The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am Confused (again)

alajuela

Phillip if that is the look your after than yes lenses without multi- coating and lens aberrations is what your after. The problem is the Roadie tech lenses are not it, the are the best in its class. Technically just about perfect and even designed for wide open apertures. The Schneiders are designed for about F 8 and the Roadies about F 5.6. Changing backs won't help you here either a p45 with a Roadie is still going to be sharp as heck. I think for the ease of use than look at the 645 lenses from Mamiya they have some older glass like the 80 1.9 that maybe just what your looking for. Contax also has some that have a great look. The nice thing is they are not very expensive and you can pick a used AFD body pretty cheap as well.

I think this maybe a good discussion amongst our members as there are plenty of folks that been down this path. The issue is tech cams where designed and mostly used for high end resolution type work. Maybe better said they are the sharpest highest resolution systems on the market. Your kind of asking it to dumming it down per say. Maybe it can be done with some older lenses that work on the tech cams, I just not have tried doing this so at a little loss to give advice on it. But I do think this is a great discussion and encourage everyone to weigh in.
Hi Guy

I am using an Arca view camera, The lenses I have got - allot are similar to the one above, and also I got some old brass barrel lens to try out. Yesterday I actually shot one lens w/o shutter by capping the lens and counting.
I will take a shot of the set up. I confess figuring this out - is half the fun. I have been bottom feeding on Ebay - getting ugly lenses as the nice looking ones become "vintage" and go to collectors. I will look for some of the lenses you mention,. I can put them on my DF.
I did get a lens on Ebay - one of the more expensive ones I bought, called a Dallmeyer Oscillograph Anastigmat, that I think I like.

The shots above could qualify as looks I am after. This thread has been very helpful

Thanks

Phil

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Read my signature below.
Seriously this is what photography is all about. And I agree 110 percent this should be fun. It's honestly what keeps me in this profession as a career is the fun factor.

Pics2

Phil, I think you would get closer to the specific look using film instead of IQ back. The closest to what you want I've seen in Marko Repse's street fashion (shown here at the forum) pictures. He used Leaf Aptus 22 and 80mm 1.9 Mamiya lens, I think.

alajuela

Phil, I think you would get closer to the specific look using film instead of IQ back. The closest to what you want I've seen in Marko Repse's street fashion (shown here at the forum) pictures. He used Leaf Aptus 22 and 80mm 1.9 Mamiya lens, I think.
Hi

I have not seen the street fashion photos you are referring to, and I looked on his web site. Can you give me a link.

Thanks for the input

Phil

...I have an Acra Swiss View Camera (is really cool), the reason for getting it was - to be able use older lenses and have a "freedom"...

... Cambo going wide due to the steep angle of the pixels, you need retro focus lenses. ie Rodenstock....

...Would I be better off, getting a second hand P45+ to work on this project? Older lenses (bottom feeding on Ebay) with a more forgiving back?...
Phil, If I may go back to re-address the question, after reading through the comments, the only problems you'd experience on an IQ180 is with ultra-wide angles, as you are looking at older lenses, they simply don't exist as ultra-wides. I think to summarise (largely what Guy said I think) is that you really need a larger capture area to benefit from those lenses. For example a nice small petzval won't swirl on the small sensor of the IQ180. You'd need a scanning back or film. The other aspect is contrast, I've found that digital captures tend to create more contrasty images than film. Why not try shooting those lenses in + mode and then lower contrast. Mess around with not quite blacks or go very black and not so white. Finally using those lenses to their maximum potential is an art in itself, so take a lot more shots of that mannequin to find the look you're after.

fwiw, I tried what you seem to be trying and ended up buying a chamonix 8x10!!

- Paul

alajuela

Phil, If I may go back to re-address the question, after reading through the comments, the only problems you'd experience on an IQ180 is with ultra-wide angles, as you are looking at older lenses, they simply don't exist as ultra-wides. I think to summarise (largely what Guy said I think) is that you really need a larger capture area to benefit from those lenses. For example a nice small petzval won't swirl on the small sensor of the IQ180. You'd need a scanning back or film. The other aspect is contrast, I've found that digital captures tend to create more contrasty images than film. Why not try shooting those lenses in + mode and then lower contrast. Mess around with not quite blacks or go very black and not so white. Finally using those lenses to their maximum potential is an art in itself, so take a lot more shots of that mannequin to find the look you're after.

fwiw, I tried what you seem to be trying and ended up buying a chamonix 8x10!!

- Paul
Hi Paul,

Yes - I stand corrected and educated - a good thing. The 180 (and soon to be 280) will give the best capture. The P45+ would bring longer exposures (not a bad thing) , not better quality . I am happy for this, it is good to learn from other people. As much as I love wides, I have discovered what you mention, on LF lenses a 55 is wide Anyway I have my wides HR 28 and HR40 for the tech.

What You and Guy are saying - I realized that but rationalized - I would have to use a 55 or 70 -and stitch - to get the image circle, the Arca is real easy for that. And same for non moving subjects on the older brass barrels. Time will tell if that works.

I like your idea about + mode - will give it a try. My plan is to put aside one or two nights for mannequin shooting during the week, and one day on the weekend - take it outside, even if just down the street. I don't know if you know Shanghai, but I live in Puxi - Former French Concession, so the street look nice.

BTW - how do you like your Chamonix?

I get to Hong Kong very 2 months for a couple of days or so, do you ever get to Shanghai? Would be nice to meet up and compare notes.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Paul,

What You and Guy are saying - I realized that but rationalized - I would have to use a 55 or 70 -and stitch - to get the image circle, the Arca is real easy for that. And same for non moving subjects on the older brass barrels. Time will tell if that works.

BTW - how do you like your Chamonix?

I get to Hong Kong very 2 months for a couple of days or so, do you ever get to Shanghai? Would be nice to meet up and compare notes.
Regarding stitching, I tried it and it works, you do get that large format look. I'm terrible at stitching, so didn't use it for anything properly apart from shooting a few rocks, but the look was there.

The Chamonix is lovely! The real goal is to mount so old lenses for some portraits and I've only just acquired the tools to make that happen. 8x10 is a long term project!

Hope to get that coffee if not in HK then in Shanghai!

- Paul

alajuela

Regarding stitching, I tried it and it works, you do get that large format look. I'm terrible at stitching, so didn't use it for anything properly apart from shooting a few rocks, but the look was there.

The Chamonix is lovely! The real goal is to mount so old lenses for some portraits and I've only just acquired the tools to make that happen. 8x10 is a long term project!

Hope to get that coffee if not in HK then in Shanghai!

- Paul
Thank you Paul

Look forward to hearing from you - see you soon in Shanghai!!

Best

Phil

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Pramote

Please correct me if I'm wrong about your question.

You are correct - I think the guys have helped me get over the issue of getting a second back for this - although - the P45 does have the long exposure which is nice to have - as it appears you agree, getting 260

I 've had an Arca F 6x9 and 4x5 and IQ180 although I've just switched to the IQ260 for the advantage of the long exposure but I will certainly miss the IQ180.

I have the 280 on order and looking forward to it, I love my 180 also. You still have the Arcas?

I used the IQ180 with old lenses on the Arca F 6x9 but the result was very disappointing especially with wide angle lenses which I've used the most. I've never tried the Linhof Techno though. Using the P45+ with the 4x5, the result was OK.

It funny I sorta was looking the Linhof 679 - I still think its cool. But I got a great deal on the Monolith (I am not a backpacker anyway) - I really like it and think the Arca is great.

Using the IQ 180 with the tech camera and HR lens series is a different story. LCC is not as bad as people complained. Like taking allergy medication, when you get used to it, it would not bother you at all.

I totally agree, I think I did not explain this clearly in the beginning -- Tech is wonderful, I could not ask for more. This is different

Although I am just an amateur, please feel free to email me any time. I've been trying almost every MF digital including with 4x5. Errors and mistakes are my specialties but I've learnt a lot.

Thanks so much I will take you up on this, I am the same, I work about 1 1/2 shifts being in China doing trading and do my Photography to stay sane, I been shooting since college way back in the 70s and - love it. -- This is what I will do for the rest of my life.

Best regards,
Pramote
Phil,

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures from your Monolith and IQ280.
The P45+ is an amazing back for long exposure, 1 hr without grain. Life is too short, I will not wait until the price down to $5, 000. It won't be any time soon.

Best,
Pramote

alajuela

Phil,

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures from your Monolith and IQ280.
The P45+ is an amazing back for long exposure, 1 hr without grain. Life is too short, I will not wait until the price down to $5, 000. It won't be any time soon.

Best,
Pramote
Well Pramote

I should be getting the 280 I guess in about 3 - 6 weeks. Looking forward to using the ipad with it. There has been a deafening silence from people who have received their 260s.

I think your are correct about the P45+ at least for the time being, hopefully there will be some movement in about 6 - 8 weeks, then revisit.

I am still trying to digest all the lenes I got from Ebay :loco: I think maybe (just maybe) I got to much:facesmack:

In the meantime I have been shooting the mannequin head and can only report that some of the old lenses are SHARP!! I have some neat stuff -- been putting together to shoot barrel lenses and lenses without mounts. I post some pics the adapters next week.

Next week, I will take the rig outdoors and shoot - should be different. Thinking about choosing a good cityscape location.

Thanks

Phil

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Well Pramote

I should be getting the 280 I guess in about 3 - 6 weeks. Looking forward to using the ipad with it. There has been a deafening silence from people who have received their 260s.

I think your are correct about the P45+ at least for the time being, hopefully there will be some movement in about 6 - 8 weeks, then revisit.

I am still trying to digest all the lenes I got from Ebay :loco: I think maybe (just maybe) I got to much:facesmack:

In the meantime I have been shooting the mannequin head and can only report that some of the old lenses are SHARP!! I have some neat stuff -- been putting together to shoot barrel lenses and lenses without mounts. I post some pics the adapters next week.

Next week, I will take the rig outdoors and shoot - should be different. Thinking about choosing a good cityscape location.

Thanks

Phil
I've just got the IQ260 2 days ago but been very busy with work. I will try to get real pictures next week. The wireless with Capture Pilot is fantastic. To see the picture almost as big as seen on the ground glass of the 8x10 (but brighter) on the iPad is just breathtaking, too good to be true! The new DF+ clearly shows improvement from the DF.
I have the same experience with old lenses. Some of them are very good and absolutely cheap. I bought the Mamiya 35mm AF (broken AF when I bought but now working again) few years ago for less than $200 and it's just a fantastic lens and I've been using this lens all the time.
Have fun!
Pramote

Last edited: