The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using an Arca-Swiss Cube with a Gitzo Series 5 tripod

jstn

I'm considering pairing a Cube with a Gitzo Series 5 tripod (GT5532LS), but I came across this blog post describing a potential problem:

fauxtoreal | A Small Problem with the Gitzo GT5562GTS SYSTEMATIC Tripod and Arca-Swiss C1 Cube Geared Tripod Head

It seems the Series 5 top plate is so large that it impedes operation of the panorama base lock on the Cube. Has anyone here experienced this problem? How did you solve it? I'd like to avoid raising the head as much as I can, it's already right at eye level for my particular height and camera.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I never had a problem with it. It seems like some folks had a problem with the lock bumping against the edge of the head and maybe slipping over the edge itself. However, it really wasn't an issue at all and seemed over-rated to me.

jagsiva

Same here, no issues. I did recently switch to an RRS 34L just because it was less bulky with similar weight ratings. Also, my Gitzo is a 1548 and had the annoying twisting legs as you try to extend or collapse it.

MILESF

It's a great combination.

The only thing is t hat I found it quite heavy when traveling by air so have Series 2 and 4 tripods and an A-S D4 Geared. Overkill maybe but saves a bit of weight when important.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
a 1-1/2" to 2" diameter spacer of aluminum about 1/4" thick with a 3/8" hole would give you a bit more finger clearance

kdphotography

Actually, I think the perfect solution is something from RRS.

Attach a TH-DVTL 40 dovetail plate to the Cube. Then affix the appropriately sized lever release clamp to the tripod base. (call RRS for the right size). Do this for all your tripod legs and heads. No more searching for bits and pieces to swap heads. Release one lever, and you can easily move the Cube to different tripod legs. Rock solid and stable. This thanks to Graham! I think Don has adopted this system as well.

And it just happens to give you that slight bit more of clearance you're asking for---and making it functional at the same time rather than a dead spacer.

RodK

The most important thing to remember and which will eliminate the issue of locking down the head, is that the pan knob should be locked when installing the head on any tripod,
As the pan loosens with only a 45 degree turn of the knob, no problem in operation should be encountered after installation with knob locked.
Hope this helps.

arionelli

For those who like tea :grin: , have a look at the Markins site...they make an alternate base for series 2, 3 and 5 legs which is supposed to be an improvement in rigidity. They love making little workarounds to get the n th degree of performance from heads and (esp) Gitzo legs.
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but I've been contemplating one for my CF5 series for quite a while to make the whole leg assembly more compact (which it does, significantly) because I found that, even on my big AS B1g head, the standard base often got in the way when flipping the C645 over on its side ...as usual with Markins though, not cheap, but very well made...I wouldn't mind hearing what anyone who has actually tried one of these thinks about them.

jstn

The most important thing to remember and which will eliminate the issue of locking down the head, is that the pan knob should be locked when installing the head on any tripod,
As the pan loosens with only a 45 degree turn of the knob, no problem in operation should be encountered after installation with knob locked.
Hope this helps.
Perfect, I had a feeling this was the case. Thanks for clearing it up.