the best, MM