The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ260 Achromatic Road Trip

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This last weekend Brian Hirshfield and I drove upstate to shoot a wedding.

It was a short trip, and we mostly used other cameras (not a great idea to use a system you're not intimately familiar for a wedding), but on the ride home we found a few targets of opportunity to try out the Phase One IQ260 Achromatic.

All shot with IQ260 Achromatic on Phase One DF+ with 55LS lens with Hoya 72R (720nm cut off IR pass, visible block filter).

jagsiva

Doug, very nice. Despite the couple of posts on the other forum, I have decided to move my discussion here as it was getting a little silly over there.

I finally got around to processing one of the IR shots on the D800 and Coastal Optics 60mm. Not MF, but I am hoping that my tech lenses will give me similar results with the Achromat.

Still getting used to PP techniques with IR...

The original is about 18000px by 5000px. Crop below (bottom right corner of the big ship) is 1000x550. This lens is quite incredible across the entire UV/visibile/IR spectrum.

The Achromat is a true B&W sensor. A lot of people didn't get the Leica MM because it 'had the same sensor as the M9' in many peoples opinions. When it became available, it blew people away. Shooting with a true B&W sensor vs a bayer interpolated sensor are two completely different things and you should not underestimate how different until you try.

The spectral response, abberations and generally speaking lenses behave totally differently. The image is not interpolated in anyway at all. Aliasing behaves totally differently too. Every pixel is of equal luminosity (excluding wide angle of incidence issues), there are no colour casts and the overlay of different spectral responses of the lens can be manipulated at source by filtering the light entering the camera, you realise that, as lovely as tools like silver efex are, they cannot truly replicate a B&W capture, filtered at source.

I have the MM and purposefully left it behind on my current trip because a. I wanted to capture some specific colour images and b. It's quality is so stunning that prints a large format (IQ160 captured) sizes have almost no visible deterioration, I'm using the IQ160 too little.

Monochrome sensors are very very special.

Doug, please do NOT publish the RAW files, my wallet cannot handle an Achromat right now.

- Paul

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've got a 260 and a 260 Achromatic coming for review next week and the week after. Yum!

kdphotography

Doug, very nice. Despite the couple of posts on the other forum, I have decided to move my discussion here as it was getting a little silly over there.
But I did find your sense of humor to be funny! :D

I would love to see an IQ260 file printed on my B&W K7 piezography printer. I'd print one gratis for you Doug if you have a suitable image for print.

ken

jlm

Workshop Member
doug, i'd give that a try for you as well, since Ken sucked me into the piezo pool for my 4880!

cunim

Doug, just my usual little cheer for multiscan. The properties that make the achromatic so interesting - I am tempted but not sold - could be available in a multispectral imager.

jduncan

This last weekend Brian Hirshfield and I drove upstate to shoot a wedding.

It was a short trip, and we mostly used other cameras (not a great idea to use a system you're not intimately familiar for a wedding), but on the ride home we found a few targets of opportunity to try out the Phase One IQ260 Achromatic.

All shot with IQ260 Achromatic on Phase One DF+ with 55LS lens with Hoya 72R (720nm cut off IR pass, visible block filter).

Nice,

Do you have any on the visible spectrum (that is no IR filter)

Best regards,
James

anGy

Would be great if you could make a raw file available.
I'm stunned by the Leica MM and can't imagine how good the apochromatic should be !!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, just my usual little cheer for multiscan. The properties that make the achromatic so interesting - I am tempted but not sold - could be available in a multispectral imager.
I do not agree or disagree with the above. But I reiterate you will not see Phase One produce such a product. Micro-stepping/multi-shot is not in their blood.

Brian and I did some manual R/G/B/IR stacks with this back. I found it academically interesting but would only do it for that purpose; I do not endorse it as a practical endeavor.

Doug,
Theas are truly amazing.
Thanks for sharing them.
I think they turned out well, so thanks.

But I'm more excited to see what our super-talented clients can do with the 260 Achromat. I only share these because, well, I love photography and thought they might be of interest.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Nice,

Do you have any on the visible spectrum (that is no IR filter)

Best regards,
James
Yep. I have several where IR-block filters were used and several where no filters were used (meaning IR+Visible was hitting the sensor). I won't have time this week to work them up to post (nor are they anything special subject-wise) but if you shoot me an email I can link you to a few un-adjusted raws you can play with.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Would be great if you could make a raw file available.
I'm stunned by the Leica MM and can't imagine how good the apochromatic should be !!
Just shoot me an email and I'll gladly send you some EIP raw files.

It's really an interesting system to shoot with. Challenging but very fun and great quality.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
But I did find your sense of humor to be funny! :D

I would love to see an IQ260 file printed on my B&W K7 piezography printer. I'd print one gratis for you Doug if you have a suitable image for print.
I don't know if any of these are worthy of a big print. But I think I do have a good option for you... I'm sending you a PM.

doug, i'd give that a try for you as well, since Ken sucked me into the piezo pool for my 4880!
Does that make you a Piezo head? Or a Piezophile?