The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P vs P+ ..what's the diff?

Dolce Moda

I am researching Phase One backs.

I am looking at a Phase One P30 and a P21+ . Both of these backs are selling for roughly
the same amount of money. Besides the difference in resolution, what is the difference?
The capture time seems to be roughly the same. Is there a reason why the P21+ would
sell for the same price as higher resolution back?

Which would be a better buy?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The big difference is the sensor one is 9 micron which is the same sensor in the P25 plus but with Micro lenses. The P30 Plus uses a 6.8 Micron sensor

P 21+

Imaging technology
CCD: Less than full frame CCD
Lens Factor: 1.3
Resolution: 18 mega pixels
Active pixels: 4904 x 3678 pixels
CCD size effective: 44.2 x 33.1 mm
Pixel size: 9 x 9
Image ratio: 4:3
Microlens on CCD: Yes
Antiblooming: 10 f-stops
Dynamic range: 12 f-stops

P 30+

Imaging technology
CCD: Less than full frame CCD
Lens Factor: 1.3
Resolution: 31.6 mega pixels
Active pixels: 6496 x 4872 pixels
CCD size effective: 44.2 x 33.1 mm
Pixel size: 6.8 x 6.8 micron
Image ratio: 4:3
Microlens on CCD: Yes
Antiblooming: 10 f-stops
Dynamic range: 12 f-stop

Allso the P30 plus is rated 1 stop better at ISO 1600 compared to ISO 800 of the P21 Plus. The P21 Plus is a faster capture back at .8 seconds and the P30 plus is 1.25 capture rate.

So technically they are similar but do sport different sensors

Guy Mancuso

Also here are the PLus series special features. I just pulled this part off there website but the Plus does have a better brighter LCD. There are more features but I can't seem to find the comparison page they once had up between the NonPlus and the Plus. I myself have a P25 Plus

P+ SPECIAL FEATURES

1 Hour Exposure - The patent pending XPose+ technology enables noise-free exposures of up to 1 hour. Create fantastic images using extreme light painting or capture great architectural designs at night time.

Live Preview - The scalable focus window supports an effective workflow on large production jobs between the photographer, the art directors and the stylists.

Level Meter - The unique and patented high precision level meter ensures a perfect horizontal setup.

Extraordinary color reproduction - Opticolor+ is a unique image processing algorithm delivering high color accuracy in deep shadows and perfect skin tones.

Noise-free capture - The Dynamic+ technology ensures less noise at all ISO settings and break limits on the ability to work in very low light.

Efficient workflow - Capture One is Phase one’s RAW workflow software. Capture One provides an efficient workflow and handles the processing of all RAW files, delivering optimized image quality. You can read more about Capture One here: www.phaseone.com/4

jlm

Workshop Member
i believe a major difference between the plus and non-plus versions is that the plus provide live view

Guy Mancuso

Chris did I miss something in the comparison by chance. I remember Phase had on there website at one time the actually differences on a chart and I can't find it anymore and this question does come up a lot.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Jack,

I'm trying to find it myself. I'll research it and let you know what I find.

Chris Lawery
Currently the level is only available when using Live View tethered to a computer. The on-back bubble level has been discussed for quite some time for the next version of the digital back firmware for existing + series backs, but no ETA or details.

There was also some discussion that the P65+ would ship with the bubble level firmware. I don't know if it made it into the production units which are shipping at the end of the month.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Currently the level is only available when using Live View tethered to a computer.
Now that's just plain stupid... If I'm in the studio using live-view, I can certainly tell if I'm level. The real need is in the field when not tethered!

Dale Allyn

I'll add my voice to those who would love to have a level indicator feature available on the un-tethered back. I use a hot-shoe-mounted spirit level most of the time (when appropriate), but it would be handy to have one available on the LCD.

And I agree with Jack's sentiment above.

J

jmvdigital

Ditto. Would be a great feature, especially if the hardware to make it happen is already present in the back. Seems a bit silly not to add it as another viewing option on the back LCD.

That is true. Just remember that live view can only work when tethered.
dougpetersonci said:
The on-back bubble level has been discussed for quite some time
Slightly off-topic, but my wish-list item would be live view displayed on a large panel on the back. No need for an external computer, and no need for a sliding adapter; in fact, no need for a prism or mirror, either!

Do you guys know if anything has been discussed in this area? :thumbup:

Slightly off-topic, but my wish-list item would be live view displayed on a large panel on the back. No need for an external computer, and no need for a sliding adapter; in fact, no need for a prism or mirror, either!

Do you guys know if anything has been discussed in this area? :thumbup:
After digging, I found a thread on LL that goes some way to answering why we can't do this at the moment.

Please excuse my laziness :eek: