The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What lens to bring to Iceland for Hasselblad H4d 40?

JohnW.

Murphy's Law #4.5 - Whatever lens you don't take will be the lens you need most !!

As this is a photography trip (as opposed to a holiday) you should consider taking all the lenses, better to take and not need. Also don't forget to have sufficient insurance to cover the possibility of theft and/or damage and don't concentrate too much on photography that you forget to enjoy the sights.
Have a great time !

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I wouldn't worry too much about theft in Iceland but I'd certainly be wary of accidental damage as it's pretty 'raw' there.

I was there in April and unsurprisingly I'd recommend taking your lenses to cover all eventualities from wide through to telephoto because both extremes will present themselves whether it be in the form of waterfalls, seascapes, expansive volcanic scenery or details everywhere. Also although you mentioned that you'll be shooting landscape I defy you to not shoot at least one Icelandic pony or herd.

If it were me I'd be taking the 28, 35-90 and 150 as the core. The primes could be an alternative to the zoom depending upon your shooting style.

When I went I used my 23HR, 35XL, 90HR and 150 XL on my IQ160. I addition I used my D600 with 14mm, 24-120VR & 70-200VR. There are lots of telephoto opportunities so don't overlook that. Close in on the beaches and waterfalls you'll easily use your widest lenses. You may be surprised how much also you may want to shoot in places like Reykjavik too. It's a very target rich place.

Last edited:

powerziggy

Thank you for all the input. It really helps the planning of what I should bring for the trip. I do use Lee filter system, and besides the Hasselblad, I will bring the Fuji XE1, so I think I should be able to shoot in Reykjavik when I am out and about in the city. I have never been to Iceland, and I am thinking of how much Iceland krona I should exchange at my local bank. Is the access to ATM readily available? Thank you very much again. I really appreciate all the help.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just use ATM machines. Just make sure that you tell your bank that you're going to Iceland. I had no problems at all in Reykjavik or the larger towns. The smaller places have less options although gas/petrol service stations generally have options to use cards or get cash.

Btw, fuel isn't cheap. Actually, nothing is cheap there! However, the scenery is priceless.

Jeffg53

Diesel is about 242KR per litre. That's great advice about letting your bank know. I had a card blocked after a $5 purchase. I almost got nostalgic and bought a bottle of Australian until I did the conversion and found that it was 8 times more than bottle shop prices in Sydney.

Jeffg53

I've always had slight vignetting with my Lee and 95mm adapter filter, but I use the squares and holder, so that's probably why.
Johnny, there have been a number of threads about the H4D and lee filters. It may be worth searching. I don't remember the details. I use the universal hood with 2 lots and also the polariser without issues.

powerziggy

I am sorry. I have another question that is unrelated to camera equipment. I am going with this photography tour group, so lodging, transportation and meals are all included, but I will have a couple of extra days in Reykjavik to check out the city on my own. I have read about the tips is already included in restaurant bills and other services, so there is no need to add extra tip, is that true?

Stuart Richardson

No need to tip...ever. Don't let anyone fool you! Credit cards (visa) are taken everywhere. I live here and have not used cash in months for anything. Icelanders don't usually use cash, so you will find credit cards are accepted everywhere, even for small purchases. You will find ATMs in all the towns, but probably not at some of the country hotels and tourist stops.

In terms of lenses, if it were me I would take just the 50mm and 100mm. I don't find super wides very useful here, but your taste may vary. The landscape is so vast in general, that super wides make things just look tiny and distant. They are more useful in cramped environments, which are not really that common here. Telephotos can be useful, but again, it depends on how you like to work. I would say about 85% of my landscape work here is shot between a 35mm and 100mm equivalent from 35mm.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I think lens choices are tastes and different from person to person.
Although I've lived in Colorado, not Iceland, and had never been there, I have a hard time believing you can't find interesting foreground to compose with the 28mm or 35-90mm in Iceland.
I've been traveling a lot and has never experienced a single place in which the 28mm or 35-90mm could not be used. Sometimes, you just have to use lots of creativity to find nice foregrounds for compositions.
At least bring the 28mm which is very light, please. You will be regretted if you decide not bringing it!

Ken_R

Just thinking about the way I compose landscape images I would feel quite comfortable going anywhere with just the 35-90mm lens on a H4D-40.

I basically travel with just two lenses with my Arca Rm3Di and IQ160 setup. The 40mm and the 70mm. And its not just because adding lenses is VERY expensive on that system because when I went to Glacier National park I really only used my 24mm TS-E and the 40mm pancake on my Canon 5D3. I went on a lot of hikes with just those two lenses. I did add the 70-200 for a few days.

Bottom line lens choice is a very personal choice depending on the way you work, your style.

That said the 28mm + the 35-90 + the 150 seems to me a very complete kit. I don't think you want to carry anything more than that.

tcdeveau

I'd take the 28mm, 35-90, and the 150 combo. I only had the 35-90 when I want and could've used wider and longer in a couple places, but the 35-90 was perfect for 90% of everything else. Also, because of the weather, I really appreciated the 35-90 and not having to change lenses in the wind/rain/snow/etc.

powerziggy

Thank you for all the great input. After much consideration, I have decided to take the 28mm, 35-90mm and 150mm along for the trip. I may bring the 50mm if there is room left. Another question is about the adapter for any electrical chargers. I have read different report when it comes to type c or type f adapter being commonly used in Iceland. Which type should I bring? Thank you very much.

Stuart Richardson

I am not sure what type c and type f are, but the plugs here are mostly standard European Schuko connections. That will be about 90% of what you will find. At some older places you might find the smaller, thinner version, but pretty much everywhere you will find the Schuko plugs.

powerziggy

Thank you very much. I purchased the right adapter then. I am very excited about this trip to Iceland. I can't wait to see this beautiful country.